Thai Chana app

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
buksida

Re: Thai Chana app

Post by buksida »

I've never seen a Thai website that functions as it should. It was a nightmare trying to use the PEA one to get a refund from the electric board ... booking accommodation on the national park website took two days ... never managed a successful 90 day report online ... and as for that ridiculous AOT app which took over an hour to get working ... why should this be any different? I'm lucky I don't have to go into chopping maws that often, once a year is enough for me!

Most of these 'projects' are designed to create more paperwork and more jobs for lackeys, and that appears to be their sole purpose.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:07 am I've never seen a Thai website that functions as it should. It was a nightmare trying to use the PEA one to get a refund from the electric board ...
Off topic, but on a brighter note, our refund was paid yesterday :D .

You are right about their IT ability. I really don't understand why they don't employ somebody who knows how to do it properly, and to teach them at the same time. Here, they seem to get a degree in Space Invaders, and can use Facebook, so they can get a job in computing.

Back in the day, we were given a rough spec to work to, and we had to develop a firm spec, showing savings, fit for purpose etc. Here it seems somebody learns a new trick, and shows how clever he or she is by using it in every eventuality.

I'll not forget the stupidity my son encountered last year. He was sent a letter inviting him to a meeting. The letter arrived in the post. When opened, all that it had was QR Code. He had to scan the QR Code, which brought up the url, which when clicked brought up the invite. FFS, why? The invite could have been put into the envelope, but no, this person had discovered QR codes :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I'm not disputing the system is a joke and it makes me wonder how quickly it was all put together without testing. I even kind of see the logic in it. But as stated, in reality, it's unworkable.

I'm wondering what's going to happen when they introduce similar to get into car parks?
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

If the staff doesn't know what they're doing ... get a droid to do it!

MALLS DEPLOY ROBOTS, TRACING QR CODE FOR ‘NEW NORMAL’ SHOPPING
Visiting malls – arguably the most favorite hobby for Bangkokians – is no longer casual like it used to be, prior to the coronavirus outbreak.

Entry to Thailand’s shopping malls now involves surrendering your personal information – which may include your address, mobile phone number, and how long you spent inside a mall – and even patrol robots that urge you to keep the mask on your face.

Malls were allowed to reopen on Sunday after a month of shutdown under government orders. All of them now require the government’s tracking app called Thai Chana, or Thai Victory, so they could trace your whereabouts if a new infection is linked to the business venues.

But if that’s too ‘normal’ for your sense of new normal, how about mall cop robots warning people to keep their masks on and distance from each other?

Siam Paragon introduced two of them over the weekend. The more hi-tech one on the first floor not only measures the body temperatures of nearby humans, but could also detect anyone not wearing a facial mask and then literally warn the person.

“Please put on your face mask,” the unarmed robot warned one female shopper who didn’t have the mask on.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... -shopping/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Let's wait and see how long it takes for some irate shopper to drop kick one over the railing. :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:58 pm Let's wait and see how long it takes for some irate shopper to drop kick one over the railing. :laugh:
:thumb: :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hopefully my last word on this until the English version is released.

I took a couple of friends shopping this morning to Market Village. I had warned them of the previous day's debacle, said I wouldn't attempt to use my phone, and to make sure they had their passports with them.

I joined the 'no phone' queue at the ground floor car park entrance. First cock-up, they had placed the bar code beside the sign in desk. With most people unable to use their phone, the queue was large. Phone users could not access the bar code without broaching social distancing rules. I filled in the form for Mrs BB and myself (who had been holding the pen before me) - we were in, and we were legitimate.

Our friends should have followed. The lady obviously thought I was full of BS because she had a phone and was going to use it. 10 minutes later she signed in like the rest of us, totally bemused at the phone application, and muttering something that probably interpreted as 'bag of shite'!

We're in. Mrs BB and I arranged where to meet our travelling companions, and we went our separate ways. Mrs BB decided she needed to pee, so I agreed to meet her at the Tesco trolly park. I waited, and I waited. Eventually, the phone rings, and she asks where I was. She had gone in at the exit, signing out on the way in :?

I grab a trolley, and proceed to the Tesco entrance. My passport was in her handbag, which I needed to sign in, so had to wait for Mrs BB to let me in. I sign in again, pass the temp scan and wash my hands again.

Shopping done we pay our bill. Mrs BB signs out again, and I didn't.

Next was Fascino - same routine, but only to sign in, not out. The sign in register was beside the counter, so you were basically in before you signed in. However, this is the New Normal, so we did what was required. As we were leaving, an American goes to the counter to buy something whilst standing beside the register. The girl said she couldn't serve him before he'd signed in. It was then that the fight started...................................:shock:

As we left MV I could not see anywhere to sign out, so I didn't.

My thoughts of the system haven't changed, in fact they have worsened. With the majority opting for sign in because the QR scan is shite, who is going to enter all of that badly written text into the system? Each shop had pages of it, and each shop was collecting a different set of data. Zero coordination.

Hopefully, if the English version arrives soon, it might make life a little easier, but at the moment, Thai Chana is a lame duck.

Points 51; Position 21
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... -shopping/

Correction: An earlier version of this story identified Thai Chana as an application. It is in fact a website.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I'm surprised that nobody has put a demo on YouTube on how to use Thai chana for non Thais. The only info that is required to be entered by the shopper is their phone number and then whether entry or exit.

Both Thai and English text could have been shown on each web page.

Also, the questionnaire on exit is optional so can be skipped.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 pm Also, the questionnaire on exit is optional so can be skipped.
Assunming you mean the QR code alternative, not according to the CCSA or the annoying looped tape message as you walk around Tesco.

[Edit] :idea: Is there a set of instructions that we can get translated?

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

No, I mean the questions that pop up in the"app" when you check out. I know nothing about any manual part of it having only used the "app".
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Sorry, maybe I misunderstood. I mean the web based "app" entered by scanning the QR code.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmm....... being a member of ASEAN, where English is the agreed language, dual language should have been near the top of the programmer's spec.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Maybe they don't want foreigners to use it.
machersjohn

Post by machersjohn »

Mummy and daddy work in civil service and there we Jimmy just left school and knows all about computers. He is of course appointed head of all computer stuff. What could possibly go wrong