Book recommendations

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

rooney

Post by redzonerocker »

indeed he has an autobiography, note i didn't say 'written' an autobiography. didn't get to far into it, i put it down & couldn't pick it up again!
having seen a number of his tv interviews,i do wonder if he can write as he does come across as a bit of a dimwit :D
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
I.O.U.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by I.O.U. »

Great book just finished;'DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY' the guy who wrote it surname is Larson.I found it difficult to put down,it is really 3 events that happend in the same place at the same time-try it i wll read it again in 10 yrs.My second fav is the bible you should try it too.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I.O.U. wrote:My second fav is the bible you should try it too.
Bit too far fetched for me.
I.O.U.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by I.O.U. »

When I was young I got a colour by numbers bible and 43 years later I am still colouring,but seriously tyy devil in the white city true story with no religion.l
Kilbirnie
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Kilbirnie »

'A GOOD MAN IN AFRICA'
by William Boyd

ISBN 0-14-005887-7

Great entertainment, uproariously funny
TRUST IN ONE'S SELF
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Having just come back from a lovely weekend on the Sth Coast (UK), with many other Thai/UK couples, it pains me to be the killjoy. But lists like these are like the summer reading recommendations you get in the glossies this time of year.

Reading is one of my hobbies. Its a very personal thing and I know what I like and what I don't and the dearth of quality English speaking authors has led me to look elsewhere, some is good and some not so.

I joined a thread like this elsewhere and realised that at the end of of the day, what others wrote meant nowt, as I know nowt about them and "stranger" recommendations don't work well.

However, its interesting to see Stephen Leather and his trashy, but popular novels - the UK doesn't usually stock the Thai ones (thankfully) - mentioned in the same thread as William Boyd (always interesting).

And with reference to a couple of posts above and to another thread, I have just started picking through and putting down an abridged volume of the bible. In response to, "I should know that?", rather than any religious conversion (I am CoE ). But it is interesting.
Talk is cheap
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

caller wrote:...... it pains me to be the killjoy. But lists like these are like the summer reading recommendations you get in the glossies this time of year.
You read The Glossies, Caller? You surprise me my dear - they are so pasé this season....
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Jaime wrote:
caller wrote:...... it pains me to be the killjoy. But lists like these are like the summer reading recommendations you get in the glossies this time of year.
You read The Glossies, Caller? You surprise me my dear - they are so pasé this season....
Okay, being the cheapskate (not dear) I admit to being, I meant the freebies that come with the weekend papers. There, credibility restored! Two ss's and not one, thank you, Jaime! :thumb:
Talk is cheap
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

I disagree, Caller. Books are expensive here & I don't like to waste money. There have been a few books here that I've thought "Hmmm, no", but there are also others, like Randy's recommendation that I would never have picked up in a million years, but now quite like the sound of. I think VS named another one that I had already been recommended. Two recommendations from people I know might make me more prone to buy. Just wish there was an English library here.... :(
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Hi Dawn, I was referring to "stranger" recommendations, not those you know. My BIL and I have exchanged ideas about books as we realised we had something in common on this when we both had read "Snow" and agreed it was a really good and thought provoking read. We have exchanged some ideas since. But on the whole his taste is more "high brow" than mine! :)
Talk is cheap
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

caller wrote:Two ss's and not one, thank you, Jaime! :thumb:
Er... I was .... er.... being ironic.... :idea:
Chas
Banned
Banned

Book exchange?

Post by Chas »

I am taking notes here on what people enjoy reading, Some of these sound just wonderful and on my next trip to Bkk I will have this list in hand. But since I go through one or two books a week, sometimes more, I am really interested in some sort of book exchange program/site. I read just about anything ( OK, I dont like romances or sci fi very much) and really enjoy mysteries of all sorts, travel history, biography ( of someone interesting. . .please). Lots of excellent British authors writing crime novels and mysteries and they are very clever and entertaining.. and that is what I want. Entertainment! A page turner with surprises and twists.

I must have three or four dozen books that I need to "trade" for others I have not read. New books are just too expensive for me to go out and buy them at top price in my local bookstore. ( Do we even have a local bookstore? There used to be a place that would buy and sell used paperbacks, down on that soi opposite the Night Market past the tailors heading for the sea.( The SOI heading for the sea. . .not the tailors. That would be too much to ask!)

Anyway, we have a small such library at the university. You bring in what you have finished with and take what you havent yet read. All sorts of weird and interesting things turn up this way. Anything comparable in town?

As for what I have enjoyed: Memoirs of A Geisha is now in its second reading. Very rare that I do that. (Lovely book. Horrible movie.) Falcon of Siam is a terrific read/ look into Thai history.I like the Lindsey Davis "Falco" series. I find Carl Hiaasen, Elmore Leonard, David Sedaris and Tim Dorsey very funny and buy their latest at top price no question. Of course I have read the Bible (Drags along in parts, very dull and repetitive in others ( where is the plot?) and kinda too "preachy" for my taste. Hey, one whole section( NT) is the same story over and over again. What's up with that?) I like anything along the lines of the DaVinci Code too. .and please no lecture about "authenticity"! I teach Western Civ, I enjoyed it immensely and I dont care if it was totally invented. So were Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings!
Condoking
Professional
Professional

Post by Condoking »

Not sure if Hua Hin joined in the weekends fun, but Ms Rowling released the seventh episode of the reknown trainee wizard Mr H Potter. Does anyone dare confess to having read it yet. Personally I declined the opportunity to dress up and queue all night for the book but did watch his latest movie which left me slightly confused and wondering what all the hype was about.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I confess I read the first book - just because I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about. I haven't bothered, and have no desire to read any more. Good luck to Ms. Rowland, she's really hit on to a winner there, but not really my cup of tea.

VS.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Jaime wrote:
caller wrote:Two ss's and not one, thank you, Jaime! :thumb:
Er... I was .... er.... being ironic.... :idea:
Well, I admit to suffering an irony/humour by-pass this year! :roll:
Talk is cheap