Flying to/from Thailand (Covid Era)

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Covid test at Suvarnabhumi

Post by migrant »

Mods, not sure if you want this here or on the road.

I will be traveling to the US end of January. Being a planner, I'm looking early. The US now requires a RT PCR test one day before travel. I read there is now a covid testing facility at the airport that will give you results in 90 minutes. This being Thailand I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with it.

What hours do they open?
Is it available for outbound passengers?

I leave at 8:30 am so if I do at the airport it would be 0-dark-early.

I know I can do it here in Hua Hin the day before, but like to see my options.

Thanks!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Re: Covid test at Suvarnabhumi

Post by PeteC »

If you're lucky this Omicron will prove to be a tempest in a tea cup by then and they'll be back to ATK's. I personally think this variant has been way overblown to date. Fingers crossed.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Covid test at Suvarnabhumi

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:56 pm If you're lucky this Omicron will prove to be a tempest in a tea cup by then and they'll be back to ATK's. I personally think this variant has been way overblown to date. Fingers crossed.
I agree, I think it will be toned down by when I leave, but like to plan ahead!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Flying to/from Thailand, latest updates

Post by usual suspect »

So...I finally made it back yesterday!
Here's a quick summary of my time coming thru' Swampy...

* Our Emirates flight was the ONLY plane that was docked airside at midday.
* There were 10 'Covid desks' set out before immigration and lots of chairs lined up for folk to sit & wait.. (the area was chilled temperature-wise). AT THIS POINT MAY I SAY I WAS ONE OF THE LAST PASSENGERS OFF THE PLANE.
* Took half an hour to 45 mins to get passed the check area...Mainly manned by young girls that were NOT very
efficient at all.. To much dithering going on.
* Immigration desks all manned, and a guy there guiding you to the shortest wait. (The fella who proccessed my visa was very friendly, but also very astute.. took me 10-15 mins to get past him OK).
* Only 1 baggage carosel running.. My bag was easy to spot...it was the ONLY bag on the whole belt! (The great baggage hall was almost void of any folk whatsoever!).
* Came out past customs to be faced with a barrage of pin-boards displaying a4 size prints of every hotel catering for tourists needing the AQ...Without my glasses on I could not read any of them..people, trolleys, confusion!
Thankfully a guy there milling around to help. (15 min wait for my taxi).
Now what you have just read above was for the passengers of just 1 plane (a 777) IF there had been say 2 A380's landed at roughly the same time as our 777, then from what I expirienced folk would have been waiting hours!
My thoughts were the airport staff were not geared up for any big number of arrivals, to much faffing about & to much pomp & ceremony... This was the 1st time I had to keep/produce my boarding pass from the flight for inspection both at covid desks AND immigration (After boarding this snip of paper usually gets stuffed in the seat-pouch or disgarded) All my paperwork was examined twice..why ffs..?
OK there you have it...IF you are coming in to Swampy, be thankful you're not booked on the airport bus within an hour or so of landing... Cos you'd miss it!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If you read my report of just over a month ago, my experience was significantly better than the one of US - ok, it was a bit chaotic, but it was organised chaos and I was out of the airport and looking for my booked hotel within 30 minutes of landing. I don’t recall whether there were any other flights landing at the same time but even if it was a single flight, the processing was quick.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

usual suspect wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:13 am IF you are coming in to Swampy, be thankful you're not booked on the airport bus within an hour or so of landing... Cos you'd miss it!
You wouldn't would you ? seeing nowadays you have to stay one night in a sha + hotel in Bangkok awaiting your test results
But thanks for informing about your experience all the same :cheers:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

suddenly out of the blue my Son tells me he may visit me soon

ive not been following this story as had no need to, but now have

im so confused by ever changing info and out of date videos, chat and web info

what is the best website for the *very latest* info on entry/exit requirements from UK?

TIA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote:suddenly out of the blue my Son tells me he may visit me soon

ive not been following this story as had no need to, but now have

im so confused by ever changing info and out of date videos, chat and web info

what is the best website for the *very latest* info on entry/exit requirements from UK?

TIA
I would have thought the first place for your son to start would be the Thai Embassy website in London

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Thanks Dannie

Ambiguity drives me insane!! In any country actually, but in Thailand its a national disease. They can't say anything clearly even in their own language. It's always questionable

First thing it says on there..... "travellers.... must prove they have had the full dose of vaccine"

Er so, what is "the FULL dose"? Is it 2 or 3? Or even 1 in some cases. Highly debatable to say the least. Because someone could easily argue that eg 2 pfizers is now not "full" and you now need 3. What defines "full"

Why not be clear and put e.g. "at least 2 doses? Or 1 J&J etc

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:33 pm Thanks Dannie

Ambiguity drives me insane!! In any country actually, but in Thailand its a national disease. They can't say anything clearly even in their own language. It's always questionable

First thing it says on there..... "travellers.... must prove they have had the full dose of vaccine"

Er so, what is "the FULL dose"? Is it 2 or 3? Or even 1 in some cases. Highly debatable to say the least. Because someone could easily argue that eg 2 pfizers is now not "full" and you now need 3. What defines "full"

I’m certain that for this purpose, “full” is the first two doses of an approved vaccine - the third dose is commonly referred to as a “booster”.

I’m sure your son will be a lot more tech savvy with these things than us old boys, so get him to navigate the site and see if he comes up with any “what does this mean” - lots of people have successfully completed the application process so hopefully he’ll do likewise!!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm going through things for my return right now.
You son will need a Thailand Pass. Others will be able to give you the link as I didn't do it myself - travel agent in HH did.

I actually got the approval this morning. It took my agents 4 days from their getting my docs.

Your son will have to fill in the form and upload proof of vacs (I've only had two), proof of health and covid insurance coverage and proof of a one night stay in a SHA approved hotel on arrival whilst waiting for a PCR result. I had all that sorted out before I left HH so can't advise where to get stuff from if outside Thailand but plenty of people have been successful.

He'll also need the negative fit to fly PCR test 72 hours before departure.

Allow 7-10 days to get the Pass.

Hope that helps. Others should be able to fill in any blanks.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:33 pm Thanks Dannie

I’m certain that for this purpose, “full” is the first two doses of an approved vaccine - the third dose is commonly referred to as a “booster”.

I’m sure your son will be a lot more tech savvy with these things than us old boys, so get him to navigate the site and see if he comes up with any “what does this mean” - lots of people have successfully completed the application process so hopefully he’ll do likewise!!
Yes that's fair comment

I'm just referring to an example of my many pet hates! Image

Most would just ignore it and ask for the certificate. It a fault of mine I know

Thanks for the tips from all

joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Latest news about Test & Go scheme
Attachments
received_1047915649114993.jpeg
received_1047915649114993.jpeg (97.26 KiB) Viewed 220 times
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

So, 'Test and Go' has officially gone, at least for now.

Got to be honest, where I live has seen several 'returnees' arrive over the last few weeks. That will be the end of that then!

https://www.thaienquirer.com/36025/thai ... uarantine/

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ox-entries
Talk is cheap