Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by STEVE G »

^EV's will do well in Thailand because Thai's hate going to filling stations, I've got a pickup, a car and three bikes for my family and everytime I get into, or on one of them, the needle is on empty!
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:16 am To be honest, I'm still rather attracted to the idea of driving around for free on solar charging in Thailand. All these arguments against ev's seem pretty trivial to me when stacked against not having to spend a thousand odd baht at the filling station every few days.
That's a pretty big plus to me, particularly when thinking of the future when I'll be retired and living on a reduced budget.
Savings are very real, as we saved ~47.8k baht in first year owning, just on petrol savings. Aside from not needing 2 oil changes, for our 20k kms for the year. Half of which were while we were O&A away from our solar.

And the tire thing, yes, the ICE version (1,290 kg) of same car, is lighter, than the EV version (1570 kg), so no surprise all thing being equal tires would wear faster.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

And the tire thing, yes, the ICE version (1,290 kg) of same car, is lighter, than the EV version (1570 kg), so no surprise all thing being equal tires would wear faster.
I don't think the tyre wear problem will cause much difference in Thailand, unless anyone is doing really high mileage because I always end up changing tyres because of ageing and sun damage way before the treads worn down.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Way to go. :shock:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 11.22.13 am.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 11.22.13 am.jpg (79.87 KiB) Viewed 18762 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Roadside rescue van deployed to help electric vehicles stranded on Perth roads

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-17/ ... /103350262

A mobile rescue van for stranded electric vehicles will begin scouring the streets of Perth to help cars that have run out of charge under a trial to encourage EV ownership.

Insurance company RAC has announced it will operate one battery top-up van in metropolitan WA, as the state continues to push towards completion of Australia's longest EV charging network.

It comes as the number of EV sales in Australia more than doubled from 3.1 per cent of the car market in 2022 to 7.2 per cent in 2023.

The van is equipped with a mobile charger capable of providing 15 kilometres of range in 20 minutes for drivers who run out of charge.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Nereus wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:42 am Roadside rescue van deployed to help electric vehicles stranded on Perth roads

A mobile rescue van for stranded electric vehicles will begin scouring the streets of Perth to help cars that have run out of charge under a trial to encourage EV ownership.

Insurance company RAC has announced it will operate one battery top-up van in metropolitan WA, as the state continues to push towards completion of Australia's longest EV charging network.

It comes as the number of EV sales in Australia more than doubled from 3.1 per cent of the car market in 2022 to 7.2 per cent in 2023.

The van is equipped with a mobile charger capable of providing 15 kilometres of range in 20 minutes for drivers who run out of charge.
That's it litmus test for intelligent level of a country. Will they have vans with petrol for the ICEV owning idiots ?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

KhunLA wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:39 pm
Nereus wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:42 am Roadside rescue van deployed to help electric vehicles stranded on Perth roads

That's it litmus test for intelligent level of a country. Will they have vans with petrol for the ICEV owning idiots ?
I've just had a look and RAC breakdown cover in the UK covers you for running out of fuel!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

KhunLA wrote:That's it litmus test for intelligent level of a country. Will they have vans with petrol for the ICEV owning idiots ?
The have had that facility for years, petrol and diesel!
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Nereus wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:36 pm
KhunLA wrote:That's it litmus test for intelligent level of a country. Will they have vans with petrol for the ICEV owning idiots ?
The have had that facility for years, petrol and diesel!
That's not a good sign. That's scary, there's actually that many that need such a service, that it's viable to have. Especially for EVs, as you get about 3 verbal, idiot light, ding warnings.

Can't remember last time I ran out of petrol, and can't imagine running out of electric. Especially since you get an emergency cable with the car, that can plug in anywhere. Got to be dumb as rock to purposely take it down below 20%. Even that gives you 30-40 kms till 10%. In our car anyway.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Could this really be a viable alternative to EV’s - with BMW pushing it along, you’d like to think so!!
https://hydrogen-central.com/bmw-says-g ... gines-mes/
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

BYD to convert former Ford plant into EV facility

BYD plans to convert a former Ford plant into an electric vehicle (EV) facility in Brazil. The ex-fossil fuel car manufacturing factory will be BYD’s first EV production plant outside Asia.

Brazil’s President Luis Inácio Lula da Silva announced BYD’s new EV factory outside Asia via Elon Musk’s X platform. The Chinese automaker plans to invest 608 million in its EV production plant in Brazil.

The converted BYD EV plant is located in Camaçari, Bahia. It is expected to generate 10,000 jobs in the area.

The Asian car manufacturer isn’t wasting any time on converting the facility. Work on the factory’s expansion and modernization starts next month. According to the President of BYD Brazil, Tyler Li, the goal for the new EV factory is to produce 150,000 cars in a year.
https://www.teslarati.com/byd-ford-plan ... -facility/
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Another interesting EV story relating to the situation in the US, which seems similar to what's happening in Europe.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... -dead-end-
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

caller wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:26 pm Another interesting EV story relating to the situation in the US, which seems similar to what's happening in Europe.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... -dead-end-
Fossil fuel cars are so bad for the world that they're going to be banned from most markets in ten years or so, even less in some countries.
If electric cars aren't the answer, there isn't much time to come up with something else.
Personally, I think economics will tip the balance with a combination of cheaper electric cars and an abundance of solar power which will make electricity virtually free during daylight hours.

"A new study by the University of Exeter and University College London, suggests that solar photovoltaic power will become the primary source of power around the globe before 2050."
https://www.renewableinstitute.org/new- ... ing-point/
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Toyota are developing Hydrogen fuelled cars as an alternative to EV’s - an alternative can only be good for consumers!!

https://www.toyota-europe.com/news/2022 ... en-concept

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Ammonia anyone? Apparently Toyota thinks so.

https://youtu.be/_HcT2tMMOjA?feature=shared