What is all the fuss about Covid?

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: What is all the fuss about Covid?

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think you’re forgetting that in the first year of Covid with no vaccines, millions of people worldwide required hospital treatment with hundreds of thousands needing ICU care. I don’t see how you can keep a straight face and suggest everyone had the wool pulled over their eyes.

Two years on and much of the world is beginning to move on, however there remains a large proportion of the poorest nations who have completed less than 10% vaccination of their adult population and until such time as this number gets closer to the advanced nation average of 70%, then everyone will continue to be affected to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well said but the deniers will never accept it. As far as they're concerned it's been a worldwide conspiracy from the word GO. No good confusing them with facts.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The problem with the whole lockdown scenario is that there is no way to prove whether it was effective or not. It's not like there was a controlled study.

In these times it should be obvious that governments want to control the population and any excuse at all will do. China is the role model.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:55 pm governments want to control the population
This is a statement I have heard almost daily since Covid reared it's ugly head. I know most of us don't have much time for the Thai Government, but wouldn't you think a Government wanting to control us would give it's police force a kick up the backside? Without an effective police force, where does this control come from?

Yes, they make rules, but Thailand has always made rules. How often are those rules enforced for more than one or 2 days? Yes, they make the occasional appearance like NYE for appearance, but everything returned to normal the next day. This is an inconvenience, not control.

Of course I don't like these rules, but have I felt controlled during the last 2 years? Not at all. So if this is what it is all about, the Government is failing miserably.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:27 pm
handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:55 pm governments want to control the population
This is a statement I have heard almost daily since Covid reared it's ugly head. I know most of us don't have much time for the Thai Government, but wouldn't you think a Government wanting to control us would give it's police force a kick up the backside? Without an effective police force, where does this control come from?

Yes, they make rules, but Thailand has always made rules. How often are those rules enforced for more than one or 2 days? Yes, they make the occasional appearance like NYE for appearance, but everything returned to normal the next day. This is an inconvenience, not control.

Of course I don't like these rules, but have I felt controlled during the last 2 years? Not at all. So if this is what it is all about, the Government is failing miserably.
"governments" is plural.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So do you exclude Thailand in that statement?

Points 51; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:41 pm So do you exclude Thailand in that statement?
No. I include most governments. You're the one who singled out Thailand.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I talked about the Government I have actual current experience of. The rest, all that I know is what I read in the news. I find it hard to believe most of what I read at the moment.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

This is going off-topic but Thailand's "police" have made millions in fines out of covid, some of it goes back to the govt, most goes in their pockets increasing their incentives even further. This is how they control the population, instilling fear through the threat of loss of money while regular folk slip deeper into poverty. Wealthy farang retirees won't feel it so much.

The pandemic has been the perfect tool for them (also used to quell protests) which is why there will be no hurry to ease lockdowns/restrictions in Thailand regardless of what those meaningless daily figures say. The state of emergency is likely to be a permanent fixture for Thailand while the junta is in charge, very little of it has anything to do with covid.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, we are going off topic, but this isn't Government Control, it is a corrupt police force doing what they want, when they want to take advantage of a situation created by the Government. The police are doing what they want i.e. not what the Government want them to, which actually makes life quite bearable for those living here, with a blind eye being turned to those breaking the Government's wishes.

The state of emergency is a tool being used to control the protests/riots in Bangkok. Yes, that is Government Control, but effects a very small part of the population.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

The government allows the corrupt police force to do what they want so they are fuelling the fire. Control always comes from the top and it affects everyone - how many businesses/livelihoods have been destroyed by government policies since lockdowns began? What are the suicide rates/depression/illness/poverty figures? All have surged since the government closed the country - control benefits those at the top and their billionaire partners, it oppresses the masses.

A small example is a fact that we effectively cannot travel anymore (at least we can't return to Thailand). Like it or not, that is a form of government control.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:37 am The government allows the corrupt police force to do what they want so they are fuelling the fire. Control always comes from the top and it affects everyone - how many businesses/livelihoods have been destroyed by government policies since lockdowns began? What are the suicide rates/depression/illness/poverty figures? All have surged since the government closed the country - control benefits those at the top and their billionaire partners, it oppresses the masses.

A small example is a fact that we effectively cannot travel anymore (at least we can't return to Thailand). Like it or not, that is a form of government control.
Well you can return to Thailand, it’s just that you may have to undergo a period of quarantine - I believe Phuket still provides an alternative option? And of course, Thailand has hardly been on its own in imposing travel restrictions - ask any Australians what it’s been like trying to get in or out of Oz for the past 18 months plus.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yeah, I know, it's happening everywhere but this is a Thailand forum so what happens here directly affects us. The bottom line is that governments have more control than ever before ... and they like it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

To me it is more like they have lost control, if they ever had it. The Government sets all sorts of rules and regulations, and the police force do whatever suits them at the time. We obviously have different ideas of the definition of control.

Points 51; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

As far as I know, the police are a branch of government, acting for and on the behalf of governments.

In the US the police are a branch of the Executive branch, be it federal or state, of government.