180 days rule

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
hamistagan
Novice
Novice

180 days rule

Post by hamistagan »

Last time I have got visa at the airport just for 30 days. Does anybody now if this visa should be extended twice for 30 days? Embassy warned me, that I can stay in Thailand only 90 days during period of 180 days, which means, that after 90 days I have to leave Thailand and have to stay abroad next 90 days. So, If after 90 days in Thailand I will apply for Thai visa at Royal Thai embassy in Phnom Penh (for example) I will be refused. People have different experience, but anybody now how is it work? Used to be easy way just go to Penang and come back. :( :(
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It all rather depends on how long you want to stay, what you want to do and what your circumstances are, but if you wanted to stay, say 6-9 months without working, the simplest way would be to get a triple- or multiple-entry tourist visa from the Thai Consulate or Embassy in your home country before travelling.
This is the way
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Lomu's the resident expert, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if you get 3 X 30 day tourist visas (90 days) you have to leave the Kingdom for 180 days after that, not 90 days, as you stated, OP.

Dtai maii is correct. Best idea is to apply for a longer visa in your own country.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

There are 2 points here:
Firstly, a 30 day visa cannot be extended as such in Thailand for 30 days (I believe the current maximum is 7 days).
You have to leave the country (i.e. at Ranong or similar) and then get a further 30 days on re-entry.
Secondly, as far as I am aware, you are allowed 3 x 30 day visa on entry within a 6 month period, so that means that you would then have to be out of the country for 3 months (90 days) before getting another one.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A clarification is that the 30 day stamp received upon entry without a visa is not a visa, it's a visa wavier. Some countries enjoy 30 days, some 15, some 10, and some nothing. There is also a desk at the airports where the "nothing" countries can apply for a valid visa upon entry. You'll see people sleeping there, for hours or days. No clue why airlines allow them to board without a visa, and no visa waiver in place. However, I've been told this service is mainly for people arriving into the manual labour market here, and pre-sponsored/financially guaranteed, no work permit required.

My understanding is that if you are from a visa waiver country, you can not go to this desk upon arrival and apply for a visa of greater length then the wavier your country already has in place.

I think New Zealand remains the only one with a higher 60 OR 90 visa wavier, as they reciprocate in kind when Thai's visit NZ. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

To the OP,
Good advice below. However, your 30 day "visa exemption" stamp can maybe be extended for 7 days. That's all, if you're lucky. However, don't bank on it.
It's far better that you get a "proper" visa from a Thai Embassy or consulate in your own country before you come here.
The Tourist Visa, as opposed to a simple 30 day entry stamp, will give you 60 days on arrival and the visa can be extended for another 30 days at any immigration office within Thailand for 1,900 Baht.
So, that gives you a total of 90 days.
If you want to stay longer, ask the consulate in your home country about a "single/double/multiple" entry Tourist visa.
It's really not that difficult to take care of the visa situation in your home country. Over here, it's a nightmare.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

BTW OP,
Phnom Phen is renowned for its "unfriendliness" towards any other than Cambodian citizens getting a Thai Tourist Visa.
I mean the Thai Embassy. They seem to have their own agenda.
Beware.
hamistagan
Novice
Novice

Post by hamistagan »

I just checked the royal Thai embassy at Prague. They told me, that from October 2006 everybody get only 30 days at the airport with valid tourist visa issued at the royal Thai embassy. (Used to be 60 days). Also my friend from Italy was last month in BKK and got only 30 days with valid visa. You can apply for extension 30 days and you can do it two times. (Fee is 1.900 THB). So, I understand now. Thanks for help.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

A Tourist Visa, prepaid and obtained at a Thai Embassy or consulate prior to your visit, is valid for 60 days and can be extended once within Thailand for a further 30 days. Cost of extension is 1,900 Baht. This applies if you're from one of the following 40 countries:
http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490
Otherwise, the duration of the visa differs.
It would appear that Prague is not covered.
If you arrive on a "visa exemption" (ie 30 days free on arrival) you can only stay in Thailand for 90 days out of 180 on these. There is nothing wrong with your going to a Thai Embassy/consulate (say Penang) andf getting a "proper" Tourist Visa that would then allow you to stay for a further 60+30 days.
To the OP - try and get your visa from another country before you arrive - Germany for instance.
Sorry, I don't have more time to look into this as I'm doing my visa run in 10 mins. The link to the MFA website is the one you shold look at.
Good luck.