Shabby town of Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Shabby town of Hua Hin

Post by handdrummer »

PJG wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 pm "A Shabby Mess"

Not just Hua Hin, but true of most Thai town's. They all look pretty much the same, faded dull concrete buildings with rubbish and vendors piled up on the sidewalks.
The drive from Hua Hin to Bangkok confirms that. Reminds me of Seoul, Korea in 1958. At least they had a reason; the war.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:12 pm
PJG wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 pm "A Shabby Mess"

Not just Hua Hin, but true of most Thai town's. They all look pretty much the same, faded dull concrete buildings with rubbish and vendors piled up on the sidewalks.
The drive from Hua Hin to Bangkok confirms that. Reminds me of Seoul, Korea in 1958. At least they had a reason; the war.
3 hrs. drive to Bangkok is not the end of the world. About Chonburi/Bang Saen, it's a good choice. Have been several times, but never checked living possibilities.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I quite like going into town, not that I go there often, but they really need to sort out the unfinished work. It really is symptomatic of a lazy attitude that tourists will still keep coming whatever, and they aren't, so they need to work at making the place more attractive.

My sister and BIL have been to Thailand 3 times in about the last 18 months, but have not returned to Hua Hin since their first visit.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm My sister and BIL have been to Thailand 3 times in about the last 18 months, but have not returned to Hua Hin since their first visit.
Which pretty much says it all really...

[EDIT: ... assuming, of course, that they not avoiding you, caller! :wink: ]
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:lach: :lach:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:44 pm
caller wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm My sister and BIL have been to Thailand 3 times in about the last 18 months, but have not returned to Hua Hin since their first visit.
Which pretty much says it all really...

[EDIT: ... assuming, of course, that they not avoiding you, caller! :wink: ]
LOL! No, I have access to a condo in Bkk as well. Spent most of the time they were here together, also trips to Chiang Mai and a day in Kanchanaburi. Next time plan to visit areas south of Hua Hin. Actually their first visit to Hua Hin was as far back as 2001.
Talk is cheap
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Never was a fan of HH, especially the surf side of Phetkasem, and was only good for a pit stop, to points further south when out and about, usually to Phuket from Udon Thani, where I lived for 16 years.

I know I wouldn't enjoy living there, and rarely visit now. Again, a stop when to / from Krung Thep for a bit of shopping if Krung Thep didn't have what I wanted. Live PKK municipality now.

Yearly IMM ext. visit is enough visit time for me, though I do find myself there more often, but only as long as it takes to peek at Gourmet Market / BluPort, and half the time regret the visit.

Thailand in general is still 3rd world, and most of, would be considered an 'economically depressed' area, by my standard. If not actually, then appears very 'slum-ish' due to lack of simple building maintenance. A coat of paint would go a long way..... :roll:
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

If you only stay in the centre of HUA HIN how can you know the place.Go in to any city or town in any part of the world you will find the shabby side.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

"any part of the world you will find the shabby side"

Agree, except HH and most of Thailand, is the shabby side. I've only been in a few residential areas of Thailand, that I wouldn't describe as economically depressed.

Most looks like, for lack of a better word, a slum area. Just a step up from a true western world, inner city slum. With low to no home maintenance, and trash & litter piled up or thrown where ever. That's throughout most of the Thailand I've seen, which is quite a bit.

Since no RE Taxes, or zoning of any western type (not saying that's a good thing), then no real division of the classes, with few exceptions to some neighborhoods, and even then, the trash, sometimes, is again, piled up and littered everywhere, with no respect to themselves or country.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Try visiting any english city world champions for fly tipping.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Are there any notable exceptions?
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

It could easily be tidied up like most European villages. All it needs is for people to pay 60% tax and 200 Baht for parking for a few minutes and more than 1000 Baht for longer parking. Then you would need Civil Servants making all kinds of rules about what can and cannot be done. You would need permission from the local council to plant a tree in your garden or to change the colour of your house. Opening hours of shops would change and the council would tell the shops what they are allowed to sell. And much, much more interference. I don't think this is what people in Thailand want!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

wenshidi wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:04 pm Are there any notable exceptions?
Probably if you follow the 'new money' younger crowd, as want to be in new, nicer, manicured neighborhoods.

So new developments, though not priced for us poor fixed income folks. So they are too busy, 'both' working, so live the maintenance free / provided developments, and if managed properly....if....then a few in the same area helps.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

I hear that the other side of the river on the new subway line is one such on-the-up area. Has anybody had chance to explore yet?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

River? Subway line? I'm lost.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: