The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Post by Big Boy »

Assuming you're using a laptop or desktop, you could try Ctrl followed by the + symbol until you get the right size. If you get carried away with too many +'s, - will reverse it.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:08 pm Assuming you're using a laptop or desktop, you could try Ctrl followed by the + symbol until you get the right size. If you get carried away with too many +'s, - will reverse it.
That worked, thank you. Another digital mystery is solved.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:thumb:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Spell checker

Post by Nereus »

Not sure if it is just me, my browser, Windows 10 or just old age. (Microsoft Edge browser)

I do not have a problem using Word in Windows 10, the built in checker works well, but trying to post directly I have got to the stage of having to run Google in another window just to check spelling.
Any clues appreciated.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Spell checker

Post by hhinner »

Do you have spellcheck enabled in Edge settings (Languages)?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

hhinner wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:36 pm Do you have spellcheck enabled in Edge settings (Languages)?
No idea, as the page opens in Thai and I cannot read it, or find a way to change to English!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Nereus wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:49 pm
hhinner wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:36 pm Do you have spellcheck enabled in Edge settings (Languages)?
No idea, as the page opens in Thai and I cannot read it, or find a way to change to English!
Pherhaps I should of asked: "does the Forum software include a spellchecker". There is nothing wrong with my computer hardware!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nereus wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:46 pm Pherhaps I should of asked: "does the Forum software include a spellchecker". There is nothing wrong with my computer hardware!
No, but you can use the Grammarly browser plugin which does exactly that. Or use an English language browser with a spellchecker built in such as Chrome.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have a problem with my ACER laptop. It's less than a year old and a couple of months ago it froze. On investigation it was because of overheating. I've had the fan cleaned and placed it on top of a 'tablet cooler' which helped a little.

It's getting worse. From spiking a couple of times a day it spikes almost every hour now. Most of the time it's in the mid to high 30's but the spikes puts it into the 80's and 90's. When it hits the 90's it freezes or shuts down.

Yes it's still under warranty but it's a manufacturer's warranty which would mean sending it off to BKK with the usual wait to get it fixed. Is this something I could do myself or have fixed locally.

Over to you geniuses.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

There are a few easy to fix things that might be responsible. Even so fixing them locally may invalidate the warranty.

The obvious one is the fan(s). It may not be running properly due to either the fan itself is bust or it's not getting power properly.

It's also possible that the contact between heatsink and processor (and maybe GPU) is no longer good and the heatsink needs removing, surfaces need cleaning, then refitting.

A local computer shop should be able to check these fairly simple things. (eg the famous K. Don). Cheap to fix.

Knowing the exact model you should be able to do a Google search for this laptop and "overheating" .

Hopefully the overheating hasn't damaged anything.

I don't think there's anything you can do yourself. Unless it's a simple problem you'll probably have to go the warranty route.

buksida

Post by buksida »

My Acer also overheats a little, the AMD chipset ones are known for it. However, it is still going at four years old and I use one of those laptop fan trays with it now which seems to keep it under control.

80-90 degrees indicates an internal cooling issue so it will need to come apart - if its still under warranty the nearest official Acer store would be the best solution, doing it yourself will invalidate the warranty as mentioned above so its a risk you'll have to take.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks, Buksi.

I'll take your advice.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Yesterday I suddenly got more than 700 emails sent to my Gmail account from sources I've never heard of. Nearly all of them wanted me to confirm my subscription to their newsletter or the like - but I've never ever had any communication with any of them. These messages are still coming in today, though nowhere near at the same rate as yesterday. Any ideas how this has happened and how I can stop this please?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I get an average of 10-15 most days, I’ve worked out how to block them so that they go direct into your junk mail, but you still have to empty that. I use gmail and you get an option on the right hand side opposite the senders name three dots … if you click on that, one of the options is to block the sender.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Forgot to mention that I use Thunderbird to get my emails, but I've never has a problem of this magnitude before, i.e. close to 1k mails in 24 hours. Seems like it's a planned attack or something - is that possible!!??