Amazing Nature

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Amazing Nature

Post by hhfarang »

Did you sit in a hide for hours to get the shots, or were the animals just posers? I particularly liked the little mule deer - such a cutie...
VS, I have thousands of photos that were made on multiple 2 and 3 week camping trips over about a seven year period mostly in the Pacific northwest of the U.S. For some shots I did hide in the bushes watching or creeping closer to an animal for an entire day; for others, I was just lucky and happened upon them while hiking in the woods. That was the case with the deer. I was walking quietly down a trail and heard a rustle. I looked over and was startled to see a deer so near to me and it was frozen (thinking I didn't see it) staring right back at me. I always had three Minolta SLR cameras hanging around my neck with different focal length lenses on them so that I was ready for whatever popped up.
Great photos HHF. I loved the look of the 'Tetons', all that snow on high mountains.
I lived in Rapid City a while, so am familiar with Mt Rushmore and the area, lots to see and do.
Keep up the great posts, thanks.
Thanks Traveler2, besides the Rushmore shot, the antelope and some of the bison shots were made near there in Custer state park and the surrounding Black Hills area.
once you leave the concrete
That's the trick Richard. Most tourists go to New York, L.A., San Francisco, or Miami, and while those cities do have a lot to offer, the real America is on the back roads, in the forests, and in the small towns. As you can see, several of those photos were made in Yellowstone National Park and even that has been overrun by people so much now that you have to visit while school is in session to enjoy it. In summer there are traffic jams within the park. :(
Last edited by hhfarang on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:
Nereus wrote:WTF. Just tried (twice) to load a single 35Kb picture and got the following message:

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
I've just tried a test file, and everything is working fine for me. Is it still happening to you, or was it a short term glitch?
Don`t know, Big Boy, but nothing would surprise me with is piece of junk I am using. :cuss:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Nereus wrote:
Big Boy wrote:
Nereus wrote:WTF. Just tried (twice) to load a single 35Kb picture and got the following message:

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
I've just tried a test file, and everything is working fine for me. Is it still happening to you, or was it a short term glitch?
Don`t know, Big Boy, but nothing would surprise me with is piece of junk I am using. :cuss:
Just tried it again with the same result. Can somebody else try and load a photo, rather that a test file? Thanks.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Worked for me. Just loaded a photo on this thread and previewed it. No warnings and it was there. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Testing again. Pete :cheers:
nt.jpg
nt.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 6243 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Excuse me, just curious! :shock:
excuse me.jpg
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote:Just tried it again with the same result. Can somebody else try and load a photo, rather that a test file? Thanks.
My test file was a photo. However, I've just replicated the problem on the Caption Competition thread. I've taken an image, but of course, can't post it. I'll be reporting it to the Technical Team.

:offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

A visitor in my garden this morning. We see these a lot but this one was particularly not camera shy. At one point he appeared to be trying to wave to the camera... :D
Lizard1 (Medium).jpg
Lizard2 (Medium).jpg
Lizard3 (Medium).jpg
Lizard4 (Medium).jpg
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

The U.S. is truly a beautiful place if you have time to explore it.
Gotta echo that one....

my favorite trip was picking up a bike in Vegas, then doing a modified version of a trip that was called the Grand Circle back in the 30s.....

Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, through the desert and Green River to Moab, Canyonlands, Arches National Park, down to Navajo Land and Monument Valley, a quick detour to the Hopi reservation lands, then out to the Grand Canyon...and from there back through the desert to Vegas again. Some of the most stunningly beautiful scenery and best riding ever...and some great salt of the earth small towns and people along the way.

Unfortunately this was pre-digital camera ownership for me and my rotten ex missus has all the photos.

Joshua Tree National Park was also beautiful in a very stark desert way.

Vegas is trippy, Palm Springs has a bit of 50s charm left over, Frisco is way cool, and LA sucks ass big time.

My favorite small town tho was Mexican Hat on the edge of Monument Valley.....it had a "population" sign that read something like 66 with one six crossed out in marker pen and a 5 written below it with the addition of "I moved" written underneath.

