New retirement visa rule - show 800k every 3 months

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: New retirement visa rule - show 800k every 3 months

Post by HHTel »

PET wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:59 pm I shall go the marriage route and show 40,000 income per month from early 2020 -am off to do 90 day 2moro - if I need an initial 2 month balance so be it. Thereafter relative plain sailing as I shall transfer from our Thai bank joint account 40,000 per month
Not sure if you've done the marriage route before but the procedure is a pain in the *rs*. I went that route some years ago and it can take 2 or 3 months for initial approval as it can only be approved in BKK. Required photos, visits to the house, chat with the neighbours.....
We left for a holiday in Malaysia and forgot (my own fault) to get a re-entry permit which cancelled the visa on return. That's when I switched to the retirement visa which is much easier as I didn't fancy jumping through all those hoops again.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

T.O.M. wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 am ^^
Finally something direct from the horse's mouth.
Most importantly....If going the income route...no matter if the extension is based on marriage or retirement...the funds have to come from overseas.
Go back 2 or 3 pages, the horse spoke long before this.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

RCer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 pm Amazing how something so simple can garner so many posts.
Amazing how something that should be so simple is really complicated. Especially if you don't want to donate 800K to the Thai economy.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

HHTel wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:30 pm
PET wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:59 pm I shall go the marriage route and show 40,000 income per month from early 2020 -am off to do 90 day 2moro - if I need an initial 2 month balance so be it. Thereafter relative plain sailing as I shall transfer from our Thai bank joint account 40,000 per month
Not sure if you've done the marriage route before but the procedure is a pain in the *rs*. I went that route some years ago and it can take 2 or 3 months for initial approval as it can only be approved in BKK. Required photos, visits to the house, chat with the neighbours.....
We left for a holiday in Malaysia and forgot (my own fault) to get a re-entry permit which cancelled the visa on return. That's when I switched to the retirement visa which is much easier as I didn't fancy jumping through all those hoops again.
Times have changed - I have spoken to a number of people who go this route , It is nothing like what you say - one friend said that when he first applied he had to sign 60 documents but now pretty smooth so long as you know what IMM require.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

RCer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:43 pm
T.O.M. wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 am ^^
Finally something direct from the horse's mouth.
Most importantly....If going the income route...no matter if the extension is based on marriage or retirement...the funds have to come from overseas.
Go back 2 or 3 pages, the horse spoke long before this.
Any official written proof ? ? ?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

PET wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:56 am OK I went to Immigration today for 90 day- nice new place and in/out 10mins
As promised I asked my question about the marriage visa, firstly was there any change from 1st March and was told NO. It was either 400,000 in a Thai Bank a/c in your name seasoned for 2 months or pay 40,000 monthly with new funds from overseas.I particularly asked if these 40,000 monthly payments could come from my funds already in Thailand and was told NO -'' use them for the 400,000'' So have to bring new funds into Thailand. Of course if FX rates improve could send out of Thailand and bring back later. The 400,000 or any other minimum amount, does not need to stay in your account after the extension is approved.
With the Retirement extension the 800,000 needs to be seasoned for 2 months before and continue for 3 months after. I did not ask about the minimum of 400,000 thereafter, because I forgot as I am not intending to use the retirement extension next year
If I understand you correctly it's 400,000 for 2 months OR 40,000 a month.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:50 am
PET wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:56 am OK I went to Immigration today for 90 day- nice new place and in/out 10mins
As promised I asked my question about the marriage visa, firstly was there any change from 1st March and was told NO. It was either 400,000 in a Thai Bank a/c in your name seasoned for 2 months or pay 40,000 monthly with new funds from overseas.I particularly asked if these 40,000 monthly payments could come from my funds already in Thailand and was told NO -'' use them for the 400,000'' So have to bring new funds into Thailand. Of course if FX rates improve could send out of Thailand and bring back later. The 400,000 or any other minimum amount, does not need to stay in your account after the extension is approved.
With the Retirement extension the 800,000 needs to be seasoned for 2 months before and continue for 3 months after. I did not ask about the minimum of 400,000 thereafter, because I forgot as I am not intending to use the retirement extension next year
If I understand you correctly it's 400,000 for 2 months OR 40,000 a month.
YES that is what she told me and wrote down
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

sorry if I don't understand very well, or if it has been said already,
but would that mean you have to show a bank letter at the yearly renewal and go back with another letter from the bank specifying the money has still been untouched 3 months later ? which I suppose would be when you do your first 90 days report after the yearly ??
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:07 am sorry if I don't understand very well, or if it has been said already,
but would that mean you have to show a bank letter at the yearly renewal and go back with another letter from the bank specifying the money has still been untouched 3 months later ? which I suppose would be when you do your first 90 days report after the yearly ??
I think the problem Joelle is that these are new rules yet to be implemented, so although what you have suggested sounds reasonable, we’ll have to wait until further clarification is available - this could be 3 months after the new rules are implemented when the first guinea pig tries it?
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:45 am
joelle wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:07 am sorry if I don't understand very well, or if it has been said already,
I think the problem Joelle is that these are new rules yet to be implemented, so although what you have suggested sounds reasonable, we’ll have to wait until further clarification is available - this could be 3 months after the new rules are implemented when the first guinea pig tries it?
Fair enough, we'll just wait and see ! And May be after the new elections it Might change again !
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I would think that the check for the 'untouched' 3 month funds will be done when you come to renew your extension.
With previous Extensions the check as to bank balances has always been done when IMM can see the past 12 month history, and I can see no reason why they would change this. - despite what the the board pessimists may say!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Exactly! As I've said:

"To qualify for your extension renewal it's always been based upon the last 12 months. Monthly income as well as seasoning money in the bank. Why would it be any different??" to repeat myself.

You've never had to show up 3 months before your application to show you have put funds in the bank. Of course it'll be checked as part of the application. How else can they do it? They're not going to revoke an already agreed extension part way through the year!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pet, ignore the Harry Enfield 'Look at my Wad' impersonators. They are loving every minute of this, and any response simply feeds them.

I've only been here 7 years, but long enough to know Immigration aren't trying to trip genuine people up. If you were genuine before, you will almost certainly be fine under the revised rules. The only ones who need worry are the ones who have been cheating the system. Just bide your time - it will become clearer as the year goes on.

As a moderator, I am obliged to read all of the 'tosh' that is being written. If I believed half of what the 'Look at my Wad' impersonators were writing, I'd have worried myself into an early grave already.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:33 am Pet, ignore the Harry Enfield 'Look at my Wad' impersonators. They are loving every minute of this, and any response simply feeds them.

I've only been here 7 years, but long enough to know Immigration aren't trying to trip genuine people up. If you were genuine before, you will almost certainly be fine under the revised rules. The only ones who need worry are the ones who have been cheating the system. Just bide your time - it will become clearer as the year goes on.

As a moderator, I am obliged to read all of the 'tosh' that is being written. If I believed half of what the 'Look at my Wad' impersonators were writing, I'd have worried myself into an early grave already.
Thank you BB - I feel better now and will wait this one out
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I first came to Thailand in 2006. The rule for retirement visa was 800k in the bank for 3 months or 65k monthly income.

The only changes I see now is certain embassies are no longer certifying income, now the bank needs to do it (in my opinion that's who should have been doing it all along) and this new rule about the 3 months after extension thing.

Still far simpler than getting and renewing a marriage visa.