Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

The Android Thread

Post by HHCanuck »

zeitgeist wrote:I'm going to post this here but may be the wrong place but don't want to start a new thread...

I'm looking for a new phone which i can receive Outlook emails and notifications on. Is this easily done? If I receive an email onto my mobile is it a copy from Outlook or the 'actual' email and it then won't appear in my desktop computers Outlook inbox? To explain further, if I use my laptop to download emails they are in the Outlook inbox on my laptop and do not appear when I then go to use my desktop.
I have two programs on my Android phone for my work's Outlook e-mail. Touchdown and Divide. I like touchdown better but I can't get attachments to download. Divide downloads the attachments. Touchdown lets me preview the message subject and delete or open it from the Android notification window.
TomTom55

Samsung Galaxy S4

Post by TomTom55 »

Hi all, I am intending on buying one of these at the end of the month, no copies but the real deal. Would the best place to go for reliability and general decent service be Market village? Also if anybody could fill me in on the price of these at the moment, I have done some research quickly today and it says around 21k? I cannot really go there for a few days as I am busy out of town etc, so if somebody could help that would be great.

Tom
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4

Post by PBbeacher »

Got mine at bkk store 3rd floor market village on day of release was 21k. might find it a grand or 2 cheaper now.
Paul3456
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Paul3456 »

Definitely Market Village....best price I think I saw recently was 19,800.
TomTom55

Post by TomTom55 »

Cool thanks a lot both of you guys.

@PBbeacher what do you think of the handset, does it live up to expectations?
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

just so you know some speculation is stating the s5 will be out late jan, I have had the s4 from launch and am very happy with it and will get the s5 as it launches
TomTom55

Post by TomTom55 »

blue05 wrote:just so you know some speculation is stating the s5 will be out late jan, I have had the s4 from launch and am very happy with it and will get the s5 as it launches

yea I heard that too, but how much will it be, probably 25k+?
buksida

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by buksida »

Current market prices can be found here: http://www.siamphone.com/spec/samsung/galaxy_s4.htm

Any store in Hua Hin charging more than that is stinging you.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I am traveling in the North East at the mo and am looking to replace my battered iphone 3gs with possibly the Galaxy S4 mini and I thought it may be cheaper here than in HH but the price in all the stores I've looked is 13,900, the same as the website in Buksis link. Anyone got any comments on the S4 mini or an alternative ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

JW wrote:Bought a 520 Nokia Lumina - 5500k and it does everything that most people could want - also it windows so great for outlook. Only thing i had to download was a stopwatch app, top gear news and bbc sport!
Bought expensive ones before and they are a waste of money I think.
I'm thinking this would be the option for me, they look nice smallish phones and the outlook stuff is very important so would seem obvious to buy a windows phone. Same here regarding expensive phones, bought iphone4 when it was first released but never used any of its functions so can't really justify buying 20,000 bahts worth of telephone (is this an age thing? :laugh: )
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

zeitgeist wrote:
JW wrote:Bought a 520 Nokia Lumina - 5500k and it does everything that most people could want - also it windows so great for outlook. Only thing i had to download was a stopwatch app, top gear news and bbc sport!
Bought expensive ones before and they are a waste of money I think.
I'm thinking this would be the option for me, they look nice smallish phones and the outlook stuff is very important so would seem obvious to buy a windows phone. Same here regarding expensive phones, bought iphone4 when it was first released but never used any of its functions so can't really justify buying 20,000 bahts worth of telephone (is this an age thing? :laugh: )
There's also the new Nokia 1020 with probably the best phone camera ever made. About the same size as the 520, but around 25,000 Baht at present. :shock: Pete :cheers:

http://www.nokia.com/th-th/phones/phone ... dtmx8775ff
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Pagey wrote:Anyone got any comments on the S4 mini or an alternative ?
Bought one a few weeks ago. So far so good. It's my second smartphone, both are Android. Never considered apple or windows either time. Considered the S4 and a couple HTC phones. Went with Samsung because service and accessories for them are available everywhere.

The S4 Mini seemed on paper like a good compromise. Other less expensive Samsung phones have screens as large or larger, but with less resolution. They also have less power and, if I remember correctly, less battery life. It's doubtful that Samsung will update their mid range phones (or anything running an Android version prior to 4.2) to Android 4.4 (aka Kit Kat). No guarantee they'll do it for the S4 Mini, but it would keep with their history of OS updates for the minis.

Screen images are markedly better than my 2 year old smart phone and not as good as the S4. The mini is not true HD but I have no intention of watching movies on it so that doesn't matter.

S4 is too big to be used one handed. The mini can but I had to learn which end to hold depending on which one handed task I wanted to do. My last phone was small enough that simply holding it in my palm meant all buttons and screen real estate was within reach. I missed that for a few days, but the bigger screen is worth the learning curve or having to 2 hand it on occasion.

Most unexpected use: Swiftkey landscape mode 2 thumb keyboard. Last phone's screen meant 2 hands needed for typing, one to hold the phone, the other to type with one finger. Slowly, with many errors. The mini's bigger screen also means 2 hands for typing, but with both cradling the phone while 2 thumbs dance across the keyboard. Before I made cryptic notes. Now I can write.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thanks Homer.

Update : Yesterday I was looking in Central Plaza which had official Samsung outlets with the 'computer' style price tags at 13,900 and had the phone in black or white.

Today I went to an older mall which has lots of small phone shops/stalls akin to MV hoping they may be cheaper. I asked at 4 or 5 shops and all showed me the official Samsung brochure showing the price at 13,900 but none of them had it in stock. Problem at the factory one stall owner said.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

You're welcome. In Chiang Mai the S4 Mini was 13,800 at the small shops & stalls, and 13,900 elsewhere. October news reports said the mini will be introduced in the US during November. That could explain the supply issues.
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

There's a new range of Motorola phones out soon which are high spec and low priced.