Buying a Car

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: Buying a Car

Post by PET »

T.O.M. wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:51 pm With your budget I would buy this one.....Had one for 9 years..best car I ever had..!!
https://www.taladrod.com/w40/iCar/CarDe ... id=2163056
The Civic is excellent but may be too large . If so the City is about 200K cheaper , 4 doors and a huge boot for its size. Easily takes 3 sets of golf clubs. Very reliable and cheap to run.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, if we get down to a choice between Toyota and Honda I too would pick the Honda based upon ownership experience. Toyota is a close second, but there's just something about Honda dealerships and service that in my mind puts them first.

No experience with Mazda so in all fairness I can't give an opinion. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

I agree. I had a Honda City for 6 years from new. Never had a single problem with it. Big boot as already mentioned and a comfortable, economical vehicle. As Pete says, the service from the Honda dealership was excellent.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Honda Jazz seems to be another option. Looks to me to be a hatchback Honda City. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: The Honda web site indicates "Book a Test Drive" so it appears they offer that. Their Thailand site doesn't seem to have an English version though that I can find so Google needed to translate things.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Good morning. Have been looking around at new cars on display at the shopping centers in Bangkok, and have noted a disturbing trend. (At least for me).
1. Handbrakes are now trending to become an e-brake, which is just a button, presumably for when the car is parked. As I consider this a safety item which should be independent of the hydraulic system and can be used in an emergency it is the first thing I look for. I am left wondering if there is a 'safety lockout' that could prevent inadvertent operation when the car is moving?
2. The different types of gears. I have always preferred a manual gearbox but autos are now the norm and are not bad. Note that there are three types on the market today.
- standard torque converter type (most with locking converters for better economy)
- CVT - these use a metal drive belt and seem to be the industry standard these days.
- DCT - dual clutch transmissions - note that these are not autos in that sense but the controls look similar. Also known as automated manual gearbox.

3, Gadgets - too many of these and you will break the bank when they need fixing.
4. Hybrids - Avoid!!

I have an auto X-trail with torque converter gearbox. Not the most economical but at least the FWD ones can be towed for short distances. Keep battery jumper cables just in case.
My wife has a Nissan Almera - CVT with a 3 cylinder engine similar to the Note. Drive is lethargic, you need to put your foot down and the CVT driving experience is a bit weird at first. Okay for around town but if it breaks you change the whole unit.
My son has the Juke (1500 cc 4 cyl) which is much nicer to use but too small to do anything with.
CVTs are good for start/stop driving and crawling in traffic, also good economy.
DCT - double clutch transmissions - are good for spirited driving and highway but will suffer premature wear if driven in start/stop traffic.

So.. look for at least a 1500 cc with an auto or CVT gearbox. Pushbutton parking brake preferably to be avoided. Ditto too many gadgets (around view cameras, lane change assist, radar cruise control, etc)

Secondhand 2-3 years old with full dealer servicing records can be a lot cheaper and you may want to consider European brands in this market as the depreciation is a lot more than the Japanese brands.

My tuppence worth.. Cheers
วินเชนท์
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

When you consider the mayhem on Thai roads and the chances of being in a serious accident why is the safety aspect of a car purchase rarely discussed ?
Sadly the majority of cars made and sold into the local market are not a patch on the export models when safety is taken into account lacking many of their foreign versions in safety gizmos.
Obviously cost cutting is involved here but do the transport authorities think that only 2 airbags need to be fitted to cars assuming that all accidents will be head on? Overseas these models turn up with 6 and more.
And on the subject of airbags, why do the Thai authorities and manufacturers bury their heads in the sand on the subject of the deadly risk Tanaka airbags have on cars three years and older. The climatic conditions of high temps along with high humidity make local cars at the highest risk. Around the world millions of cars including Thai made models have had recalls on the bags
Leaf spring suspensions as opposed to coil springs are another strange preference on many a pick up truck considering the state of many roads.
Complexity is so simply overrated
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Shopping by the 'numbers' now, myself, I'm leaning toward the Honda Jazz now. 4cyl / 1.5L

Reference to safety features, and obviously, 'made in Thailand', most substandard, well, everything is to western specs, and simply to keep costs down. Stripped down, they're overpriced / taxed as it is

As long as I have 2 front airbags, that's fine with me, as driving safety is my responsibility, along with my defensive driving skills. So far, so good. :cheers:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Re airbags (and other so-called SRS - safety restraint systems) ..
I'm all for safety but multiple airbags add more complexity and are potentially hazardous explosive devices. I'm a bigger fan of driver education and defensive driving - sure, accidents will happen but prevention is still better than the cure.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Err.. sorry to hijack the thread, back to buying a car?
The Note (last seen in the showroom three weeks ago) comes in two flavours, stripped down basic and the other all dressed up with auto-dimming rear view mirror, all round camera vision.. Nice enough and the sales people tell me it is one of the most popular of the range. I'd still opt for the lesser of the two as the engine and brakes are the same..

Also saw the Nissan Terra - ouch that is a big station wagon.
A nice Nissan to have is the Sylphy sedan , which is on the borderline of your budget.
Never really been a fan of Hondas and the newer Mazdas have too much technology built-in, something I would worry about a couple of years down the line.
Oh, and look for standard headlights and taillights if possible. A new HID bulb replacement is 5,000 baht. The LED lights are not repairable when they do go, sure they last longer but then you have to replace the whole unit.
วินเชนท์
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Agree. Over 45+ years of driving, and I've yet to need, or even use, before coming to Thailand, seat belts or have an airbag deployed.

And I've been in a few nasty crashes in my youth, pre-law and airbag days. I must bounce pretty good.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

On the basis that Thailand has the 2nd/3rd worst fatality rate in the world, statistically you are more likely to be involved in an accident here than in your home country, therefore safety features on the car should be a consideration. It doesn’t necessarily mean just because you are a good and safe driver, that some idiot won’t do something stupid that might affect you.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, a few M60's and grenade launchers as accessories will do the trick. :shock:
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:20 pm On the basis that Thailand has the 2nd/3rd worst fatality rate in the world, statistically you are more likely to be involved in an accident here than in your home country, therefore safety features on the car should be a consideration. It doesn’t necessarily mean just because you are a good and safe driver, that some idiot won’t do something stupid that might affect you.
Agree. But if going by my track record, 25 years in USA, and 10 or so accidents, most my fault, a couple not, even when I was supposed to be beyond the age of stupidity / foolishness. Lots of close calls of course.

18+ years here, and 2 dings, almost not worth reporting, and both my fault. More than a few close calls though here. Don't want to jinx myself, but unless a freak accident, don't think I'll ever need my airbags, and definitely won't need a seat belt, as a bit redundant since having airbags.

If anything, if T-boned hard enough, having a seat belt on, may be a negation.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Never say never.

I also had years of trouble free motoring. Driving to Market Village one day, a young lad came around a blind corner at speed, and literally drove his bike straight under my truck. I was only a spectator. You're in Thailand, prepare for the unexpected.

I and my passenger were fine, but a smaller car as per the OP's request, and it could have been so different i.e. the bike and/or it's rider could have come straight through the windscreen.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »