Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by Korkenzieher »

:D Thais drive on the left.... :D
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

An example of something that happened today (remember that Thais always pull away from traffic lights when the clock gets to 3 seconds).

I was waiting for the lights to turn green to turn right at the Tessebahn Lights towards the Railway Station (also remember the traffic to my left has just stopped). A pale white guy (obviously just arrived) came stuttering towards me on his motorcycle as I turned right. He was basically out of control - the bike was jumping, more than rolling along.

I had watched him all the way, whereas he did not initially seem aware of me. He stopped with such a jolt - he was now frozen in the middle of the junction like a rabbit frozen in the headlights. I had slowed right down to let him go, but he couldn't go anywhere, so I carried on. I looked in my mirror a few seconds later, and he was still there with traffic moving around him.

This guy had tried to anticipate the light sequence,but wasn't as good as the locals at it. Despite me trying to let him go, was frozen in no-man's land. This is just one of several daily examples now. It will only get worse before it gets better.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I am having trouble understanding the relationship between foolish motor bike manners and the decline in tourists.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is as much an annual trend amongst people coming to Thailand as the Snowbird return.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Korkenzieher wrote::D Thais drive on the left.... :D
Well I would rephrase that and say: Most Thais usually drive on the left, unless of course if it happens to be more convenient to drive on the right... :D
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Driving in Thailand = Thailand tourist slump :? :?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This is becoming a big issue now. Read it and believe it, or dismiss it as not accurate. I'm not sure yet. One thing is for sure, the second cop in the short video wasn't looking for more suspects, he was nerviously looking to see if being observed by someone...a superior...press etc.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/12/04/s ... sts-expats

EDIT: A realistic thought may be that indeed the General is serious about reducing corruption, and many things may be going on behind the scenes that we don't see or read about. If Thais are pinching the cops in terms of reduced payoffs, I guess you could see a re-focus on foreigners to make up any shortfall.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Getting back to the 'tourist slump' theme..I was talking to one of the bar-owners in the Poolsuk Plaza last night, & she told me to look around in the seated-area..the ammount of folk there was, she said..only 25% of what we had last year at this time...there was indeed many empty chairs.
Bintabaht was the same..just no where near the ammount of western men walking down the street as other yrs by this time..??
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

And things are not going to be helped by closing the bars for every public holiday even in 'High' season!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:banghead: :banghead: BUT TIT...........nowt will change. Get used to it :)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

No need to comment....Look 4 posts up
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

it seems to be the bars that cater for single western men are quiet,but driving around last night,bars/restaurants that cater for western couples seem to be full.
I was at the airport a few weeks ago and it was very busy...again with western couples/families
,i don't think tourist numbers are down
just the demographics have changed
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I agree...some people seem to think that the tourist market begins and ends in the Binta bars
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

jingjoe wrote:it seems to be the bars that cater for single western men are quiet,but driving around last night,bars/restaurants that cater for western couples seem to be full.
I was at the airport a few weeks ago and it was very busy...again with western couples/families
,i don't think tourist numbers are down
just the demographics have changed

I think if TAT or the government say numbers are down, then it is safe to assume they are in fact down. Anyway, whether they are down or not, persistent negative reports in foreign media will eventually take a toll on tourist numbers, and the first ones who are going to look to alternative destinations are going to be couples and families.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact