TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by Dannie Boy »

Just to put a spanner in the works, I thought the first series of the Tourist was just about ok, but I couldn’t quite finish the first episode of the latest series 2, which I thought was very amateurish, but when it comes to TV programmes, I’d be the first to admit that I find a lot of programmes below par these days, especially those from the BBC!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:03 pm
thecolonel wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:21 pm Mr Bates vs Post Office is now on my box
And what an incredible true story it is - quite astonishing. There's also a documentary on iPlayer. This story is all over the media in the UK and I hope the victims are fully compensated very soon.
There’s no doubt that the TV programme has done more in 4 episodes to seek compensation and exoneration than Bates and co achieved over the past 20 years - and I’m not knocking them even 1%, just commenting on the amazing impact the TV programme has had - just a pity that it’s taken so long to get the justice they deserve and hopefully those who did wrong will be prosecuted.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:39 pm Just to put a spanner in the works, I thought the first series of the Tourist was just about ok, but I couldn’t quite finish the first episode of the latest series 2, which I thought was very amateurish, but when it comes to TV programmes, I’d be the first to admit that I find a lot of programmes below par these days, especially those from the BBC!!
I actually quite enjoyed the 1st series, but the 2nd is very much hit and miss (mostly miss) unfortunately.

On a more positive note, "Reacher" Season 2 is about. Up to Episode 7 now on Amazon Prime, so should be on the "Usual Suspects" to download. Action, violence... It's Reacher after all. I've enjoyed it anyway!! :D

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:47 pm There’s no doubt that the TV programme has done more in 4 episodes to seek compensation and exoneration than Bates and co achieved over the past 20 years - and I’m not knocking them even 1%, just commenting on the amazing impact the TV programme has had - just a pity that it’s taken so long to get the justice they deserve and hopefully those who did wrong will be prosecuted.
I've not started watching yet, but couldn't agree more with what you are saying with regards to the impact it has had - hours on the news each and every day it seems, be it regarding the show/documentary, the subsequent public outcry and of course the Government, Police and other investigations which are long overdue.

As an aside - The Post Office are it seems currently (and very) actively pursuing convictions (though that is for a different thread possibly).
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

An Aussie Mini Series "Boy Swallows Universe" is certainly not a "Neighbours" spin off! Could well be up your street though buks... (Yep, Pun failed...)

Set in Brisbane in the mid 80's and follows Eli, a young teenager with an addict mother, a drug dealing father, a mute brother and a notorious criminal as a babysitter of sorts..... Not quite as desperate as it sounds though!! :D :wink: There's violence (but not over-the-top yet), dark humour, drama and humility. Not to mention some of my favourite Aussie bands in the background/soundtrack (but that's just me).

All episodes now available on Netflix, so I assume also on the usual suspects.

I'm just 2 episodes (of 7) in, but thoroughly enjoying it - Very positive reviews on the likes of IMDB and Rotten Tom's

buksida

Post by buksida »

buksida wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:21 am Fargo has started again with series 5, haven't started it yet but looking forward to if as good as previous seasons.
Just binged half of season five, outstanding stuff as usual. May go back and rewatch the early seasons of Fargo, the Billy Bob Thornton one was superb.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:30 am
buksida wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:21 am Fargo has started again with series 5, haven't started it yet but looking forward to if as good as previous seasons.
Just binged half of season five, outstanding stuff as usual. May go back and rewatch the early seasons of Fargo, the Billy Bob Thornton one was superb.
Next-episode.net shows that the last episode (ten) will be aired in a couple of days time. I'll binge the whole lot once it's available!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I binged the whole series today. Enjoyable except for the heavy lessons on male domination of females in most episodes. And episode seven (the dolls) was in part cringeworthy. I don't watch TV drama to be educated on feminism. But it's 2024 I guess. Previous series are better, not 'socially themed' as far as my memory goes. :(
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

404cameljockey wrote:
I binged the whole series today. Enjoyable except for the heavy lessons on male domination of females in most episodes. And episode seven (the dolls) was in part cringeworthy. I don't watch TV drama to be educated on feminism. But it's 2024 I guess. Previous series are better, not 'socially themed' as far as my memory goes. :(
Yes Jennifer Jason Leigh is superb, as is the female lead(Dot). She's a cockney!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I was looking for the recent BBC 4 part Wilderness with Simon Reeve and accidentally downloaded a British psychological thriller Wilderness shown on Amazon in 2023. It's good but not great, I did enjoy it.

I've now watched the first episode of Wilderness with Simon Reeve. Excellent start to the series. A very nice Englishman abroad in great wild areas, challenging natural circumstances. David Attenborough it's not, it's far more down and dirty, but still with a message about nature.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve recently started watching a very old (20 years approx) series called Ultimate Force starring Ross Kemp amongst a host of other well known characters. It’s about the SAS so has lots of action (blood and gore) and despite its age, is quite enjoyable. It’s available on Amazon Prime and no doubt available to download.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:42 pm I've now watched the first episode of Wilderness with Simon Reeve. Excellent start to the series. A very nice Englishman abroad in great wild areas, challenging natural circumstances. David Attenborough it's not, it's far more down and dirty, but still with a message about nature.
Nice, downloading now.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

pharvey wrote:An Aussie Mini Series "Boy Swallows Universe" is certainly not a "Neighbours" spin off! Could well be up your street though buks... (Yep, Pun failed...)

Set in Brisbane in the mid 80's and follows Eli, a young teenager with an addict mother, a drug dealing father, a mute brother and a notorious criminal as a babysitter of sorts..... Not quite as desperate as it sounds though!! :D :wink: There's violence (but not over-the-top yet), dark humour, drama and humility. Not to mention some of my favourite Aussie bands in the background/soundtrack (but that's just me).

All episodes now available on Netflix, so I assume also on the usual suspects.

I'm just 2 episodes (of 7) in, but thoroughly enjoying it - Very positive reviews on the likes of IMDB and Rotten Tom's

My updates.....

Boy Swallows Universe was superb as you say

My only issue was that the ending was out of kilter with the rest of show

Whilst on....

I recently completed Fool me Once(Harlan Coben) Utter garbage! Only finished it because friends said it was good. It was awful, worst I've seen in many years. Wanted to switch it off multiple times. I agree with the one star review in the Independent and all the negative reviews on reddit etc

Fargo Season 5.... was just decent in the end for me, promised better

Beef(Netflix)..... was good overall

American Nightmare (netflix).... is highly recommended. Amazing true story.

Mr Bates vs the post office.... Excellent.

Slow Horses (S3).... A bit average

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:58 pm I recently completed Fool me Once(Harlan Coben) Utter garbage! Only finished it because friends said it was good. It was awful, worst I've seen in many years. Wanted to switch it off multiple times. I agree with the one star review in the Independent and all the negative reviews on reddit etc
Agreed, total crap. I didn't manage to get through the first episode.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

HALO
Paramount+ (I think) downloaded from eztv

Violence, nasty aliens, what more could you ask? I saw an ad for season 2, but how did I miss season 1? You lot are letting me down... 20 mins into ep 1.
This is the way