The Android Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Re: The Android Thread

Post by Chromeman »

I use GMail and the GMail client on the phone, and it is very good at picking out the spam.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I have a Gmail account but the rest are at my own domains so I need an email client with a decent spam filter.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

You can use Gmail with external accounts. Take a look in Accounts under Settings: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2& ... s/accounts.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I use Avast antivirus for Android... doesn't stop spam, but makes me feel more secure about phone viruses.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

buksida wrote:Took about ten minutes, used this which worked without a hitch: http://www.kingoapp.com/
I downloaded that and tried to use it but couldn't get the first step to work. It says to tap "About Phone", "Build Number", "Developer Options", and "USB Debugging" on the phone before you can use the program. I tap About Phone, then Build Number... and nothing happens... I don't get the next screen that is supposed to come up with the option of "Developer Options".

It's a Galaxy SII. Any ideas why I don't get that screen (or anything) when I tap "Build Number".

Edit: Never mind, I found "USB Debugging on a different screen than where Kingoapp said it would be.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
ARW
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ARW »

hhfarang wrote:
buksida wrote:Took about ten minutes, used this which worked without a hitch: http://www.kingoapp.com/
I downloaded that and tried to use it but couldn't get the first step to work. It says to tap "About Phone", "Build Number", "Developer Options", and "USB Debugging" on the phone before you can use the program. I tap About Phone, then Build Number... and nothing happens... I don't get the next screen that is supposed to come up with the option of "Developer Options".

It's a Galaxy SII. Any ideas why I don't get that screen (or anything) when I tap "Build Number".

Edit: Never mind, I found "USB Debugging on a different screen than where Kingoapp said it would be.

Tap build number 10 times. After 7 taps you get a message yo are nearly a developer.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've just bought an android tablet to replace my aging netbook. Has anyone tried Sygic navigation for Thailand? I've downloaded the trial version and it looks very good but I'm not in Thailand right now and I just wondered how accurate it is in use before paying for it.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I downloaded the trial version and it worked very well, it even has the dirt roads around the Hauy Sai Tai area on it. After the trial ran out I decided I didn't really need to spend 30 Euros on a map as I never really go anywhere but I can see it being useful for travelling inside Bangkok or perhaps to remoter places in Thailand.

I also have the MapFactor Navigator which uses OpenStreetMaps for free or TomTom if you pay for it. The OpenStreetMaps don't have all the small dirt roads on it but does seem to have Bangkok on it. You can add the local roads through the OpenStreetMap project if you want, but that doesn't help unless someone in the middle of nowhere (where you're going) has done that already.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Thank you for that Frank, I'll pay for the maps if it works as it does look pretty comprehensive. I've never had a navigation GPS in a car before but in December I was touring in the area around Chumpon with my neighbour and his GPS equipped Fortuner allowed us to explore in a manner that would have been difficult without it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote:I was touring in the area around Chumpon with my neighbour and his GPS equipped Fortuner allowed us to explore in a manner that would have been difficult without it.
That's basically what I do. Take this turning, that turning etc until I'm well and truly lost. I then press the home button on my SatNav, and she takes me home :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Annoying incoming messages

It's been posted before but I can't find it or a solution

I get alsorts of gobbledegook sent to me on my mobiles. Most from AIS and in Thai. How does one get rid please?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

This is nothing to do with Android - its AIS spam, you can get your number unsubscribed from some of them at the AIS stand in MV but you can't stop them all.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think the number is 1175, then follow the instructions - simples.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

I have a DTAC Happy Tourist SIM card and I also get some SMS with advertising in Thai. But have no problem with that since there are rarely more than 1 or 2 per day, and some days without any.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

richard wrote:Annoying incoming messages

It's been posted before but I can't find it or a solution

I get alsorts of gobbledegook sent to me on my mobiles. Most from AIS and in Thai. How does one get rid please?
Had an absolute 'mare with SPAM messages when I first arrived on this job in Spain. Was recommended "SMS Blocker by Optinno", which I installed have been very impressed with. I'm using the free version which certainly works well for me.

See https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... smsBlocker

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.