Khao sam roi yot national park

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
stubby
Amateur
Amateur

Khao sam roi yot national park

Post by stubby »

Thinking of making the trip down to the park during my next visit to hua hin at the end of march.
Has anybody been to the park and could give me a few ideas of whats to see there.
Maybe also have an overnight stay at the beach front bungalows at dolphin bay whilst down in the park area ,has anybody stayed there and can comment on the accomodation. ?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Haven't actually been in the park for a few years but have explored the surrounding area, have a look here:

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/ph ... t7940.html

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/khao-sam-roi-yot.htm

http://tourismhuahin.com/khao-sam-roi-yot-huahin.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
skildpadden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skildpadden »

I was there in november but did not stay in the bungalows at the beach though. But I think they looked very nice.

We came early to beat the tourist groups - that meant we actually had the beautiful cave with the King Rama V temple all to ourselves. So I can recommend getting there early.

But remember good walking sandals and an extra tshirt, because the climb up the hill to the cave is a bit tough.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

It's a nice relatively quiet area. Especially during the week. It tends to get a bit busy with beach bbq's and visiting locals during the weekend.

There are quite a few places where you can stay. From around 500 baht (Thai style, Thai loo, no hot water etc.) to some pretty impressive (around 900 baht/night) bungalows with TV and air-con. The bungalows are not directly on the beach because there's a road that runs between them and the sea.

I don't think you'll find any problem getting accommodation in March, so I suggest you don't pre-book. Drive down there and make your choice while you're there.

Good luck, and have fun. :)

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
stubby
Amateur
Amateur

Post by stubby »

thanks all for the info..
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

The walk to the pavilion in the cave mentioned by skildpadden was mosquito infested when we visited - the worst I have ever experienced in Thailand and even worse than the national parks up North on the Burmese border. Might not be so bad in March/April but dress appropriately and take plenty of repellent.

You can get there two ways - long way overland or, nicer in my view, take a boat to the nearest beach (a stretch of palm fringed unspoilt white sand) and walk from there. I forget the details but the wardens at the park entrance should be able to advise.

This thread has inspired me to take a trip back there on my forthcoming trip so thanks for that Stubby!
stubby
Amateur
Amateur

Post by stubby »

was the mozzy problem during the day or did you walk up in the late afternoon / evening. ?
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

It was in the early afternoon.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Speaking of mosquitoes, isn’t that the place where King Mongkut caught the malaria that killed him in the 19th century?
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

You know, I'm pretty sure you're right! :shock:
skildpadden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skildpadden »

Yes, I was there around 9-10 in the morning and the mosquitoes were not so vicious at that time - that might have given me a more pleasant hike.

Although a can of repellent is always nice to have in the backpack. :wink:
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

I find the "Mosiguard" natural very useful. It's just eucalyptus based - no nasty chemicals.

I haven't been there for ages either but you used to get a boat a Bang phu
(Crab village!) round the headland to where you take the path up the mountain.

SJ