school kids in Hua Hin

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

Big Boy wrote:Jockey wrote:
Cost = 36,000 baht per semester.
I should know the answer (I've been paying my granddaughter's school fees for a few years now), but what does a semester equate to please? I'm guessing it is the English equivalent of a term. If correct, how many semesters are there in a year?
All the info I was given was from a teacher at the school. The definition of a semester is half a year; a period of 6 months or, more appropriately in this case, one of two divisions in an academic year.

I have also been told the school only currently caters up to Mathium 3 (not Matium 6), therefore only covers up to age 15.
Thaiclan
Amateur
Amateur

Semester

Post by Thaiclan »

At Somtawin there are 2 semesters per year. The British "term" is slightly different as there are 3 terms per year, punctuated by half term (1 week holiday) and full term (2 week holiday) with a 6 week summer holiday July - September.
Incidentally most international school fees range 40k - 150k PER TERM - so much much higher than Somtawin. :)
gj
Rookie
Rookie

School

Post by gj »

Somtawin is not 'international' as yet - 36,000 baht per semester
It is made up of 50% Thai and 50% international students. All subjects are in English.
Thanks for all the reply but if I can quote Jockey’s estimate that the school has 50% Thai and 50% international students then I would believe that Somtawn seems rather costly for a rural Bilingual School with what I would say wrongly appointed TEFL teachers teaching English, Math and Science subjects to students which probably have a decent grasp of English.

I might be wrong but I would assume that even among the Europeans living in and around Hua Hin and having their children attend Somtawin School that their English would be warrant properly qualified educators and not degree holders that have attended a few day course to teach English as a foreign language.

My eldest daughter currently attends an International school with well qualified teachers holding a BEd or Masters but the cost is slightly more and the quality of teaching is very good unlike some of the Thai schools.

I have heard it is common policy that Thai schools cannot fail students in tests or exams. The student simply has an easier re-test if the score is too low.

On the matter of Thai school terms which I think starts at the end of May after the sonkran break and continues until early October. The second term starts at the end of October with Christmas and New Year breaks just a day or two.

This coupled with long hours kids attend school makes the Thai school an unattractive choice.

Let’s see if Somtawin gets this international status with decent teachers and school terms that coincide with western holydays.