Fish & Chips

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Fish & Chips

Post by sateeb »

Slightly relevant to this thread, AP Interfoods are advertising Harry Ramsden mushy peas at 60 baht per can.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

sateeb wrote:Slightly relevant to this thread, AP Interfoods are advertising Harry Ramsden mushy peas at 60 baht per can.
Incidentally, do Aussies say 'mashy' peas?!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:15 pm
sateeb wrote:Slightly relevant to this thread, AP Interfoods are advertising Harry Ramsden mushy peas at 60 baht per can.

If I was Australian I probably could answer that! :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

sateeb wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:15 pm

If I was Australian I probably could answer that! :naughty:
Hoho
It wasn't directed at you specifically but to anyone who is Aussie or simply would know?

artyoz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by artyoz »

Ive never heard them called Mashy peas..always Mushy in my neck of the woods, in Oz.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

artyoz wrote:Ive never heard them called Mashy peas..always Mushy in my neck of the woods, in Oz.
Thanks, maybe I misheard the Aussie twang?? Image

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:56 am Apologies if there's a fish and chip thread....

But has anyone had the F&C at both Zabwer and Siam Viking and can compare them both(cost and quality)?

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yes, I have eaten fish and chips at both.

At Zebwer, I prefer the haddock as two big pieces of cod is too much for me. When I have eaten the cod, sometimes, I find the batter to be a bit unevenly cooked.

I have eaten Haddock loads of times and will probably do so a bit later today. The fish and batter is usually very good, consistently so. The frozen chips are prettty basic and could do with an upgrade, but they do a job. Served with a small side salad as well - no dressing (for me, at least). It comes with tartare sauce as well, but no point asking me about that, as I don't eat it and they know me well enough to not bother serving it. According to the menu, mushy peas comes with the cod and normal peas with the haddock, but I always ask for the mushy version of peas.

I think the quality of fish and cooking is a slight upgrade at Siam Viking. They also offer cod and haddock (and salmon), but unlike Zebwer, where I almost always eat Haddock, at Siam, I have only eaten the cod (twice). Probably because I usually have the Haddock at Zebwer!

The first time I ate there, despite my concern, based on the pics I had seen of the beer batter, it was like a revelation. It was that good, and the batter was great. The 2nd time as a lone diner in the middle of the afternoon, in the middle of the week, it wasn't quite as good. Firstly, I wasn't sure they were open as no one was around (that can happen at Zebwer as well), but eventualy a lady turned up and cooked my meal. The frozen chips are better than those at Zebwer, but only if cooked properly. On the first visit, they were, on the 2nd visit, they were undercooked. They don't do mushy peas, they are in effect, crushed peas, with a bit of vinegar added. I liked them, but if expecting full blown mushy peas, you will be disappointed. There are also a variety of dips to choose from, if tartare isn't your thing. With the exception of a basic fish sauce, they are all mayo based.

Siam is more expensive and will be somewhere I visit when I fancy a change to Zebwer. It's further away and it's proximity to cicada means parking is affected at the times cicada is operating. The first visit was on a Friday afternoon, and we had to park on the other side of the road and a little futher north. When I visited midweek, I could park right in front of the restaurant. Zebwer has two car parks, well a drive through one really, with their private road going behind the restaurant from one side to the other.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, I had Haddock and Chips at Zebwer earlier, and it was truly excellent. Considering my concern above, about the size of the 2 pieces of cod served, what did I end up with? Two big portions of haddock!

Damn, it was good. The fish is the most important aspect of the dish for me, and it was cooked to perfection. Perfect flakes of fish, holding their shape on the fork, with a light, crispy batter. They serve on big plates there and I was just about stuffed by the time I finished.

Oh, and I got some of the crispy gubbins that were discussed here once, the stuff from the bottom of the fryer, that they used to give to kids waiting in the fish and chip shops. That was today's bonus!
20230901_153222.jpg
(261.57 KiB) Downloaded 23194 times
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:16 pm
Oh, and I got some of the crispy gubbins that were discussed here once, the stuff from the bottom of the fryer, that they used to give to kids waiting in the fish and chip shops. That was today's bonus!
Bits! Or scraps,or (apparently) scrumps or gribble. "Six penn'eth of chips with some bits, please, mister!"
bits.jpg
bits.jpg (9.75 KiB) Viewed 24873 times
This is the way
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

caller wrote:Well, I had Haddock and Chips at Zebwer earlier, and it was truly excellent. Considering my concern above, about the size of the 2 pieces of cod served, what did I end up with? Two big portions of haddock!

Damn, it was good. The fish is the most important aspect of the dish for me, and it was cooked to perfection. Perfect flakes of fish, holding their shape on the fork, with a light, crispy batter. They serve on big plates there and I was just about stuffed by the time I finished.

20230901_153222.jpg
Just to confirm..... Is that 400 baht in that photo?

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it so much

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The fish looks quite reasonable although the chips look a bit paltry in size/quantity - I know of at least one forum member who wouldn’t be happy with them!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:25 pm Just to confirm..... Is that 400 baht in that photo?
330 baht
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:27 pm the chips look a bit paltry in size/quantity - I know of at least one forum member who wouldn’t be happy with them!!
The quantity is fine, especially with so much fish. My objection is they are frozen. Why can't a cook or chef peel and chip a spud? They can manage to slice a fresh tomato, or probably more appropriately if the meal had carrots, they'd manage peel and slice that carrot. Isn't the skill set very similar? Just laziness.

:rant:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
rustensa
Novice
Novice

Post by rustensa »

I've been looking for a good fish and chips place and this has risen to the top of my list. Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know my thoughts. :D