Rugby 101

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

sargeant wrote:Well i reckon someone was watching Australian Rules Football League AFL

Which is played on a circular pitch is football and uses a ball the same shape as a rugby ball and 4 goalposts at each end
they also have very important language changes in the commenttary which MEN ie HETERO must be mindfull of

For instance {hes just fumbled in the back pocket and scored a behind :shock: :shock: :? :roll: :roll: } thats Ausies for you aint it ozuncle you explain it i am :oops: :oops: :oops:
No, this was Rubgy for sure. As Jamie described, the Blues and Lions are also rugby teams, even though Oz rules may have teams of the same name. I just assumed all Oz teams as it as on ABC TV cable, apparently they broadcast other games as well. Let's see what comes up this weekend. Pete :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Pete,
Depending on the game, it'll be interesting to find out how the various descriptions of "the rules" relate to anything you see and how you interpret those rules.
Could make interesting reading :thumb:
Chok dii.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

lomuamart wrote:Pete,
Depending on the game, it'll be interesting to find out how the various descriptions of "the rules" relate to anything you see and how you interpret those rules.
In rugby it is 'The Laws' rather than 'The Rules'.

I just can't help being a pedant when it comes to rugby!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Jaime wrote: In rugby it is 'The Laws' rather than 'The Rules'.
This is Thailand Jamie, therefore it is 'The Raws'. :D Pete :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Jaime wrote:
lomuamart wrote:Pete,
In rugby it is 'The Laws' rather than 'The Rules'.

I just can't help being a pedant when it comes to rugby!
Fair enough. The last time I studied them was ages ago.
How about "regulations"?
That dosn't work either, does it?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just FYI, haven't forgotten this. There is no printed schedule for cable over here and from what I can determine it is only on ABC Australia(cable) on friday nights. I missed last friday night. Everytime I turned ABC on over the weekend it was AFL. I don't think rugby is scheduled on UBC on a regular basis either, although many sports bars show it regularly, must be the JSAT service out of South Africa? Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

OK, a few comments from part of a game I saw this morning, but it was League, between Brisbane and Marina Quay. One sad event was that one man got his leg badly broken.

1) Man in possession goes to kick the ball. The ball is in the air half way between his hands and his foot. His foot is coming up to meet the ball and he gets absolutely hammered. No penalty called so I assume it is legal to 'tackle' the kicker in the act of kicking even if he does not indeed have possession of the ball....ball falling between hands and foot.

2) Man does a short squib kick into the try area. Another player runs and dives at it and barely touches it with his hand before it goes out the back of the try area. Try is awarded even if he did not have full possession of the ball but only touched it? Pete :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

You'll get better replies from others who are still following the game, however from my playing days, I'd say that's it's illegal to tackle or otherwise interfere with any player when they're not in possession of the ball. So, when someone's kicking and an opposing player tries to tackle/block the kick, it all happens so fast, it's difficult for the referee to decide whether the tackler was acting "with malice aforethought".
As far as the try is concerned, I'd say that the scorer must have downward pressure on the ball within the try area. Quite often these decisions go to replays now and it's just as usual to see a try disallowed because it's deemed that the ball wasn't under control and the player didn't have downward pressure on the ball at the time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lomuamart wrote:You'll get better replies from others who are still following the game, however from my playing days, I'd say that's it's illegal to tackle or otherwise interfere with any player when they're not in possession of the ball. So, when someone's kicking and an opposing player tries to tackle/block the kick, it all happens so fast, it's difficult for the referee to decide whether the tackler was acting "with malice aforethought".
As far as the try is concerned, I'd say that the scorer must have downward pressure on the ball within the try area. Quite often these decisions go to replays now and it's just as usual to see a try disallowed because it's deemed that the ball wasn't under control and the player didn't have downward pressure on the ball at the time.
Thanks Lomu. Concerning the try, when he touched it, it was on the top surface but far from dowward pressure from what I saw. Pete :cheers:

PS: We are right about the continuous action in this game as compared to the NFL. You can't even get up for coffee, beer or a trip to the head without missing something....LOL.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Sounds like a dubious decision then.
Jaime, BB etc will probably be better able to explain the niceities of that situation, but it can always be difficult to make decisions as a referee when, as you've noted, the game's all about getting on with it etc - not sitting down for a cup of tea as the video refs make a decision.
There are always bad decisions. It's part of the game, although with so much money involved in it now, there would be plenty of people who'd disagree with that comment.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What's the normal age when these pro players retire, around 30, or does it depend upon position played?

As comparing to the NFL, some quarterbacks and wide receivers will go to 32 -34 or so. Lineman lucky to reach 30 and running backs about the same. One unique position, the place kicker can go to 40. Nowadays, these guys are usually all ex-soccer players.

With rugby though, everyone seems to play equally as hard and tough so perhaps the wear & tear is equal throughout. Pete :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Not sure exactly. Like you said, Pete, it'll depend on the position you play. However, I'd reckon 35 would be pushing it anywhere on the field.
My brother was still playing "muck around rugby" at 40 and ending up with a broken nose, damaged ligaments etc etc. I went to support his team one time I was back in the UK. I was sworn not to tell my parents that he was still turning out on a Saturday afternoon. I never did, but the excuses for his "cuts and scrapes" became more difficult to explain as time went by.
My father, who had a cap playing for Scotland during the war years, continued playing until my Mum insisted he stop. That was apparantly just after I was born. My father accepted the responsibility and was then forever free of broken noses and legs :thumb:
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

anyone know what sat is showing rugby world cup
just got ubc platninum
was it a waste of time????????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock
help for a poor paddy finding his way arouind hua hin: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Not that poor Bozz if youve got UBC Platinum.

I dont even know what it means let alone how much it costs.

Tell me about it please.
You only live once.
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

ubc platinum its 2thousand bath a month give 67 channels
only can find about 5- 6 on sport all seem to be soccer
plus a FEW CRAP MOVIE CHANNELS IF YOU LIKE WATCHING ARNIE TERMINITOR 20 TIMES IN A ROW ITS OK
ALL MOVIES LOOK 20 YERS OLD ON ALL OF THEM THEN A DOSE OF BLACK AND WHITE MOVIES TOO
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!