VPN Recommendations and Discussion

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

Re: VPN Recommendations

Post by PeteC »

Some, maybe not all, VPN's advertise that the sites that go thru them on the way to you are checked for virus and malware. Or, they warn you if you're connecting to a site with a bad history of same. Whether it's true and 100% of the time I don't know. I think Express VPN says something about it on their site?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

This is an old tread but I try a question anyway. I invested in Express Vpn a month or so ago and are very satisficed with their product. :thumb:
However, now first before Christmas I tried to connect to their server in home country and to my surprise it functions great so I could see news and some Christmas entertainment programs on the Pc from back home. :)
So my question; Is it anyway I could see the programs on my TV screen via the PC?

Thank you.
hahuahin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Hahuahin wrote:This is an old tread but I try a question anyway. I invested in Express Vpn a month or so ago and are very satisficed with their product. :thumb:
However, now first before Christmas I tried to connect to their server in home country and to my surprise it functions great so I could see news and some Christmas entertainment programs on the Pc from back home. :)
So my question; Is it anyway I could see the programs on my TV screen via the PC?

Thank you.
hahuahin
Yes, just connect an HDMI cable between your PC and TV - that’s what I use to watch TV. I also use Express VoN but find that it often buffers and the programme stops for a number of seconds from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:57 pm
Hahuahin wrote:This is an old tread but I try a question anyway. I invested in Express Vpn a month or so ago and are very satisficed with their product. :thumb:

Thank you.
hahuahin
Yes, just connect an HDMI cable between your PC and TV - that’s what I use to watch TV. I also use Express VoN but find that it often buffers and the programme stops for a number of seconds from time to time

Thank you. That's great :)
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:57 pm

Thank you.
hahuahin

Depending on what model of TV and what operating system you use, you might not even need a cable.

I have a 6-year old Sony TV and with Windows 10, my laptop can connect wirelessly to the TV. It's a little unreliable at times so I often use a cable anyway but I would imagine a more recent model of TV would probably have better wireless connectivity than my old clunker..
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Is this something worth looking at? Tad expensive perhaps @ +/- US$250, will you be able to access BBCiPlayer?.....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It would require further research but if it does allow you to access say the BBC iPlayer from Thailand, then the one-off cost would be recovered after less than 3 years of using a VPN provider such as ExpressVPN.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Pretty much everything on iPlayer is downloadable anyway so I personally will stick with Express.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:27 am It would require further research but if it does allow you to access say the BBC iPlayer from Thailand, then the one-off cost would be recovered after less than 3 years of using a VPN provider such as ExpressVPN.
Exactly - but not just iPlayer, this (if it works) covers a multitude......
buksida wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:53 am Pretty much everything on iPlayer is downloadable anyway so I personally will stick with Express.
Granted, but these days I'm also looking at security which these guys "profess to provide" the majority of other VPN's don't. My company's laptop sees straight through the VPN I currently use for iPlayer/Sports etc. (when outside UK).

I'm stuck in the UK at the moment and whilst having access to a multitude of sports, movies and TV, I'm still the selfish barsteward who downloads from P2P sites - hence a VPN. However, I don't class my VPN (or Internet connection) as secure - 2 "neighbours" have had their Internet accounts "hacked" and apparently attempts on their bank accounts made.

If this system does what it says it does, I may well be interested. My concern is, I need to be able to set a UK IP address.
Last edited by pharvey on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
buksida

Post by buksida »

All a VPN does is encrypt the data and mask the IP address. You'll want an internet security suite such as those provided by Kaspersky or Norton if you want more security.

The 'hacking' you speak of has probably been a phishing attack which happens when personal data is leaked/stolen - usually from social media. Neither a VPN nor a security suite can prevent this, only more vigilance with what personal info you share online.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:42 am All a VPN does is encrypt the data and mask the IP address. You'll want an internet security suite such as those provided by Kaspersky or Norton if you want more security.

The 'hacking' you speak of has probably been a phishing attack which happens when personal data is leaked - usually from social media. Neither a VPN nor a security suite can prevent this, only more vigilance with what personal info you share online.
Understand what you're saying with regards to the VPN and IP address buks and thanks for clarifying. These guys though are stating a "DPN", not "VPN" - a supposedly different system?

:cheers: :cheers:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

This appears to be a shared resource network. Their 2 boxes Deeper Mini and Deeper Nano are both sold out. If you visit the website (deeper.network) you can check the FAQ and the white paper. The monthly newsletter is interesting in that its latest issue is last July.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

So as not to get the TOT thread too far off topic, I think if you open up the full Express VPN menu and try to select locations that are used less by subscribers than the "Smart Locations", you may get better results simply because those servers are less busy.

Human nature for people to select the choice that hits them in the face when they first look, leaving other servers under used?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve often tried other locations - there used to be more but now just 4 UK locations and sometimes the BBC iPlayer still picks up that you’re not in the UK. I normally stick with the one that works until something goes wrong, but this morning only tried one alternative and when that didn’t work assumed (wrongly) that it was all of the UK locations. I’ll keep it under review
buksida

Post by buksida »

The 'smart locations' change depending on where you are - the network attempts to find the fastest connection outside the source country. Routing through Singapore instead of Bangkok gives me a much faster and more stable connection (and zero censorship or DNS issues), I don't use it for TV.

As an update Dannie, did they sort out the issues you were having before with iPlayer?