Coronavirus Precautions/News/Updates for Hua Hin/Prachuap

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Wuhan Virus Precautions

Post by HHTel »

Absolutely. I think people are pressing the panic button needlessly. Yes, of course it has to be contained simply because of the number of 'vulnerable' people it can affect. I've read that the pneumonia caused by this virus can't be treated like the 'normal' pneumonia which makes it even more dangerous to persons of ill health.
SARS vanished as a result of containment and I'm sure, if this latest virus is effectively contained, then it will eventually disappear in the same way.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was at Market Village earlier, and it was virtually deserted for a Sunday. Cleaners were disinfecting the escalator handrails, and loads of masks being worn.

I thought this was all good, but what about pressing the button in the lift, pushing the supermarket trolley etc? There are just so many ways it can potentially get you. I started wondering if we should be wearing sterile disposable gloves when out.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

When reading the reams of reports concerning this virus there seems to be a lot of uncertainty at the moment about its ability to mutate and become more serious, or perhaps turn into something totally different.

Do they know something about it, or just being very cautious? Stay tuned....
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

[Mod Edit] Your sense of humour is not appreciated. FINAL WARNING
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've posted a link on the main thread. It's a 'whistleblower' on social media giving her account of the situation as a medical worker.
In part she is confirming that the virus has already mutated and is mutating for a second generation.

All pretty scary leading me to have doubts about what I've read.

She can't be recognised in all her protective gear or I reckon she'd be dealt with. She seemed to have a limited window on Chinese social window.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

[Mod Edit] Post removed - you were warned.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you guys for helping me with this. I think it is only right that I respond with my interpretation of what you have mentioned/suggested. The last thing I want to do is turn myself into a recluse.

First things first, I cancelled my attendance at the next day’s Chinese New Year events. In the same vein, we are now:

• Avoiding bars.
• Avoiding anywhere there may be shared crockery or eating utensils (coffee shops, restaurants, food courts).
• Restricting shop visits – our daily Market Village ventures will be at opening time whenever possible. We will aim to be home before the crowds arrive.
• Increasing personal hygiene – especially hand washing. Using hand sanitisers wherever possible.
• Touch as little as possible e.g. press lift buttons with walking stick, don’t touch escalator handrails (even though it is claimed they are being sanitized every 60 minutes), place shopping bag over trolley handle before pushing.
• Wearing masks in public.

I know the precautions are endless, and despite everything, it might still get us. There will have to be exceptions to the above also e.g. if I need to go to the bank, they don’t open until 11am.

Big test for me will come on Saturday. I’ve been planning to go to Ratchaburi to watch the football – a huge dilemma.

Points 51; Position 21
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

My response to BB's precautions, for what it's worth (as I'm in the UK now and changing nothing). I broadly agree with most of them, but:

"• Restricting shop visits – our daily Market Village ventures ..."

OK, to each his own, but ... daily? :shock: Couldn't you cut back to weekly for a month or so, until we have a clearer picture of what's happening?

"Big test for me will come on Saturday. I’ve been planning to go to Ratchaburi to watch the football – a huge dilemma."

No dilemma, this is a no-brainer. Don't go to football for a month or so, until ... etc. etc.
Otherwise you're making a nonsense of all your other precautions.
This is the way
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Ive just cancelled my appointment for 3 cleaners to spread germs around my room whilst they push the furniture around and change my sheets, whilst sneezing without covering their noise and mouth just as I've seen them doing in the corridors this morning and without wearing masks or gloves.

No thanks, I'll live with my own germs and dirt for another week and review it then.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:09 pm My response to BB's precautions, for what it's worth (as I'm in the UK now and changing nothing). I broadly agree with most of them, but:

OK, to each his own, but ... daily? :shock: Couldn't you cut back to weekly for a month or so, until we have a clearer picture of what's happening?

"Big test for me will come on Saturday. I’ve been planning to go to Ratchaburi to watch the football – a huge dilemma."

No dilemma, this is a no-brainer. Don't go to football for a month or so, until ... etc. etc.
Yes, of course. If it doesn't have to be daily, it won't.

HaHa, I'm not saying I'll be going to Ratchaburi, but it will hurt not to. It will test me :D

Points 51; Position 21
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:
dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:09 pm My response to BB's precautions, for what it's worth (as I'm in the UK now and changing nothing). I broadly agree with most of them, but:

Yes, of course. If it doesn't have to be daily, it won't.

HaHa, I'm not saying I'll be going to Ratchaburi, but it will hurt not to. It will test me :D
"Come on you Dragons!" doesnt sound the same from behind a surgical mask!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

On a local level, the no of people playing badminton (mostly thai incl visitors) at the 19 Rai was well down this morning.

The beach (Soi 77 area) seemed quite busy yesterday, but I guess kite surfing should be fairly immune when on the water

Market village on late Saturday afternoon was quiet. After the Chinese celebrations outside finished the inside was very quiet. Children's area upstairs quiet. Maybe 4 or 5 tables occupied in MK at 7.30pm - which is very very quiet for MK.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

They are saying that the virus can be transmitted through the eyes making masks pretty useless.
A top Chinese surgeon who took part in the fight against SARS in 2003 contracted the Coronavirus despite wearing high quality surgical masks.
He got an eye infection and it was during tests for this it was discovered he had got the virus.
He says that it is more or less certain that the virus was transferred through the eyes.
So add protective glasses to the list of precautions then ?
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That is one I have been considering. I often rub my eyes, and have been very aware I've been doing it over the last few days.

The honest answer is I wouldn't know what to buy.

Points 51; Position 21
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Crikey, I'm off on the airport bus soon and on to the UK via Swampy and Dubai. A great time to be traveling.

Precautions? Lots of alcohol for disinfecting purposes only!! I'm probably more likely to get shot down over Iran on the second leg from Dubai or at more risk getting to the bus by taxi than I am of getting this virus.

However, I appreciate that there is a risk.

It'll be interesting to see how busy Swampy is tonight.