Thailand Air Quality and Pollution Alerts

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Re: Thailand Air Pollution Alerts

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you. I can understand why some sites may be saying there isn't a problem - similar to TAT's arrivals figures :cuss:

Assuming airvisual.com is reputable, maybe our clever guys in Admin might want to instal the widget on to our page https://www.airvisual.com/air-quality-widget
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

airvisual is very good source, and fairly accurate, as the local station (PKK / municipality) and my meter agree most times.

So that's my best reference point for other locations in Thailand. And while out & about, again, pretty close readings to each.

I wouldn't trust the Gov't run sites, as Richard Barrow tracks the AQI, from his school / office, and one time was wondering why the Gov't meter nearby was Unicorns & Rainbows, and his meter was 'break out the N95 mask'. So he strolled down for a peek, and they had water misters at the meter station.....555 No BS, that was on his twitter.

Mind boggling ... 555

As stated earlier, 39 million tourist, yet all are crying about the tourist slump........George Carlin #1 rule, "never trust what your gov't tells you'

Today.......total crap, and AQI 117 @ PKK this AM, and last night when taking dog for bedtime leak, I smelled smoke outside. Seriously think the municipality does all it's trash burning at night, as that's a common occurrence at night many times, smokey. Also the only ones I see during the day burning grass & brush trimmings.

Drove up to Krung Thep, and pretty bad all the way. Good judge are some of the landmarks and outcroppings along the way, and non 'in focus'...LOL

Actually decent now at Bang Khae, and meter @ 50, quite surprisingly, and I can actually see clouds and some blue sky. Where on 35, simply all grey, and I don't think it was overcast. Other parts of Krung Thep, also under 100.

PKK @ 107 # 1300 hrs .... that's just sad.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Air Visual- where is it originated

Post by Hahuahin »

I allow me to ask if anyone know where Air Visual is originated and who's behind and responsible for measure the air quality because if reliable then this is scary :( https://www.airvisual.com/thailand/prac ... an/hua-hin

This is also hard to believe https://www.airvisual.com/thailand/phuket due to experience with living in Phuket previously and the air near roads there is like fog early evening :roll: On top of that its supposed to be better Bangkok air quality in Bangkok than in Hua Hin https://www.airvisual.com/air-quality-m ... omLevel=10 :?

Thank you
hahuahin
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This should answer most of your questions: https://www.airvisual.com/about-us

Yes, this time of year due to prevailing winds Hua Hin air quality is at times worse than Bangkok air quality.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

PeteC wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:25 am This should answer most of your questions: https://www.airvisual.com/about-us

Yes, this time of year due to prevailing winds Hua Hin air quality is at times worse than Bangkok air quality.
Okay, Thank you.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

I have noticed this more burning this haze over hua hin getting thicker by the day air quality must be deteriorating .
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Well I for my part choose to follow my own experiences, senses and logic and take these measurements with a pinch of salt. I like bicycling for exercise and have been doing so since day one in Thailand. Both in Phuket, Hua Hin and even Bangkok and have seen where the locals more usual than not ride with face mask which to the contrary are rare to see in and around Hua Hin.In addition traffic density which pollute most of everything is with some exceptions almost nonexistent in Hua Hin compared to Phuket and of course Bangkok.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Not sure how you could be in denial about the readings. On a bad day go to hin lek fai viewpoint or the beach and see how far you can see compared to a good day. As far as continual consistency of poor air quality I’m thinking Hua Hin is not a good place to live.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Definitely in denial there Hahuahin. Drove through HH area twice the past couple weeks, and could barely see the hills.

Also how I can tell what my meter will state, before even turning on, by simply looking, hopefully seeing the hill clearly in the bay from the balcony with morning coffee. Can easily tell when < 50, <100 or anywhere in between without the meter.

Of course, in town, riding the streets, and unless really bad, you are not going to notice 100 meter or 500 meters away. But any open area, then it becomes quite obvious, as on a clear day, you should have 10 -20 kms vis, if unobstructed.

Hills to the west of me are about 15 kms away, and clear on a good day. Today, not so clear. Surrounding the bay hill < 5 kms away from the balcony, so an easy judge by the amount of details I can see.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Not in deny about air pollution in Hua Hin but compared to many other destination both in and outside Thailand I think Hua Hin are mostly on the safe side. However I think the way I wrote the post is somewhat misunderstood. I don't doubt the measurements or those who read them but thought more about constant pollution on a daily basis and not one day now and then. By the way I do not cycle the streets in the city but usually start out from Tesco near Vana Nava and heading up Soi 112 and cant remember to not have visibility mostly all the way to the intersection before Thap tai (Road 2004)

hahuahin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think it's one day now and then. It has been almost constant since September. My wife was seriously affected last month, and spent quite a few days in Hua Hin Hospital. On her ward of about 60 beds, only 8 were for patients without breathing problems.

Sansiri where the worst reports are coming from is maybe a mile from your start point.

Situation now:
Air.png
Air.png (68.53 KiB) Viewed 5024 times

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Photos that I posted of burning removed - it seems they are several weeks old.

Points 51; Position 21
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

http://www.huahin.go.th/site/index.php? ... Itemid=104

Could someone please translate this.

I for one are guilty of burning my garden rubbish on occaisions.
Am I breaking the law?

ps. I dont live in town

David
You only live once.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's an image, not text, and I can't get it copied properly into a translation application unfortunately.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

When I open the page it shows a couple of photos but there is also a lot of Thai writing which I premsume explains the law regarding this matter.
You only live once.