TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: TV mini-series/HBO

Post by sateeb »

Sorry guys...don't know how to post You Tube content here from The Trailer Park Boys

Just search Jim Lahey Best ever drunk scenes..........

Bubbles and Conkey also classic stuff
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Have just finished watching (well Series 3) Breaking Bad - absolutely superb IMHO, thoroughly enjoyed it. A ''definite keeper'' as SM would say :cheers: :cheers:

Next up Game of Thrones which I must admit I'm looking forward to.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

pharvey wrote:Have just finished watching (well Series 3) Breaking Bad - absolutely superb IMHO, thoroughly enjoyed it. A ''definite keeper'' as SM would say :cheers: :cheers:
Broadcast of season 4 started 6 weeks ago. It's as good as the first 3. The network announced there will be a fifth and final season.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Homer wrote:
pharvey wrote:Have just finished watching (well Series 3) Breaking Bad - absolutely superb IMHO, thoroughly enjoyed it. A ''definite keeper'' as SM would say :cheers: :cheers:
Broadcast of season 4 started 6 weeks ago. It's as good as the first 3. The network announced there will be a fifth and final season.
Always hate that ''Final'' bit to a great series, but it certainly can't go on forever and I'd rather remember it as a classic rather than a has been.

Still, great to hear I have another 2 series (sorry... seasons) to go!! :cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Just watched the 1st episode of ''India on Four Wheels'' on BBC iPlayer (through a VPN), and really enjoyed it - certainly one I would recommend, and hope the following episodes live up to the first.

Basically, it is a tour around India with two different presenters, in two very different cars, taking two very different routes. One following the trials, tribulations and poverty of probably the fastest growing nation on Earth, the other following the ''Champagne Route''. Both starting in the north and heading south, one on an eastern route, the other on the western route...... hopefully meeting at the end of the series!

Chaos on the roads, farmland destroyed for the new infrastructure, the life of the rich to the poor..... and I mean poor - the first episode certainly showed a great deal (if not the complete picture).

One of the better BBC documentaries of late.

:cheers: :cheers:
Dahling

Post by Dahling »

If you fancy something a tad different, try I AM NOT AN ANIMAL, a short animated BBC series I found on VeeHD.
Can't post a link for some reason.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dahling wrote:If you fancy something a tad different, try I AM NOT AN ANIMAL, a short animated BBC series I found on VeeHD.
Can't post a link for some reason.
When you get to 10 posts, you'll be able to post links. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dahling

Post by Dahling »

And that gives me the perfect excuse.... thanks, pcrsst!

http://veehd.com/video/4498730_I-Am-Not ... ling-nYx64
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote:Just watched the 1st episode of ''India on Four Wheels'' on BBC iPlayer (through a VPN), and really enjoyed it - certainly one I would recommend, and hope the following episodes live up to the first.

Basically, it is a tour around India with two different presenters, in two very different cars, taking two very different routes. One following the trials, tribulations and poverty of probably the fastest growing nation on Earth, the other following the ''Champagne Route''. Both starting in the north and heading south, one on an eastern route, the other on the western route...... hopefully meeting at the end of the series!

Chaos on the roads, farmland destroyed for the new infrastructure, the life of the rich to the poor..... and I mean poor - the first episode certainly showed a great deal (if not the complete picture).

Which VPN?
:cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

early warning for fans of zombie flicks.... THE WALKING DEAD series 2 is coming out in October. Keep an eye on oneddl,com for downloadable files....the whole of series 1 is on there already.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

migrant wrote:
pharvey wrote:Just watched the 1st episode of ''India on Four Wheels'' on BBC iPlayer (through a VPN), and really enjoyed it - certainly one I would recommend, and hope the following episodes live up to the first.

Which VPN?
There's a shed load around, some free, some not. The one I use is www.my-private-network.co.uk/ and sets me back 5 GBP per month, but well worth it in my book being based in China..... where everything is fecking blocked :cuss: :banghead: :banghead:

I've tried several over the years, but this has been by far the most reliable - they offer UK and US based addresses.

migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

couple of heads ups

First up on History Channel there is RESTORATION KINGS..... the bloke who fixes up all the old stuff the PAWN STARS guys buys now has his own series...great to watch him and his team restore old Americana and turn rusty lumps of junk into stuff Id kill to own. Its a joy to watch a proper workman at his job, and amazing to see how he can seem to source parts and spares no matter how esoteric the item hes trying to restore. Even his kid is a dab hand at fixing stuff up.

Also over on HBO film channel they are now running GAME OF THRONES, albeit in its SPARTACUS style emasculated heavily edited version.....personally I prefer the uncensored download versions which are easy to find at sources such as oneddl.com.

sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

One I missed when it came out but downloaded recently after catching a trailer for it....its coming on True soonish

PILLARS OF THE EARTH

Drama mini series based on the Ken Follett novel of the same name, its all about the time of The Anarchy (1130s) in England when King Henry 1 died and the Church conspired to take over the monarchy, with the help of the usual cast of bad Churchmen and even worse Norman landgrabbng backstabbing Barons. The Church depose Queen Maud and her son, the rightful heir to the crown, and install Bad King Steven in her place. Meanwhile a bad bad bishop plots his rise, and uses a relatively naive Abbot as a pawn in his game of thrones. The Abbott looses his church in a fire, and Tom The Builder steps in to build the church he has been dreaming about building...the first of the new Gothic designed churches.

Great stuff with loads of plots intertwined, a stellar cast including Ian McShane as the bad bish, Rufus Sewell as Tom, and a supportng cast of A list risers. Even though its done on a budget its sutably muddy and manure splattered to look realistic, and it does hook you in from episode 1....

Easy to find at VeeHD and StageVu, highly recommended for fans of historical dramas.

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thanks for that, SM - great book, hopefully a good series.

Ian McShane has come on in leaps and bounds since he did Deadwood. He was an excellent Bluebeard in Pirates 4, which I saw recently.
On the subject of Pirates of the Caribbean, Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow is a cinematic acting masterclass; the whole eccentric character is brilliantly put together. A great creation. Hollywood making up for Dick van Dyke at last. Add a dollop of McShane and sprinkle Geoffrey Rush generously on top and you have a very entertaining extravaganza.

Another actor I like is Adrien Brody. When you're skinny and have a nose like his, you have to be bloody good to make it as a leading man! I recommend The Experiment, a chilling reflection on human nature and psychological experimentation.
This is the way