Pre Fabricated Homes

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
lee808
Amateur
Amateur

Pre Fabricated Homes

Post by lee808 »

Hi All

Does anybody know of any Thai companies that manufacture and sell Pre-Fabricated homes ?

Kind Regards

Lee
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Why do you want a pre fab?
lee808
Amateur
Amateur

Pre Fabricated Homes

Post by lee808 »

To live in, there well built and hopefully cheaper than having a house built from scatch ? and i dont really want to have to deal with rogue property developers, for which i hear there are a few in the area for which i wish to buy some land, Hua Hin area ! And also in my opinion Hua Hin is extradnarily overpriced in almost everything regarding real estate.

And im not rich enough to retire on my pension yet, lol.

Basically im a 35 year old british guy looking at buying some cheap land in the area and wont be able to afford to have a house built straight away so was thinking about trying to buy a Prefab House/Park Home.

What are your thoughts please, i'd be glad to hear them.

Kind Regards

Lee
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Reasonable approach Lee.

I'm sorry I don't have any leads for you but a tip - if you do manage to get a Prefab or Park home, I recommend that you build it as high off the ground as is practical in order to take advantage of cooloing breezes and more importantly, construct some sort of secondary roof or canopy structure above it to ensure it is kept in the shade. Otherwise you will bake in there.

Good luck in your venture anyway.
norm
Professional
Professional

Post by norm »

Haven't heard of a prefab in LOS but one thing to keep in mind is TERMITES they can eat a wood house in no time at all. Even got them in a window frame on the 9th floor, and that was the only wood in the condo. The little buggers fly high.

Metal prefab, although more expensive might make more sense. Those I have heard of. Being brought in from Australia to your design.

Good Luck in your hunt and keep us posted on how it goes. :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

There were a couple of companies building pre-fab housing a few years ago, I am a bit out of touch with that area now, so not sure if they still exist. The Thai Yellow Pages list several, but a lot of them are "container" type units for site offices, etc. As Norm has mentioned, Australian manufacturers are in the market, and did do a promotion a couple of years ago. Google it and / or get hold of a Thai Yellow Pages Directory.

There was also another company that made a big splash a few years ago building pre-fab "log cabin" designs. As Norm has pointed out, you would need to take precautions against termites with "wood" type structures.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

No need to be prefab to build a cheap house. Also, no need to use a developer, just use a Thai builder. You might be surprised how much you can get built for under 1 million baht. Agree with Jamie - do it Thai style raised from the ground. As for cheap land in Hua Hin - this is where you may come unstuck. Very difficult to find, depends what you think is 'cheap'. Also, how do you intend to buy the land? You are probably aware, foreigners are not allowed to buy land.

A friend of mine once joked - lease the land for 30 years and buy a caravan to live off it. Whilst it was meant to be a joke, it got me wondering if there was a market for a trailer park in Hua Hin!

Good luck (particularly with buying your cheap land).
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Lee808, Hi bud,i have seen wood kit form building if you look on the net you should find them.I am 38, married to a Thai and have built a house up north in Surin from start to finish.My wife went back to Thailand to project manage the house and buy in all the materials i just went out neering completion.The other poster is right you will be surprised wot you can do for your money if you are carefull.The house is elevated by 1 meter it has 4 beds, and 2 bathrooms, laundry. large open plan kitchen, and lounge,and a nice big varander on the front,also a must have is a large wall and gates to keep the scabby dogs out, the labour charge to do this,agreed price from the start 5k wot a bargain,one piece of advice i will give you wot you think it would cost to build double it,it's not the basic building its all the fixtures and fittings that go with it because if it's your gaff you dont want cheap poor quality fitting.We thought that we could do the lot for 1m it ended up more than double that but once you start a big project like that you cant really stop, i dont regret building it, it is an amazing house but for the money i could have perchesed something in Hua-Hin were i really do want to live,and will do one day.Another route i would look down is to buy an old Thai house very cheap and then chuck some money at that.If you PM me Your e-mail i van send you some pictures of house under construction.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Kendo, can I just clarify what you said there? You've bought the land, got it ready for building. Then the labour costs for the whole project were 5,000... pounds? dollars? baht? This comes in kit form, and you hire workers to put it up for you. Costs around 1 million baht + labour, but expect to add significantly to that for fixtures and fittings.

Can you post the link, please? I'd like to have a look.
This is the way
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

No it's not a kit it is a proper house built from concrete blocks and then renderd the labour cost was 5k Stirling. My wife all ready owned the land send me Pm with your email and i will show you wot we have built.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Anybody know anything about the Thai style buildings on display on the left side heading north along Rama 2 road, a few kms after the junction with Petchkesam Road (hwy 4)?
They appear to be built up ready to dismantle and move.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lee808
Amateur
Amateur

Suggestions Appreciated

Post by lee808 »

Hi

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this topic.

It was just a thought regarding prefabs, i may decide to get a proper bungalow or house built instead, just looking at all options at the moment.

Jockey, When i find some land that i want to purchase i would probably like to do it the way alot of people have started to do and that is to buy the land on a 30 year lease with an option to renew for another 30, i believe this is the way alot of farang buy land now ? correct me if i am wrong please ? I didn't really want to have to buy the land in someone elses name at present !

i totally take on board what you say regarding the difficulty in trying to find cheap land in Hua Hin, to be honest i would consider anything upto about 20 kilometers away, Cha Am or even further afield towards Petburi, or maybe the other way a little towards Pranburi.

My girlfriend lives in a small village just outside Tha Yang and i stay there sometimes, its really nice, i didn't think i'd like it but the more i stay there the more it grows on me, and the land is cheap there too, her mother bought 6 Rai about 5 years ago for 1 million Baht.

Maybe i'll shelve the prefab idea and thing about building a house from bricks and mortar, plenty to think about i guess, would really appreciate it if anyone did have any web addresses though regarding prefab.

Thanks again.
lee808
Amateur
Amateur

I forgot to ask

Post by lee808 »

Sorry, another question i wanted to ask, obviously in every country in the world there is good and bad times to buy land/property due to economic climates, booms and busts etc etc.

Be interested to know opinions on whether now is a good time to buy in Thailand (Hua Hin Area) or not ?

Have the current economy problems in the west had a trickle down effect in Thailand as yet ? are prices pretty static ? rising ? or falling ?

Thanks again
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Lee i hope you have recived my e-amil the first two times it failed,if i can help you any more just PM me and i will get back to you.One other peace of advice i can offer you is a lot of the land around Hua Hin area is x, army land there is red or green chanute's depending who owned the land, if it is x army they still have rights over it for so many years,i know it is a bit of a mine field....pardon the pun lee, but i would ask the board because i don't know to much on this matter. 8)
lee808
Amateur
Amateur

Pics Received

Post by lee808 »

Ken Thanks for the pics you pm'd me regarding the housing project you have undertaken. I like the look of the house and may be interested in asking some questions at some point.

If anyone alse wanted a look i could pm them over.

Lee