TOT ADSL

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
lomuamart

TOT ADSL

Post by lomuamart »

I've been having trouble with TOT "free" dial up for ages.
I went ballistic with them yesterday and they sent some technicians round. Usual excuses, including keeping the telephone junction box off the floor as it's cold - that was a new one. Anyway, I continued with my rant and it was eventually organised that a more senior person came round in the evening to take a look.
He's going to try to get me a router on free trial for a couple of weeks, hook me up to the ADSL connection and see how it goes.
If all's well, he says that a router will cost me @1,500 Baht from any computer shop in town and has recommended the 256/128 Kbps connection for home use. This is on promo at 500 pmth, instead of 1,000.
Does this all make sense?
buksida

Post by buksida »

It makes sense but don't expect anything in terms of a performance increase. The reason that these "ADSL" packages are so cheap is that they overload the provider with subscribers, none of which ever get the promised speed except maybe at 4am when the rest are asleep.

This is why the TT&T maxnet package is so slow, TOT will be no different. The only way to get true ADSL at that speed is to go for one of the more expensive packages (that is why they have several 256/128 packages at prices ranging from 500 to 3,000 baht - the more expensive ones actually work as there are less subscribers, the cheaper ones have hundreds of subscribers all pushing the speed down to less than a dialup)

This said it will be better than your current system so give it a go (you may have problems on Windows 98 though).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Yung

Post by Yung »

I would need at least 256 upstream beacuse i'm going to use an IP-phone adapter. Which company would you reccomend, Buksida? Link please?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I would recommend one of the more expensive packages as they limit the amount of subscribers per port. The cheaper 500 and 790 baht packages have hundreds of subscribers connected at each node so the speed is shockingly slow.

If you need 256 upstream I would go for a 1024/512 package at around 5,000 baht per month (Ji-net/I-net/Loxinfo). You still wont get those speeds but you'll be closer to them than you would with the cheapo ones.

None of the local places have websites.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Well, I went for it and got TOT ADSL yesterday. I know it's early days, but the speed of connection nearly knocks me off my seat after the pathetic thing I had before.
Did a speed test this morning and got
Speed test 189.8 kbs
Storage 23.2 kbs
1 MB download 44.2 secs
Rating mediocre.

Is this any good? From an amateurs point of view, I'm impressed.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

My reason for getting ADSL is a bit simpler than that. It was to free up the phone line so anyone can still call in while my son is on the net :roll: . And like some of us, he tends to lose all track of time once he's on... :mrgreen:
วินเชนท์
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

lomuamart dont forget you are on a freebie for a few weeks!!
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yeah, they've given me until 1/2nd Sept to decide whether I take it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

That speed result is not bad (providing its a 256/128 connection). You need to test it at different times of the day. It usually grinds to a halt in the evenings when every kid in Thailand is playing Quake III online with Mongolia.

I'll be getting a 2Mbit connection from CAT hopefully at the end of the month, we'll see how that goes.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

DONT BE FOOLED BY PROMOTIONAL PROPAGANDA
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Soul Monsta,
This deal wasn't on promo. I threatened to cause HH TOT major problems with BKK if they didn't sort my phone line out. Hence the offer they made me.
They were going on about how BKK has upgraded their service and that only happened a few days ago. Hence my modem only coming yesterday.
Time will tell and I've certainly taken on board your comments. Thanks.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Oh my Buddha,

I can not believe that people are still arguing about the pros and cons of last centuries technologies.

Get the best you can afford and listen to the words of the good Dr.

Do not submit to marketing bullshit.

I made a good living in Farangland writing it.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
buksida

Post by buksida »

Guess wrote: I can not believe that people are still arguing about the pros and cons of last centuries technologies.
May have something to do with the fact that last centuries technology is all we can get in this backwater village.

Any better suggestions on getting a reliable high speed internet connection in Hua Hin without paying enough to clear Thailands international debt every month would be appreciated.