British Embassy Pension Letter ( Retirement Visa)

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
PET
Legend
Legend

British Embassy Pension Letter ( Retirement Visa)

Post by PET »

I have been unable to find this information in previous topics.

I have a retirement visa which was achieved with in excess of Bht 800,000 in my bank account for more than the previous 3 months.
When I renew I would like to use my Uk pension income which exceeds the Bht 65,000 monthly minimum.

My pensions are paid directly into my UK bank account and is this ok to get the British embassy letter or does the pension have to be paid regularly into my Thai bank account? I have had people tell me that it must be seen to come into my Thai bank so perhaps some embassies have different requirements PET
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

If you go down the pension line all you have to do is show the Bristish Embassy the proof of your pension, ie where it comes from and how much it is. You can do this with proof of the source of your pension or bank statements though you don't need to provide The Embassy any proof of bank accounts if you don't want to and there is no requirement for a Thai Bank.

The requirement for a Thai bank is a Thai Immigration requirement, and then only if you go down the 800,000 route.

I did my visa last week and all the Immigration Official did was look and the embassy letter, which was in Sterling then convert it into Baht, and then gave me my extension

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servle ... 8625161097
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Spot on Governor.
I'm about to go through this soon and have checked with BKK and The British Embassy. My income won't be through a pension, so The Embassy want to see my three previous months UK bank statements to issue the letter (I think they'll need that anyway as per the above link). I am already registered with The Embassy.
It should, hopefully, be as easy as that. If it is, it'll make a huge difference because HH have been giving me trouble about the marriage/family income extension as I don't want to transfer funds over here every month - just my decision. HH want to see a minimum 40k a month coming into a Thai bank account for that. The 65k a month for retirement only has to be certified by The Embassy.
Incidentely, BKK do not agree with HH's interpretation of the rules for family income. "The letter from your Embassy is the important document", but I can't be bothered upsetting the locals here, so roll on Penang again for another Non O - single entry - and I should be past the 50 mark.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

lomu,
I was granted my visa extension to a Non O (marriage) visa just over a week ago by HH immigration on the basis of my income which is not a pension but an investment that pays monthly into my UK bank, and all I provided regarding income was the original documents of the investment and statements to the end of 2007 and the embassy letter. None of this money is transferred to Thailand (except by my ATM withdrawals, which I did not show nor was asked for any evidence of). I should update the thread I started about the process really.... :oops:
Bangkok make the decision anyway on these ones (I had to wait for it to come back from there), so whatever anyone says about the immigration office in HH, they are only the gophers really. On the other hand someone told me that the retirement extensions are decided locally - can anyone confirm that? I am so relieved to have got the extension now though, as I assume if there are any more changes to the amounts required I will be able to be grandfathered on the old amounts.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

WL,
That's really good to hear. If you can give detailed information about the documents necessary - and I'm even talking about photos etc etc, I've got a list as long as my arm - I'd be eternally grateful.
BTW, you're quite correct in saying that BKK make the decision regarding marriage/family income extensions. Retirement extensions can be decided upon at a local level.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

lomu,
The opening post on this thread lists what I provided, so if that is any help have a look. It is possible that the fact I have a child with my wife had a bearing on the outcome - I guess it might show that the relationship is more stable in their eyes? I don't really agree with that if it is the case though but we have no choice! Good luck with the applications everyone anyway - it can be done! :cheers:
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Govenor, that was most helpful and a great relief.
Does one have to get a new letter each year? PET
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

PET wrote: Does one have to get a new letter each year? PET
Glad to be of help.

Yes I am afraid you do have to get a new letter every year, and again it's a Thai requirement not the fault of our friends at the Embassy.