E-books and e-book readers

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: e-books and e-book reader

Post by PET »

Is there more than one Kindle model, what is the cost and can they be purchased in Thailand?

I have a friend going to Singapore so that may be an alternative for purchase.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PET wrote:Is there more than one Kindle model, what is the cost and can they be purchased in Thailand?

I have a friend going to Singapore so that may be an alternative for purchase.
Here is the Kindle lineup:

Here are shipping details: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... eId=596188

Hunt around that page for International Shipping Policies and details about Customs etc. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Here's more:

Choose a country:
Thailand
We are excited to now ship Kindle to Thailand. Customers in Thailand will enjoy:
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute

Growing Selection: Over 1,250,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines are available for your country. Because publishers give us eBook rights on a country by country basis, available titles for your country will vary from our current U.S selection. We are actively working with publishers to get the rights to all titles for every country and adding this selection every day. Check the Kindle Store to see available titles.

Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99, unless marked otherwise. You'll also find many books for less - over 150,000 titles are priced under $5.99

Learn more about Kindle features on the Kindle product page

Important Product Information for Your Country

Your international shipment is subject to customs duties, import taxes and other fees levied by the destination country. We will show you these fees upon checkout. Learn more
Kindle ships with a micro-USB cable for charging your Kindle via a computer USB port
Kindle books, newspapers, and magazines are currently priced and sold in United States dollars
Kindle includes a 1-year limited warranty. See details
Use of the Kindle is subject to the Kindle License Agreement and Terms of Use
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

no more dePreston
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

icebear wrote:Use the kindle for the last 12 months and I am very happy with it.

Use http://www.calibre.com for storing and formatting incoming books on my MacBook.
Tried your link and get a Wells Fargo marketing page.
johnnymac

Post by johnnymac »

Try this: http://calibre-ebook.com/

Great piece of kit
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Can someone with a Kindle advise of there is print size adjustment capability? Some of us unfortunately would need something like that. Thanks. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Yes there is a print size adjustment. The largest print gives you about 1 word per page!!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The Thailand link posted above describes the different models available. But, ALL of them only connect to the Internet via either WiFi, or WiFi + 3G.
Is this the case with all Kindles, or just the ones available here? :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote:The Thailand link posted above describes the different models available. But, ALL of them only connect to the Internet via either WiFi, or WiFi + 3G.
Same with all Kindles - what else were you expecting?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

pharvey wrote:
Nereus wrote:The Thailand link posted above describes the different models available. But, ALL of them only connect to the Internet via either WiFi, or WiFi + 3G.
Forgive my ignorance pharvey, but just what does that mean? I thought that ebooks were something that one could download from the Internet. If not, then where do you download from?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote:
pharvey wrote:
Forgive my ignorance pharvey, but just what does that mean? I thought that ebooks were something that one could download from the Internet. If not, then where do you download from?
Was not intended to be a harsh comment Nereus and no offence meant - simply an honest question, I'm not aware of any additional way to connect other than hard cable - Ethernet etc.

Yes, you download from the Internet using a wireless connection or 3G - basically as your mobile/Smartphone would do. I have the Kindle Fire which actually only has the wireless connection - absolutely no problem for me, as personally I only use the connection occasionally to check emails/surf the Internet. I download the majority of books/movies through Vuze on my laptop and then transfer to the Kindle through a USB connection. The Fire also has Android as an OS, so is great for adding "Apps" for use on the move......

[EDIT] You can also download books/magazines etc. from Amazon directly to your PC (or to your Kindle obviously). There are plenty of free books on Amazon, plus countless for under $2. The latest stuff can be pushing similar prices to the hardbacks/paperbacks, but there are bargains to be had. As mentioned above, there is always the "Vuze route"!!
:cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

moja wrote:Yes there is a print size adjustment. The largest print gives you about 1 word per page!!!
:lach: Thanks Moja. That would be a lot of page turning to get through a book! Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Mods - Is it OK/Possible to start a thread on E-books where forum users can review and share books/downloads (via a free "Cloud Storage" site for example), or would this be tricky/against the rules?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

pharvey wrote:.......................................I download the majority of books/movies through Vuze on my laptop and then transfer to the Kindle through a USB connection.
Thank you! Why the hell do people trying to sell stuff not say so in their blurb? They have a good description of the various models, but to me it reads like it has to have a WiFi or 3G connection to download. :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

They have the Kindle user guide online here if you need more information:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/Kindle_4.1.0/K ... dition.pdf