2020 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: 2020 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 am Right, we need to find a pub right on the border and play cribbage to the death...
Never in my life have I been able to play Cribbage - my (Yorkshire) Grandfather did make me an expert in betting on "Nap" though...... "To The Death" - let's at least get Wales vs England out of the way!! :thumb:

Although finding a pub these days sounds good!!

I'm guessing though we'll have to :offtopic:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Various scenarios on how the season could play out, or be cancelled entirely?

Coronavirus and F1: Delayed start or no season at all? What happens next in Formula 1?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51977724
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Sir Stirling Moss: Motor racing legend dies aged 90 after long illness

British motor racing legend Sir Stirling Moss has died at the age of 90 following a long illness.

He is widely regarded as one of the greatest Formula 1 drivers of all time, even though he did not win the World Championship.

Moss retired from public life in January 2018 because of ongoing health problems.

He spent 134 days in hospital after suffering a chest infection while on holiday in Singapore in December 2016.

Moss won 16 of the 66 F1 races he competed in from 1951 to 1961.

He became the first British driver to win a home grand prix in 1955 at Aintree.

Moss famously lost out on the F1 title in 1958 to compatriot Mike Hawthorn after vouching for his rival and preventing him being disqualified when he was accused of reversing on track in the late-season Portuguese Grand Prix.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52261216
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Former F1 owner Bernie Ecclestone expecting fourth child at age 89

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... 0282816e68

Former F1 owner and billionaire Bernie Ecclestone is unbelievably set to become a dad again — and some of his family aren’t happy.

Former F1 owner Bernie Ecclestone is set to become a father for the fourth time with news his wife is set to give birth to his first son.

The 89-year-old billionaire will turn 90 soon after his son’s birth.

Currently in Brazil self isolating on his farm north of Sao Paulo, Ecclestone confirmed the news to German newspaper Blick.

“Yes, it is due in the summer,” he confirmed. “Hopefully he’ll learn to play backgammon soon.”

Ecclestone’s eldest daughter Deborah is 65 and was born to his first wife Ivy Bamford, while his other two daughters Tamara (35) and Petra (31) were born to his second wife Slavica Radic.

His current wife Fabiana is currently 43 and said the pair have a simple hope for the child.
“Like all parents we have only one wish: the child must be born healthy,” she said. “Hopefully he will never express any interest in doing something in Formula 1.”

Ecclestone then had to make it weird, adding: “After my Formula 1 time, we’ve had plenty of time to practice.
“I just want everything to be good with Fabiana even if the isolation goes on longer.
“Fortunately the farm never runs out of work. Fabiana also looks after her own coffee plantation.”

While the rest of the children hadn’t broken their silence on the baby news, Tamara was vocal regarding the wedding and why she and her sister avoided the nuptials.

“I was quite surprised. He’s usually such a rational person and this seems like such an irrational thing to do,” she said at the time.

“My first thought was for my mum. She wouldn’t have known and she hasn’t dated since the divorce.
“If I was my dad I would have thought, ‘OK, been there, done it, got the T-shirt. I’ve met someone, I’ll just live with them’.”

Last year, Tamara made headlines when she was robbed of $97 million in jewellery during the Christmas holidays.

Ecclestone, the former F1 boss, also said there was little hope of the F1 continuing this season amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“Today what would I do? I think I’d have to say we’re going to close down talk of having any races this year,” he said. “That’s the only thing you could do safely for everybody so nobody starts making silly arrangements which may not be able to happen.”

Asked whether that meant effectively wiping out the season and saying there would not be any races and focus on 2021, he agreed.
“Which is what they had to do for the Olympics of course. It’s unfortunate but that’s how it is,” added Ecclestone.

F1 has said it hopes to run a reduced season of 15-18 races, starting sometime in the summer, but Ecclestone – who drew up the calendar for decades until he was ousted in 2017 – was pessimistic about the chances of that happening.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:01 pm
True Legend - respected by all and deservedly so. Sorry, but couldn't give an arse about Bernie's latest news..... Can't compare!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/formula1/52261483
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Silverstone Confirms Plan to Host Two Consecutive F1 Grands Prix

"The organisers of the British Grand Prix have confirmed they would host two consecutive races at Silverstone this season if required and are currently discussing the proposal with Formula One Group. Stuart Pringle, the circuit’s managing director, said planning and preliminary preparations have begun towards becoming the first track to host two world championship grands prix in succession.

“We have discussed all sorts of permutations including hosting two races over one weekend and two races over consecutive weekends,” Pringle said. “I have complete confidence in our ability to put on these events. We have a lot of experience, a lot of knowledge, we can turn that on definitely.”

