Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Pancake Day Soon - Shrove Tuesday March 4th

Post by Siani »

In 2014 Pancake Day is on Tuesday 4th March, so if you want to get some practise in try this simple recipe :)
[attachment=1]drop2.jpg[/attachment] [attachment=0]untitled.png[/attachment]

Drop scones, also called Scotch pancakes, are easy to make. You can put any topping or filling you like :wink:

Ingredients

Serves: 6
125 g (4 1⁄2 oz) self-raising flour
2 tsp caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp melted unsalted butter
150 ml (5 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
4 tsp sunflower oil

125 g (4 1⁄2 oz) self-raising flour
2 tsp caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp melted unsalted butter
150 ml (5 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
4 tsp sunflower oil
To serve
100 g (3 1⁄2 oz) blueberries
1 tsp clear honey
100 g (3 1⁄2 oz) raspberries
200 g (7 oz) fromage frais

Method

Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
1.Put the flour in a bowl and stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre, and add the egg, melted butter and a little of the milk. Gradually stir the flour into the liquids and add the remaining milk a little at a time, to make a fairly thick, smooth batter.
2.Heat a large shallow dish in a low oven, then turn off the heat and line the dish with a tea towel (this is for keeping the cooked drop scones warm). Heat a griddle or large, heavy-based frying pan over a moderate heat and grease it with 1 tsp of oil.
3.Using a dessertspoon, pour the batter from the pointed end (rather than the side of the spoon) to make neat, round drop scones. Depending on the size of the griddle, you should be able to cook 4–6 scones at once, but make sure you leave enough space round them so you can turn them easily. Cook for about 2 minutes or until almost set and bubbles are breaking on the surface; the scones should be golden brown underneath.
4.Using a palette knife, turn the scones over and cook for a further 1–2 minutes or until golden brown on the other side. Transfer to the prepared dish, wrap in the tea towel and keep warm while you cook the remaining scones. Grease the griddle lightly with 1 tsp oil before cooking each batch.
5.Place the blueberries in a bowl and stir in the honey. Add the raspberries and lightly crush the fruit, leaving some berries whole. Serve the scones warm with the honeyed berries and the fromage frais.
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (90.24 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
drop2.jpg
drop2.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
Crafack
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Cookin Corner

Post by Crafack »

For a super simple and delicious pancake try this:

½ banana (or one big Thai banana)
1 egg

Method:
Using a fork, mash the banana. Mix well with egg.
Heat a frying pan, and add a dollop of butter. When melted, pour in the mixture.
Fry like a normal pancake.

It will have a tendency to break apart, so be a little careful.

Serve with a dollop of (low-fat) creme fraiche, some fruit (eg. apple) and a little cinnamon powder.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Not a cook beyond pasta and salads or grilled meats myself, but if someone can make this snack, I'd buy it! :thumb: :cheers:

The Man Bun:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/what-is-a-ma ... 79968.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
almirante82
Amateur
Amateur

Post by almirante82 »

Does anyone know where I can buy a George Foreman grill? I've kept my eye open but have yet to see one here in Thailand.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

hhfarang wrote:Not a cook beyond pasta and salads or grilled meats myself, but if someone can make this snack, I'd buy it! :thumb: :cheers:

The Man Bun:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/what-is-a-ma ... 79968.html
Thanks for posting that...very interesting! I will try it. It does look calorie packed though :naughty: It says to get some "Boston Butt pork" not sure if it's available in the UK :P I think a few bun snacks will supersize a few people!
The site "Yahoo food" looks a good one, I will browse through for some ideas.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

If you make it send me one... I'll pay the postage! :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Siani
Legend
Legend

Anyone for Onion Bhaji ?

Post by Siani »

I am normally dead lazy and buy ready made Onion Bhaji's from Marks and Spencer. Tonight I forgot to buy them so decided to have a bash at making them :P They are so easy and cheap to make, I will never buy ready made again!
This is the method I used but next time I am going to add some chopped chilli :dance: as I did not think it was spicy enough.
A little tip, don't put them all in at once or turn them too quickly. I made batches of 3 at a time. Mine were quite large, a bit smaller than a saucer, flat rather than ball shaped.

Onion bhaji

Homemade onion bhajis are well worth the effort, they're great as a starter for an Indian feast.

Ingredients

2 free-range eggs

3 onions, sliced

120g/4oz plain flour

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp cumin seeds

4 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra if required

Preparation method

1.Beat the eggs in a bowl.

2.Add the onion rings and mix well.

3.Add the flour, ground coriander and cumin seeds and stir well to combine.

4.Heat the oil in a deep-sided frying pan over a medium heat. When hot add a large spoonful of the bhaji mixture and fry for 30-45 seconds, until golden-brown.

5.Turn the bhaji over and fry for a further 30 seconds, until crisp and golden-brown all over. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.

6.Repeat with the remaining bhaji mixture, replenishing the oil in the pan if it runs low and allowing it to heat up again after a new addition.
images8UDRFSLN.jpg
images8UDRFSLN.jpg (9.99 KiB) Viewed 3873 times
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thai And Fusion Food

Post by kendo »

Hi Siani

I have merged this so we can get creative together. :thumb:

We have some very interesting pancakes recipes tried and loved, and a few concepts to road test.

We also have more idea's in the mix.

Kendo. :cheers: :munch: :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

kendo wrote:Hi Siani

I have merged this so we can get creative together. :thumb:

We have some very interesting pancakes recipes tried and loved, and a few concepts to road test.

We also have more idea's in the mix.

Kendo. :cheers: :munch: :cheers:
I wasn't sure if it would be ok in this section K..they are Indian is that ok? Going to try your Palini's Spicy Pork And Coconut Burgers the weekend :cheers:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

It's fine we have not had a good food and cooking thread for a while this will grow got lots to add, lets hope more members will have some great idea's.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Interesting to read that you use whole onion rings. As a kid, my Mom always used grated onion so I had assumed that was the only way to make them. She also made something similar with grated potatoes, but my memory is a bit clouded. :laugh:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote:Interesting to read that you use whole onion rings. As a kid, my Mom always used grated onion so I had assumed that was the only way to make them. She also made something similar with grated potatoes, but my memory is a bit clouded. :laugh:

I'm not sure that they do normally use onion rings when making onion Bhaji's, just sliced onions made into flattish balls mixed with the flour and spices.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Takiap wrote:Interesting to read that you use whole onion rings. As a kid, my Mom always used grated onion so I had assumed that was the only way to make them. She also made something similar with grated potatoes, but my memory is a bit clouded. :laugh:

Could be rosti potatoes, just grate a few spuds, squeeze out the moisture, divide into whatever size you want and fry in oil, very simple. You could add onion or pretty much anything else you want.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I given a pasta machine for my recent birthday, (sad, I know!) and I am now obsessed with making my own tagliatelli and spaghetti. Just use one egg per hundred grammes of plain flour (or special pasta flour if you can get it) mix up with a fork, knead for a few minutes then leave, wrapped in clingfilm for about 30 minutes. Use the machine as instructed or simply use a rolling pin. I dry mine for about five minutes on a broom handle then into boiling water for about three minutes. Not as easy as the ready dried stuff but much better.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

arcadianagain wrote:

Could be rosti potatoes, just grate a few spuds, squeeze out the moisture, divide into whatever size you want and fry in oil, very simple. You could add onion or pretty much anything else you want.
Yes rosti potatoes are similar.