GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Re: GBP vs THB

Post by Big Boy »

Nah, it'll be fine. It should coincide with the arrival of my OAP in the worst scenario :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thai baht worst performing currency in 2021

Thailand’s baht is the worst performing currency in 2021, according to Japan’s Mizuho Bank in a note to its clients.

According to Mizuho, the baht has been steadily falling since the beginning of the year and was the worst hit currency by the pandemic within the region.

The bank noted that the baht, which was once the strongest performing currency in the region, was underperforming “uncharacteristically.”

The baht is 10 per cent lower against the US Dollar since the beginning of the year compared to a depreciation of 7 percent by the Yen and 5 per cent by the Malaysian ringgit.

Thailand’s economy contracted by 6.1 per cent (-6.1%) in 2020 due to the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. Projections for positive growth in 2021 have been hampered by the third and most severe wave of the pandemic which began on April 1 and has continued to infect hundreds of thousands.
Although GBP isn't mentioned, it's the reason that the ex rate is good at the moment.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30456/thai ... y-in-2021/
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

HH Tel. I think I can guarantee that the rate will rise this week as I decided to take a gamble and do my monthly Transferwise a week early. :thumb: :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm still a couple of weeks away from a transfer but if you cause it to rise further, my thanks to you.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Yep..On the way up. Would have gained 300 baht :cuss: :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

The weakness in the Thai economy, which we can all see , will reflect upon the weakness in the Baht and we are seeing that.
The Uk has has shown consistent strength and more importantly good financial reviews,
Both these scenarios should continue and Thailand will not show much improvement for 18mths so Sterling should continue slowly upwards.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A bad week for the pound after good performance over the last few weeks.

From 46.38 on the 16th to 45.40 today!

GBP/USD - $1.36
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:A bad week for the pound after good performance over the last few weeks.

From 46.38 on the 16th to 45.40 today!

GBP/USD - $1.36
This might help:

thailands-first-twin-deficit-in-nearly-a-decade-set-to-hit-baht
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The pound dropped against the dollar which reflected the exchange for the baht. Nothing really to do with the strength or not of the baht.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dropping to 45.1 today on TW

― George Carlin
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

UK inflation has risen higher than expected so it is possible that BoE will raise interest rates at this monthly meeting, and if so GBP will get stronger.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I would imagine any minor gains in GBP would be eaten up by inflationary gains in the cost of living in Thailand, you don't get much for your thousand baht note anymore.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

For once I moved money at the right time. I got over 46 and look what's happened in the last 24 hours. Cha-cha-cha's announcement has given the THB a massive boost. Most of the major currencies have plummeted against the baht.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Wonder how long that will last for? Probably until the next outbreak of Covid in a Tourist area.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I noticed that since the markets opened today, GBP plummeted against the THB. Then it transpired that it was the same with every major currency. Therefore it's the opposite. The THB today surged against all the major currencies. How much of that is due to the 'opening' on Nov 1st or manipulation by the BOT?