With racing having been suspended because of the coronavirus outbreak, F1 Group – a subsidiary of Liberty Media – is considering every option, including holding a double-header at the same track, potentially with two races over the weekend of the British Grand Prix, which is scheduled to take place on 19 July. The event at Silverstone, which hosted the first F1 grand prix in 1950, would almost certainly be behind closed doors, and F1 Group’s intent is to put on as full a championship as possible. Its target is to stage up to 19 races."

How in God's name they can organise 2 races over one weekend, I don't know - qualifying can't be included surely? Is qualifying on the Thursday/Friday? How is qualifying for the two races separated?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... rands-prix

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Taken from: - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... oronavirus

F1 on Track for July Resumption After Drivers' Association Backs Safety Plan

Alex Wurz calls measures to deal with coronavirus ‘immaculate’
‘F1 can be pioneer’ for other sports to follow, says GPDA chief

"The Grand Prix Drivers’ Association is confident the precautions being taken by Formula One mean the sport stands every chance of resuming as planned in Austria on 5 July.

Alex Wurz, chairman of the GPDA, will reassure his members that Formula One has put the safety of everyone involved at the forefront of its plans to return to racing after attending a meeting with F1 and the FIA on Friday."

We'll see.

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Sebastian Vettel to leave Ferrari at end of season

Sebastian Vettel is to leave Ferrari at the end of the year after contract talks between the two broke down with no agreement.

The move, which is expected to be officially announced imminently, throws the future of the 32-year-old four-time world champion into doubt.

Spaniard Carlos Sainz, currently a McLaren driver, is among those who have been linked to Vettel's seat.

If Sainz leaves McLaren, one option for the team is Renault's Daniel Ricciardo.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52612216
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Formula 1: British Grand Prix Under Threat Over Money

The British Grand Prix is under threat this year because of a financial stand-off between Formula 1 and Silverstone.

F1 believes Silverstone is making unreasonable demands to host races on consecutive weekends on 19 and 26 July.

High-level sources say Silverstone initially asked for £15m to host the races - the same amount it pays as its race fee, which F1 is waiving.

F1 has offered to pay enough money to ensure Silverstone is not out of pocket.

Hockenheim in Germany is said to be the leading contender to replace Silverstone if an agreement cannot be struck, with Imola in Italy an outside contender.

Full Story: - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52612210
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Formula 1: Ferrari to sign Carlos Sainz as Daniel Ricciardo set for McLaren

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52627900
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Rare footage unearthed of first F1 World Championship race

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/formula1/52641917
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Certainly have my doubts it/they will take place, personally can't see it being feasible with the situation in the UK and all travel restrictions..... :(

As has been mention on this and other threads, it would be great to see the return of "live" sport, but not to the detriment/risk to health of ALL involved. The "money-makers" need to take a long hard look at themselves and the reasons to what they are doing.

Full Story: - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52677294

Formula 1: Deal Reached to Hold British GP But Quarantine Questions Remain

"Formula 1 and Silverstone have agreed a deal for two grands prix to be held at the track this season.

Owners the British Racing Drivers' Club and F1 had been far apart in their assessments of an appropriate fee for the track to host the events.

But a compromise agreement has now been reached after negotiations this week.

However, a new threat to the races has emerged in the UK government's plans to impose a two-week quarantine for all international arrivals.

Silverstone managing director Stuart Pringle told BBC Sport: "I am delighted to confirm that Silverstone and Formula 1 have reached an agreement in principle to host two races behind closed doors this summer.

"However these races will be subject to government approval, as our priority is the safety of all involved and strict compliance with Covid-19 regulations.

"I would like to thank all our fans who have been so supportive throughout this and to assure them we are determined to do all we can to help Formula 1 put on a show this summer."

An F1 spokesman said: "We are continuing to have conversations with Silverstone and other promoters regarding a revised 2020 calendar.""
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:37 am Rare footage unearthed of first F1 World Championship race

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/formula1/52641917
Saw this earlier - quite something! Let alone experiencing a GP from that age, I would loved to had a good look at some of the cars in the queue to Silverstone - just don't think I could have walked the 30 miles!!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, all pretty much guesswork for me..... a lowly 4/10 :oops:

Just a bit of fun....... :thumb:

Sebastian Vettel: How much do you know about his time at Ferrari?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52639671

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Fernando Alonso 'Ready' for Formula 1 Return

Fernando Alonso is "ready" to return to Formula 1 in 2021, according to his main adviser, Flavio Briatore.

"BBC Sport understands Spain's two-time world champion, 38, has had talks with Renault about a possible comeback, but the team has not made a final decision.

Briatore said: "Fernando is motivated. A year out of Formula 1 has done him good. He has detoxed himself and I see him more serene and ready to return."

Alonso left F1 at the end of 2018 and plans to race at the Indianapolis 500.

Renault is the only realistic chance of even a relatively competitive seat if he chooses to come back to F1.

Last week, it was announced that Germany's Sebastian Vettel was leaving Ferrari at the end of this season, to be replaced by Alonso's compatriot Carlos Sainz."