Happy travels.....but I do miss the photos now.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

One thing I'd love to see is the Aurora Borealis - seems quite a few more are getting to see this phenomenon across the north of England than usual due to some unusual solar activity.
NL1.JPG
NL2.JPG
NL3.JPG
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

my favorite trip was picking up a bike in Vegas, then doing a modified version of a trip that was called the Grand Circle back in the 30s.....

Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, through the desert and Green River to Moab, Canyonlands, Arches National Park, down to Navajo Land and Monument Valley, a quick detour to the Hopi reservation lands, then out to the Grand Canyon...and from there back through the desert to Vegas again. Some of the most stunningly beautiful scenery and best riding ever...and some great salt of the earth small towns and people along the way.

Unfortunately this was pre-digital camera ownership for me and my rotten ex missus has all the photos.

Joshua Tree National Park was also beautiful in a very stark desert way.

Vegas is trippy, Palm Springs has a bit of 50s charm left over, Frisco is way cool, and LA sucks ass big time.

My favorite small town tho was Mexican Hat on the edge of Monument Valley.....it had a "population" sign that read something like 66 with one six crossed out in marker pen and a 5 written below it with the addition of "I moved" written underneath.
I took my missus on pretty much that same trip on one of our vacations from when we lived in California Sandman. We also included a tour of Hoover Dam, a visit to a real western ghost town, and a trip through the painted desert and petrified forest.

When we talk about our time in the U.S. this was one of her two most memorable vacations.... the other was Niagra Falls....
P6280088 (Medium).JPG
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote:One thing I'd love to see is the Aurora Borealis - seems quite a few more are getting to see this phenomenon across the north of England than usual due to some unusual solar activity.
I saw it once when working in Cleveland. I'd been called in to work at about 2am to get some vital piece of equipment to somewhere else in the world. I can't remember what it was, but I had to call in a crew of about 8 to help. We were all working outside on an empty car park loading a vehicle, and it was all quite surreal. We were all aware that something was going on above us, but none of us knew what it was. We just got the job done, and returned to our beds. It was only when we read the news the next day, that we realised what we had been experiencing.

Amazing.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^^I'm going to visit friends in Scotland later this year and whilst I realise we're still somewhat too far south, I'm told it's still pretty good viewing....... as long as we're away from the city lights!

If that doesn't work out, then we'll be visiting friends in Reykjavik in the next couple of years - as long as they pay for the bloody beer at those prices!!

Seeing the Northern Lights whilst working away and on expenses wouldn't go amiss mind you!!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I've lived in Maine, in the far north east of the US and the Northern Lights are spectacular!!

We had to pass on Thailand this year so instead took a road trip that was great, also allowed Mrs M to see a lot of the area she had never been to

So California - Las Vegas - Gran Canyon - New Orleans - Around Louisiana - San Antonio Texas - El Paso New Mexico.

4,500 miles in 14 days, I drove 4,300, Mrs M 200!!

Some beautiful sights along the way, Louisiana is amazing (as is their food!!)

I'll look through the photos to see if any worth showing, but Sandman's post reminded me!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

migrant wrote:I've lived in Maine, in the far north east of the US and the Northern Lights are spectacular!!

We had to pass on Thailand this year so instead took a road trip that was great, also allowed Mrs M to see a lot of the area she had never been to

So California - Las Vegas - Gran Canyon - New Orleans - Around Louisiana - San Antonio Texas - El Paso New Mexico.

4,500 miles in 14 days, I drove 4,300, Mrs M 200!!

Some beautiful sights along the way, Louisiana is amazing (as is their food!!)

I'll look through the photos to see if any worth showing, but Sandman's post reminded me!
Now that's the kind of trip I'd love to do..... Seriously Migrant, PM me with details of your trip, where to stay etc.... If ever the US give the Long Haired General a visa (because of course she is a terrorist threat), then we shall make the visit!!

:cheers: :cheers: