Coronavirus Precautions/News/Updates for Hua Hin/Prachuap

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
buksida

Re: Coronavirus Precautions - Hua Hin/Thailand

Post by buksida »

Earlier on I posted an article here about a Singaporean that was charged a small fortune for treatment so I very much doubt that farangs will get anything gratis in any Thai hospital.

In this case I'd love to be proved wrong but we can only find out from someone that has been admitted here with Covid-19 and treated.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I too, think it is too good to be true, so it probably isn't. However, we don't know if the Singaporean was a tourist or expat.

If it is true, I guess the definition of expat will then come into question.

Easiest way to be sure - isolate and avoid the beastie all together.

Out of interest buksi, have you been for your check-up yet? Some farangs are being tested for Covid at these centres - were you? Did you have to pay the exorbitant costs of the test? From what I'm reading, it's free, even for Farangs.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:08 am Out of interest buksi, have you been for your check-up yet? Some farangs are being tested for Covid at these centres - were you? Did you have to pay the exorbitant costs of the test? From what I'm reading, it's free, even for Farangs.
No chance, the last thing I want to do is mingle with a load of other people that may or may not be infected. Besides, there is no such test area or facility where I live and the govt have advised against travelling so I'm listening to them and staying home. I've done my 14 days isolation and am virus-free so am not jeopardizing that by going out or into crowds unless its absolutely necessary.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Thailand release new figures this morning of 38 new with virus. This must be very good news as the daily figures have pretty much been falling each day. The cancellation of international incoming flights for 3/4 days will surely contain the risk from visitors, together with the recent 14 day isolation being imposed

The country has been castigated as to how they have acted but personally I congratulate them.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

:thumb: Yes, good news and Breaking News on the Bangkok Post. Full story when they post it. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
DTHH

Post by DTHH »

Yep, if it's correct, I'm with you on the PET.
As is always the way, a lot of people out there who reckon they could have done better, until they actually had to🍻🥂🍷
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

PET wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:06 pm Thailand release new figures this morning of 38 new with virus. This must be very good news as the daily figures have pretty much been falling each day. The cancellation of international incoming flights for 3/4 days will surely contain the risk from visitors, together with the recent 14 day isolation being imposed

The country has been castigated as to how they have acted but personally I congratulate them.
It's not surprising they're falling because unlike many other countries, THEY ARE NOT TESTING!

The UK for example, with a smaller population have tested almost 253,000 people and they're committed to increasing that number.

In contrast, Thailand have tested 25,000, one tenth of that in the UK.

Plus there have been reports from health workers that not all deaths are reported as being due to covid19

There is really no evidence to believe the figures spouted by this government.
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:24 pm There is really no evidence to believe the figures spouted by this government.
This has been my point from day one - you can't believe anything the junta spews out to justify its existence. Thailand are not actively testing so how the hell do they know what the infection rate is. :banghead:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I work out my version of the truth based upon what I know. I don't actually know anybody in Thailand who has or has had the virus. OK, you may think, but you're a Farang and live a fairly sheltered life - correct.

However, I have a huge extended Thai family that covers a large area of Thailand none of them claim to know anybody who has been infected. As for friends, we have loads of family friends - not one claims to know anybody who has been infected. Knowing how Thais like to brag this seems to confirm the Thailand figures in my mind.

I do know a few in the UK who have had it (all recovered/recovering). Each one of them has been considered a mild case, and they each say it is by far the worst any of them has ever felt. I accept testing is not being carried out extensively here, but if even a mild case is so bad, why don't I know of anybody?

I'm actually starting to believe the Thailand figures are not that bad. Either that or my family and friends + extended family and friends have been very fortunate.

Points 51; Position 21
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I agree with Buksida's post above. I repeat:
dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:19 pm
thecolonel wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:31 pm The numbers still baffle me here...

What baffles me is that people seem to believe the numbers.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:03 pm I work out my version of the truth based upon what I know. I don't actually know anybody in Thailand who has or has had the virus. OK, you may think, but you're a Farang and live a fairly sheltered life - correct.

However, I have a huge extended Thai family that covers a large area of Thailand none of them claim to know anybody who has been infected. As for friends, we have loads of family friends - not one claims to know anybody who has been infected. Knowing how Thais like to brag this seems to confirm the Thailand figures in my mind.

I do know a few in the UK who have had it (all recovered/recovering). Each one of them has been considered a mild case, and they each say it is by far the worst any of them has ever felt. I accept testing is not being carried out extensively here, but if even a mild case is so bad, why don't I know of anybody?

I'm actually starting to believe the Thailand figures are not that bad. Either that or my family and friends + extended family and friends have been very fortunate.
Sorry BB, but :blabla: You've seen the figures for the UK, but I don't know anyone who has or has had the virus.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Really? That sounds amazing. What about your friends and relatives? Are they the same?

Points 51; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I read in one Chinese study that 90% of confirmed Corona infections had happened in areas where the temperature was between 3° and 17° C so if that is accurate, it would explain a low rate in Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If the figures reflect the true situation, then the risk in Thailand is extremely low.

That being the case, why are such drastic measures being taken, comparable to countries with severe outbreaks and deaths? Maybe the authorities know the true situation as being different to what is published.

I have family spread all over the UK, from Yorkshire to Berks to Hants and a fair few in London. I'm in touch with all of them and none of them know anyone that is or has been afflicted. They only know what they read.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:12 pm Really? That sounds amazing. What about your friends and relatives? Are they the same?
Yep for my family and friends. I'm not local to this area (before coming back to the UK 3 years ago), but my neighbours have a large family here and they don't know anyone either.

I have some cousins in the Sally Army in Manchester who are heavily involved with community support of different kinds; I'm not counting them!

My issue with the figures is not so much a lack of trust in government transparency (which surely goes without question), but more a reflection of HHTel's point above, that even if the Thai government is giving a true report of the recorded figures, those figures are totally meaningless given the lack of testing.

I'm not suggesting that the true figures are anything like Europe and the USA, just that they are probably a lot higher than those currently reported.
This is the way