Flying to/from Thailand (Covid Era)

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Flying into Thailand, latest updates

Post by Gregjam »

In all of the press releases so far there has been lots of talk about tourists and business/work permit holders but little about non-Thai family members. As in HHTel's situation things are not easy for 'normal' people not in a major city and you would think that a caring country would give some precedence to reuniting a family. I have seen nothing about Non-Imm O/O-A visa holders like myself who work abroad but in essence 'live' in Thailand. It looks like a return to the UK will happen in mid July unless something changes and fortunately I have family I can stay with. My internet is not so good at work so I may have missed something, has anyone seed any news or info on the situation other than 'no chance for the foreseeable future'.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:46 am In all of the press releases so far there has been lots of talk about tourists and business/work permit holders but little about non-Thai family members. As in HHTel's situation things are not easy for 'normal' people not in a major city and you would think that a caring country would give some precedence to reuniting a family. I have seen nothing about Non-Imm O/O-A visa holders like myself who work abroad but in essence 'live' in Thailand. It looks like a return to the UK will happen in mid July unless something changes and fortunately I have family I can stay with. My internet is not so good at work so I may have missed something, has anyone seed any news or info on the situation other than 'no chance for the foreseeable future'.
There was an article on Google earlier that suggested September would be the earliest that flights might resume - the article was inferring that it was air lines reluctance as well as possible government restrictions
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

There is still a lot of speculation but no facts. I have read anywhere from late July to 2021!!

As one of those stuck, was originally scheduled to return to Thailand April 25, I keep hoping, and watching. Unfortunately it's a waiting game now.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Post by Gregjam »

Saw in the Bangkok Post today :
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... s#cxrecs_s
It mentions 2000 foreigners requesting entry to be with their families. Does anyone know how to request entry? All a bit vague to say the least.

I did a bit of checking online and I think I am well and truly bu****ed as I on a ship and even if the doors are open it looks like you would need to apply to the Thai Embassy in the country you are in ten days or more before. Never seen a floating embassy before....
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I sent an inquiry to the Thai embassy in Washington and got back a response that says, basically, let's wait and see how it develops. I don't think you're missing the boat (pun intended) at this point
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That goes along with my daughter who has been in the states since the beginning of March. Even as a returning Thai, the Thai embassy in Washington has told her that they have no knowledge of any future 'repatriation flights' and they have to wait for a government announcement!

So the "Let's wait and see how it develops" is the advice given to everyone. Complete waste of time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:07 pm the Thai embassy in Washington has told her that they have no knowledge of any future 'repatriation flights' and they have to wait for a government announcement!
This is strange, because even I know there is was a repatriation flight from the US yesterday via Japan, carrying 78 persons.

There are further flights from US on:

25th via Japan
25th via Korea
27th via Korea
29th via Korea

I guess somebody somewhere is telling porky pies :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Both my daughter and I have contacted them. They told both of us that they have no information of future government repatriation flights. They don't know what the government's intentions are and we have to wait for a government announcement which will probably be on the 30th.

This was in the last week.
The embassy itself is closed for calls. As per their website, they have telephone numbers to get in touch with staff who are working from home.

From their website and how we were able to contact them. (main phone number doesn't answer)
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, the Royal Thai Embassy will continue to operate during normal office hours with staff working from home, effective from March 25, 2020 until further notice.

For consular assistance, please contact (202) 684 8493 or consular@thaiembdc.org

Other inquiries should be directed to (202) 944 3600 or thai.wsn@thaiembdc.org
From my daughter after she spoke with them last Thursday:
I talk to thai embassy

Didn’t do much help

They said I have to wait till 30th for the government announcement
They did send her a registration form which puts you in a queue behind hundreds of others. The registration is vetted regarding the applicant's situation and reason for returning. After submission, you are informed whether your application has been approved. It also points out that all repatriation flights are with Korean Air.

She has tried to book flights advertised in July but after booking she gets a message back informing her the leg from Tokyo to BKK is cancelled.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Where's your info coming from, BB. The embassy in Washington responded as I've reported. They have both email and phone number of my daughter. They advised her they will inform her of any change.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My information is as quoted by the CCSA - obviously talking with forked tongue. Maybe they're talking a good game - do you remember when their tagline was they'd leave no Thai behind? Obviously not doing the great job they are publicising.

The CCSA invite questions from the public. Why not put them on the spot? If yesterday's flight only had 78 bodies, it was either a miniature aircraft, or the social distancing was extreme.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Good idea, BB. I can't find a means of contacting them. Can you?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It looks as though the contact number is 1422 (Department for Disease Control).

In the Daily Brief the guy often talks about questions from outsiders, including foreigners.

I see information on people returning to Thailand is also on the page https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php plus a Contact Us section. I've never had cause to use, so don't know how good/bad it is.

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

50,000 select foreigners to start arriving next week

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -next-week

The first group of foreigners to be allowed to enter Thailand will comprise business representatives, skilled workers, experts, people with Thai families, teachers, students and patients who agree to quarantine, according to the government.

Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), on Wednesday elaborated on the government's plan to allow foreign nationals back into the country. The plan was drafted by a sub-committee of CCSA.

He said most will be required to accept 14-day quarantine after their arrival.

The spokesman said about 50,000 foreigners are likely to visit the country under the new rules.

They include about 30,000 people expected to arrive for medical and wellness tourism.

Others include about 15,400 skilled workers/experts; 2,000 teachers, educational personnel and students; 2,000 foreigners with Thai families or with residences in Thailand; and 700 businesspeople/investors. Members of this group have already registered for visits and agreed to undergo quarantine.

Another group to be admitted includes businesspeople and investors who will pay short visits, and guests of the government and governmental organisations.

They would be tested for Covid-19 both before and upon arrival, have health insurance and be monitored by medical personnel.

A further group to be welcomed consists of tourists and travellers who would arrive under the travel bubble scheme, Dr Taweesilp said. Details for this group had yet to be finalised.

Foreign businesspeople/investors who accepted quarantine could arrive immediately. Skilled workers/experts, people with Thai families and residences in Thailand, educational personnel, students, businesspeople/investors with short visits and guests of the government would be allowed in on July 1, he said.

Those who would arrive for medical and wellness tourism could also arrive on July 1.

Tourists who would arrive under the travel bubble scheme could be allowed in on Aug 1 on condition they undergo "Villa Quarantine", meaning they stay in their accomodation and do not travel.

The draft measures would be submitted to the CCSA for consideration next Monday, Dr Taweesilp said.

The arrivals were expected to boost investment and tourism income, he said.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The first? I saw something recently saying some foreigners had already jumped through all of the hoops, and had already arrived back in Thailand. Was that more Fake News?

The short-term business people are a distinct worry when it is often taking several days for Covid to show up in Thai returnees in quarantine.

Tourists agreeing to stay in their accomodation - I'll bet they're forming huge queues to visit a room in an expensive part of Thailand.

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It answers our previous question about how the International Schools will restock themselves with foreign staff in time for a mid-August start.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source