'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: 'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Post by Nereus »

I had decided to renew my (Australian) passport a few months before it expired, partly because it was nearly full and partly because I didn't want to be confined to the house, should restrictions get more severe, with my passport running out on me.
Did immigration require a letter from the Australian Embassy saying that the new passport is genuine?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Meerkat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Meerkat »

Nereus wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:45 pm
I had decided to renew my (Australian) passport a few months before it expired, partly because it was nearly full and partly because I didn't want to be confined to the house, should restrictions get more severe, with my passport running out on me.
Did immigration require a letter from the Australian Embassy saying that the new passport is genuine?
A letter accompanied the passport from the embassy to Immigration explaining that the old passport had been cancelled yet contained an extant visa. I copied the letter and provided the original to immigration.
Meerkat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Meerkat »

I should add, I did a 90 day report at the same time. My next 90 day report being due from when the last one was due to expire, rather than the day it was processed.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Meerkat wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:45 pm
Nereus wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:45 pm
A letter accompanied the passport from the embassy to Immigration explaining that the old passport had been cancelled yet contained an extant visa. I copied the letter and provided the original to immigration.
Thanks.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

I allow me to ask if anyone could enlighten me about what the practice is and status at Hua Hin Immigration to extend a retirement visa (Non O) using pension income letter from Embassy? Do I in addition need to show a full year of transactions to my Thai Bank account or is the income letter enough to prove the income as long as it is more than 800000,- annually?

Thank you
hahuahin
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have a question that I would appreciate advice on, as I consider my options for renewing my AO in a few months time (changing to an O doesn't seem viable at the moment).

1. Does anyone know if the combination method is still acceptable ie. a sum in the bank and monthly income that equates to 800k per annum? I thought not, but all the lawyers websites I loot at say yes.

2. If yes and if planning to use this for the first time, does anyone know if the lump sum has to be in my account 2 or 3 months in advance of my extension? At the moment, I use monthly income only.

Thanks.
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

caller wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:19 pm I have a question that I would appreciate advice on, as I consider my options for renewing my AO in a few months time (changing to an O doesn't seem viable at the moment).

1. Does anyone know if the combination method is still acceptable ie. a sum in the bank and monthly income that equates to 800k per annum? I thought not, but all the lawyers websites I loot at say yes.

2. If yes and if planning to use this for the first time, does anyone know if the lump sum has to be in my account 2 or 3 months in advance of my extension? At the moment, I use monthly income only.

Thanks.
1. There has been no change in the combination method.

2. 2 months in advance is now the requirement if using 800k on deposit, so I doubt that it is any different for the combination method. What has changed is that the money in the bank now has to remain for 3 moths AFTER the date of extension.
visa extension.jpg
visa extension.jpg (89.49 KiB) Viewed 674 times
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks for that Neerus, it's helping to clarify my thinking. This years extension will be based on what I have done over the previous 12 months. All I have to do is make sure I have the funds in the bank here on the right date, should I decide to change, for next year
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:02 pm Thanks for that Neerus, it's helping to clarify my thinking. This years extension will be based on what I have done over the previous 12 months. All I have to do is make sure I have the funds in the bank here on the right date, should I decide to change, for next year
On the basis that we can’t leave the country at the moment, I took the (enforced) decision to stay on my OA visa, which of course necessitated the need to buy health insurance. Hopefully this will be a one-off and next year I can change to an O visa, unless of course they change the medical insurance rules for the O visa!!
londongeorge

Post by londongeorge »

Just a quick question about my Retirement Visa. This is the first time I have done my Visa using monthly transfers from overseas previously doing the B800,000 in Thai bank method. I have been getting a Credit Note from my Thai bank each month stating the amount of the transfer and confirming that it is coming from overseas. Is there any other paperwork required from the bank? Possibly a balance letter dated the day I apply for my Visa or something similar.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

balance letter dated the day I apply for my Visa or something similar.
And your updated bank book.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

benmo wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:42 am First marriage extension at Hua Hin yesterday. Paperwork checked by helper all ok. Then we see IO, he wants bank book update, proof we’re still married (only last July),and a different set of photos.
Return pm with witness. IO happy now. IO visits house at 6pm, takes a few photos. A bit of a pain compared to retirement extension but all very courteous and professional. Return next month to confirm visa hopefully
Did you have to do anything special to change from a retirement extension to a marriage extension or was it just a question of supplying the appropriate documents?

Can you confirm that no proof of health insurance was required? (I have health insurance, I just don't want to change it to include outpatient cover since it doubles the premium).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

londongeorge wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:40 pm Just a quick question about my Retirement Visa. This is the first time I have done my Visa using monthly transfers from overseas previously doing the B800,000 in Thai bank method. I have been getting a Credit Note from my Thai bank each month stating the amount of the transfer and confirming that it is coming from overseas. Is there any other paperwork required from the bank? Possibly a balance letter dated the day I apply for my Visa or something similar.
I'm just back from Immigration having renewed using the monthly transfer method. The hoops I had to jump through were:

- Provide passport
- Provide bank book
- Provide letter from bank (obtained this morning)
- Provide 12 months bank statement - the bank didn't give me a statement, and technically my application should have been refused. Unusually, I stayed calm, took it on the chin, and the nice lady spoke to her boss, and they let me off that one this year, saying I must produce one next year. The second consecutive year they've been lenient with me.
- Provide 12 credit advices
- Provide a passport photo of me
- Provide a copy of my wife's Tabien Baan
- Provide a copy of my wife's ID Card (that one surprised me)
- Provide a copy of proof of pension from the UK
- Pay 1900฿
- Provide the mountain of photo copies made by the nice photo copy lady.

It sounds a lot, but was quite simple really. We arrived just before 13:00 and I was driving home at 13:23.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

You're always my "dry run", BB as mine has to be done by the income method some time during August.

Your list contains a few things that I didn't need to produce last year, so I've got some questions, if I can ask.

1. Last year, my bank letter wasn't dated on the day the extension was applied for. I didn't see the need for that as I'm extending by income not savings. Together with the bank book, it was accepted. Did Imm insist that your letter be dated the same day?

2. Why were your wife's details needed? I thought you were doing things by retirement. It's not a problem for me to supply my wife's but I don't see what they've got to do with my extension.

3. Did Imm ask for proof of pension? Again, this wasn't required for me last year. The credit advices and bank statements only were necessary to show I was bringing in the required amount from abroad each month.

The rest of the paperwork is as expected.

Thanks for any insights.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

1. No, in fact whilst my application was being refused (accepted later) the lady said I had 7 days to produce a statement, else my bank letter would become expired. I take that as meaning you have a 7 day validity.

2. I have no idea, and I was quite surprised, but as we know, resistance is futile.

3. Yes, most definitely. Covid procedures mean you are initially given a 5 point check* downstairs before being given a number to go upstairs. The guy there specifically asked for my proof of pension, which I was surprised had arrived this year because of the Covid mail situation. I definitely didnt volunteer it, but I needed it to pass stage 4.

Of course, you could go tomorrow, see somebody different and have a different set of criterion.

* Five point check........
1. Temerature
2. Receive Badge
3. Check Documentation
4. Receive Blue Number for Annual Extension or Yellow Number for 90 Days. I was doing both, so Blue trumped Yellow
5. Get told to go upstairs
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: