Where do we fit in?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Where do we fit in?

Post by Spitfire »

OK everyone, would like to ask a simple question, but maybe the answer is not so simple.

We all know that in Thailand that there is a strict hierarcy for the locals and that when they speak to each other, they know exactly where they are in the social order relating to each other within a couple of sentences.

My question is,
Where do we fit into this hierarcy?

We all know that the hierarcy triangle is "You know at the the top" and I'm sure that most of us know who's at the bottom.

I have heard many Thais say that we fit in somewhere, but, to be honest with you all, the question of exactly where has aways eluded me.

Is it just on an individual basis or do they have a blanket position for all of us? I find this difficult to believe as I have often watched their different reactions to farangs based on; How there are dressed? Who they are with? What they are you doing? Can they speak Thai? Do you have money? Do you work here or are you just on holiday? Etc, etc, etc.

I am posting this from Vientiane because the university I work at has a sloppy paperwork department that can't sort out my work permit properly, so I have to get a new non imigrant visa.

The reason that I am posting this is because sometimes I like to have a quiet beer and watch the world go by. Did this in Khon Kaen, Nong Khai and Vientiane.

Having seen the the way everyone is treated depending on their situation and their looks, sometime it makes me wonder.

The whole spectrum is here, from bums that should be somewhere else to the guys dressed in tailored suites that have shoes you can see your face in.

Would be interested to know what the consensus is.

:cheers: Everyone

Edited for spelling
Last edited by Spitfire on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
buksida

Re: Where do we fit in?

Post by buksida »

spitfire wrote: My question is,
Where do we fit into this hierary?
Farangs in Thai society are somewhere between that layer of muck you get at the bottom of ponds and the crud that clogs the plughole in the sink when you haven't scraped the plates clean properly before doing the washing up.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I usually feel that I am receiving a fair level of respect, but that respect is normally bestowed upon me by the level of respest that many Thais have for my wife.

Almost everywhere we go, I am called Papa or Lung.

However I am a realist, and know that if I go anywhere new, alone, my status would be akin to what Buksi describes above.

It is my presumption that Thais place us in the food chain according to how we treat our Thai partners. So maybe we have to earn our position in their hierary triangle - it is not automatic.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Unfortunately buksida is right.
And no it is not our attitude. (I can speak for buksida here because I know him quite well) en yes we also know many many genuine friendly Thais.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
brentaz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brentaz »

Hi,
Very interesting question, My wife and I have been to HH the last three summers on holiday and were out there again in august. I didnt realise there was a low opinion of non thais in Thailand. Why is that .... in Dublin where im from is very multicultural to which im glad to see and always try and show respect. Perhaps were seen as wealthy types living it up while they struggle on low incomes. What about land of smiles and all that... we have been to thailand 7 times and really love the place its just a shame that just under the surface lies this resentment..... or am i judgeing this correct. :cheers: bren.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Thais are polite and civil to us for the most part.
And for the most part we aren't part of anything to them.
Maybe a bit like Poles in the UK, Turks in Germany, Native peoples in Canada and USA, Indos in Holland, Africans in Europe and so on.

Don't fret, pay your bills, smile, be nice, keep your eyes open and try to lay off the booze at least a bit.
frankbangkok

Internationals In Thailand

Post by frankbangkok »

I have often thought that we are regarded according to how we conduct ourselves here in Thailand. Some internationals carry on in the unsightly bars all night, contributing little or nothing worthy to the society. Whatever opinion the Thais have of these internationals, I suggest that we might have a similar opinion of someone who conducted himself in that same way in our homelands.

His Majesty The King has often honored internationals who have contributed to Thai society in some meaningful way. The Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant is the most awarded order of Thailand. It was established in 1861 by King Rama IV. The Royal Order of The White Elephant has been bestowed on many internationals and I suggest that it is up to us to conduct ourselves in such a way that we will be seen with a measure of respect.
Look at the means which a man employs, consider his motives, observe his pleasures. A man simply cannot conceal himself!
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

We are about as respected in Thailand as a bad bottom smell. They tolorate us because we spend money...
Its sad but true, don't kid yourselves otherwise... :|
www.35mmview.com
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

We smile, be respectful and friendly to our bosses at work. We want them to be happy with us and keep giving us money.
We don't really like them though. If they stopped paying us we'd find another that will pay us and be nice to them.

They can definately like you though, as Big Boy experiences and I think my in-laws like me, I always try to be friendly. But I don't believe they respect us or properly bond with us though, on the whole.
I believe you could give the in-laws loads, provide them with a comfortable life, be nice to them for 20 years but given the chance they'd still take your house in a heart beat.

Sad way to think I know.

SJ
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Super Joe wrote:but given the chance they'd still take your house in a heart beat.

Sad way to think I know.

SJ
True. But not too bad as long as you are aware of it
I guess that is why we are still here
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Mods, please correct this. Pushed the wrong button (review)
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Roel: I hope this is what you wanted.
PM me if I did it wrong.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Had to post this relpy, couldn't wait till it's over.

Big Boy, Randy Cornhole and Super Joe, not too far off, agree.

Roel, good point, suppose the worst that can happen is you lose 2 million baht(house and car), unless you've been really niave and this doesn't apply to everyone, in the west it would be 10 times that.

Buksi, shooting from the hip, quality, like it, let those peace-makers rip.

Good posts everyone, keep on commenting. Still interested to know what anyone else thinks that wants to speak their mind, feel free!

8)

Edited for spelling
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

OK, slightly different angle here from a female living here with her Scottish husband.

I can quite honestly say that, mostly, we have been treated with the utmost respect. We don't own a house and we don't have a flashy car, we also don't flash our money around. I've heard comments saying 'The Thais always have their hands out' - I totally agree. We get given so much free fruit it's almost embarrassing. I get money knocked off my laundry bill, without asking for a discount, and I know I'm not being charged farang prices.

The Thais in our village have often helped us out with changing a tyre, jump-starting our car, or dealing with a tree that has fallen on our house! When we offer a small tip it has been refused - I don't know whether it's the karma thing, but I get the feeling that they genuinely want to help.

Someone once asked, when I was working in the UK, why I was always smiling. I answered 'Why not?'. Perhaps that's why we have a pretty easy life here. :D

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

VS

great post :D

I feel the same 'smile and the rest follows'

Sure, they want the bucks but they treat you with respect If you treat them with the same respect

ALL ABOUT INTEGRATION
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.