Registration at police station for new arrrivals?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Lina
Rookie
Rookie

Registration at police station for new arrrivals?

Post by Lina »

Hi,

Hope it's ok I post this questions here.
We are going to visit Huay Yang. approx 100 km south of HH. We will arrive the 25:th. Today I got a mail from friends there telling us that "we have to register at the police station within 24 hours from the time we arrive". Otherwise we will have to pay 800 baht och 1600 baht.

Have you heard anything about this? Is it because of the election? From what we heard it's an old law but which is not normally followed, but now it suddenly is. Strange?

Thanks for your help!

/Lina :|
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Lina,
I think the answer to your question is no, don't worry about it. Immigration would have no idea of your movements within Thailand because there are no checks made at the provincial borders, only when you enter and leave the country. There is an old law that has apparently been 'abused' by some at Hua Hin immigration with some people but by the sound of it you are going to be either arriving on a 30 day visa exemption stamp or a tourist visa, and even if you are on another type of visa still don't worry about it. If in any doubt about this, contact either the Thai Embassy or consulate in your country, or your own Embassy when you arrive here. I hope that eases your mind.
Lina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lina »

Thanks very much for your help!

Seems I don't have to worry.

/Lina
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Just wondering if there was a reason why this is in the after dark section?

Or were you just trying to be circumspect? (It didn't work). :thumb:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

caller wrote:Just wondering if there was a reason why this is in the after dark section?

Or were you just trying to be circumspect? (It didn't work). :thumb:
Where should it be - IDC? Only joking. However, as always I'm a bit behind the times, but this seems clear cut legally - unless someone else can find a more recent pronouncement:
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en ... =alienstay