TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by 404cameljockey »

I just watched the first minute of the 2022 ITV series of 'The Ipcress Files' and I'm smiling all over my face. Having recently watched the Michael Caine film again, I can say it looks totally authentic as well as properly retro, and I think Joe Cole will make an excellent Harry Palmer. Not a recommendation yet obviously but if you know what I'm talking about you might want to try it, I will try to remember to update when I've finished it.

EDIT: After 2 minutes I remembered I've already watched it. At my age this happens too often. It is pretty good if a little more explanatory than the original. :D
Last edited by 404cameljockey on Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote:I just watched the first minute of the 2022 ITV series of 'The Ipcress Files' and I'm smiling all over my face. Having recently watched the Michael Caine film again, I can say it looks totally authentic as well as properly retro, and I think Joe Cole will make an excellent Harry Palmer. Not a recommendation yet obviously but if you know what I'm talking about you might want to try it, I will try to remember to update when I've finished it.
I won’t spoil it, but watched it quite some time ago - all I will say is that IMO it’s a 9/10!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:42 pm
404cameljockey wrote:I just watched the first minute of the 2022 ITV series of 'The Ipcress Files' and I'm smiling all over my face. Having recently watched the Michael Caine film again, I can say it looks totally authentic as well as properly retro, and I think Joe Cole will make an excellent Harry Palmer. Not a recommendation yet obviously but if you know what I'm talking about you might want to try it, I will try to remember to update when I've finished it.
I won’t spoil it, but watched it quite some time ago - all I will say is that IMO it’s a 9/10!!

Thanks Danny Boy, see the edit to my original post for a chuckle at my expense....
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:52 pm

Thanks Danny Boy, see the edit to my original post for a chuckle at my expense....
Never mind I often struggle to remember whether I’ve watched something before - after a few years I often rewatch programmes that I’ve enjoyed, on the basis that I’ve probably forgotten 50% of it anyway!!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:57 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:52 pm

Never mind I often struggle to remember whether I’ve watched something before - after a few years I often rewatch programmes that I’ve enjoyed, on the basis that I’ve probably forgotten 50% of it anyway!!
Good call on this. I watched the first couple of episodes last night and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this series. I'm a bit like DB these days, forgetting what I've already watched, and thought I might have seen The Ipcress Files before, but it turned out (after a few minutes googliing) that I'd confused it with Pennyworth (another series worth a look if you haven't come across it yet).
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I watched the first episode of Mr Bates vs The Post Office last night, courtesy of ITVx and Nord. If you’re a Brit you’ll no doubt be aware of the story which goes back almost 20 years when the Post Office introduced a new computer system called Horizon to deal with the accounts.

Although it should have been totally obvious for all to see, all of a sudden hundreds of small Post Office’s (typically a small post office outlet in a shop) were accused of stealing money from the Post Office. This went on for years, with people being charged, sent to prison, lives/finances ruined and a number committed suicide as a result.

It’s being described as the biggest travesty of justice in British history and yet to this day, nobody from the Post Office has been held accountable, which is an utter disgrace. Recommend for viewing!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

On a complete different track, I just read an article about a programme that I last watched at least 10 years ago - how it’s still occasionally hitting the screens is beyond my belief. The programme is named “Mrs Browns Boys” and features as the main person a certain Brendan O’Carroll as Mrs Brown and a host of other family members. To me it’s the pits, so I couldn’t help but chuckle when the critic at the Independent Newspaper referred to the programme as “Mrs Brown’s Boys is unfunny, is rather like observing that the sea is wet” - in other words don’t, whatever you do, watch it!!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:09 pm On a complete different track, I just read an article about a programme that I last watched at least 10 years ago - how it’s still occasionally hitting the screens is beyond my belief. The programme is named “Mrs Browns Boys” and features as the main person a certain Brendan O’Carroll as Mrs Brown and a host of other family members. To me it’s the pits, so I couldn’t help but chuckle when the critic at the Independent Newspaper referred to the programme as “Mrs Brown’s Boys is unfunny, is rather like observing that the sea is wet” - in other words don’t, whatever you do, watch it!!
I wouldn't say don't watch it under any circumstances; it's very popular, so clearly a lot of viewers enjoy it. Each to their own, as always. I watched a few early shows, but it got a bit carried away with itself and became too much like an adults only pantomime (lots of swearing), with O'Carroll as the dame. It seems to settle for the easy (and often cheap) laugh, and I'm not entirely comfortable with the way it constantly ignores the 'third wall'. Of course, I haven't watched it in tears now, so it may have moved on, but somehow I doubt it.
This is the way
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:I watched the first episode of Mr Bates vs The Post Office last night, courtesy of ITVx and Nord. If you’re a Brit you’ll no doubt be aware of the story which goes back almost 20 years when the Post Office introduced a new computer system called Horizon to deal with the accounts.

Although it should have been totally obvious for all to see, all of a sudden hundreds of small Post Office’s (typically a small post office outlet in a shop) were accused of stealing money from the Post Office. This went on for years, with people being charged, sent to prison, lives/finances ruined and a number committed suicide as a result.

It’s being described as the biggest travesty of justice in British history and yet to this day, nobody from the Post Office has been held accountable, which is an utter disgrace. Recommend for viewing!!
DB, where are you getting this from?

Not on my box

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is the header on either iPlayer or ITV X.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:It is the header on either iPlayer or ITV X.
I've no doubt you are correct but I don't use those platforms

Normally the content is in my box so quickly that I don't need to. Not on this occasion sadly

Thanks

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just opened ITVX, and there it is.

Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (102.25 KiB) Viewed 14103 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Which is what I wrote in my article - ITVx using the Nord VPN!!

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:Which is what I wrote in my article - ITVx using the Nord VPN!!

Yes fair enough but Nord didn't mean anything to me

And my box has an itv x section which is regularly updated with content so I was completely unaware of a dedicated itv x player until BBs post earlier

All sorted now thanks

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

In case anyone missed my recommendation of the Netflix series 'Beef',' it's won two Golden Globes so far tonight. The Bear has picked up a couple also. And "Matthew Macfadyen wins Globe for 'human grease-stain' role in Succession". :D