News of the Weird - this just in!

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

prcscct wrote:
prcscct wrote:Normal news story but crazy: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2010/02 ... 121640.php

They have captured 10,000 pigeons and now nowhere to put them as other provinces don't want them.

Can I recommend a bit of gas as they use to get rid of tens of thousands of fowl at the slightest hint of bird flu.

So much time, energy, money, words, headaches, resources wasted on stupid things like this. :cuss: Pete :cheers:
It looks as if the pigeons have won the first battle. Stay tuned for more nail biting episodes in coming days. :roll:
Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... er-pigeons
Their fate now appears to be to donate their unborn offspring for human consumption. :shock: Pete :cheers:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2010/02 ... 121974.php
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

LONDON (Reuters) - An influx of cheap electronic goods from China and the Far East has prompted burglars to turn to other crimes such as robberies and muggings, according to research published on Wednesday.

Criminology lecturer James Treadwell from the University of Leicester in central England said the fall in the cost of traditional household goods had made burglars "redundant."

In the last decade, domestic burglaries have fallen by more than 50 percent according to the British Crime Survey, which estimates the number of offences based on interviews with the public.

The Labour government has heralded the fall as an example of a successful crackdown on the crime. But Treadwell said the decline also reflected a "career change" by criminals.

He explained that in the 1980s and 90s, criminals could make a profit by breaking into homes to steal video recorders. But cheap labour in China had changed all that.

"Gradually, the prices of such goods has fallen so low as to they almost have no resale value. If you can buy a DVD player for 19.99 pounds, it's simply not worth stealing," he said.

Instead of burglary, crooks were now looking to steal smaller but pricey items, such as mobile phones and ipods, which people carried about with them.

"It is these expensive, personal items, which are the most attractive to thieves today as they still retain value and can therefore be sold on, igniting a career change for criminals from the more traditional household burglaries to personal muggings," Treadwell said.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

A Russian farmer has been convicted of planting landmines around his field to ward off trespassers.

Alexander Skopintsev, from the eastern region of Primorye near China's border, laid the three devices on his land after building them in his garage.

The 73-year-old had apparently been concerned about the frequent theft of potatoes from his farm.

He was arrested after an intruder set off one of the tripwire-style mines in August and was injured in the blast.

Skopintsev was convicted for the unlawful construction and storage of weapons and received a two-and-a-half year suspended sentence.

"Skopintsev testified that he had prepared the explosive devices to protect his garden against thieves," regional prosecutors said in a statement reported by RIA-Novosti news agency.
(BBC)
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Fat rabbit Ralph is the world's bigget bunny after growing larger than his record breaking mother Amy.
Amy, a Continental Giant rabbit, was four feet long and weighed a whopping three stone before her death in May 2009.

But Ralph, one of Amys 32 babies and barely a year old, is already longer and heavier than his monstrous mum and weighs more than the average three-year-old child.
Owner Pauline Grant relies on handouts from neighbours to make sure Ralph does not go hungry by chomping his way through £10 pounds worth of food a day.
He munches his way through half a cabbage for breakfast and dinner as well as feasting on a handful of carrots and apples for lunch.

Mrs Grant claims he is too heavy for her to pick him up for cuddles and relies on helpers at the Sussex Horse Rescue Trust, Uckfield, East Sussex.
"He is just so big. You do not fully realise until you pick him up and he has quite the appetite," said Mrs Grant.

It really hits us in the pocket having to feed him but thankfully Ralph is so famous in the area people stop me in supermarkets and offer to fit the bill.
I have no idea how big he is going to get, it could be a ridiculous size but everyone loves him and he laps up the attention.

Ralph's dad Roberto is also a previous record holder for the worlds biggest rabbit after weighting in at 35lb and measuring 3ft 1inches.
Mrs Grant is waiting on Guinness World Records to confirm Ralph as the biggest in the world after they changed their rules on measuring animals for size.
(Telegraph)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Wait for it, soon we'll see headlines "rabbit eats child..." :shock: :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Theatre posters proclaiming "We await you, merry gnome" were taken down from a Russian town shortly before a visit by the country's diminutive President Dmitry Medvedev, a local website reported on Friday.

The advertisements were for a children's theatre show, but were removed from a street that the president's convoy was due to use on his visit to Omsk on February 12, the nr2.ru website reports, citing local sources.

Russian media say Medvedev is 1.62 m (5 ft 4 in) tall.

The poster depicted a child fairy but was one of a number of sudden renovation projects that took place ahead of the Medvedev's visit, it reported, quoting bloggers and journalists.

The authorities recommended that fresh snow should be sprinkled over older dirty snow as part of the facelift, it said.

(Reporting by Conor Sweeney)
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

We had a Flemish Giant rabbit when I was a kid, it took more feeding that us kids.

The damn thing was huge and had a propensity for eating shoelaces if you stayed still long enough for him to get a mouthful. :shock:

Plus, it was as mad as a hatter and would attack any dog that was stupid enough to get near it. It would even steal a dogs bone. Image
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

A County Durham man caught walking his lurcher through the window of his moving car has lost his licence.

Paul Railton, 23, of Annfield Plain, admitted breaching two counts of the Road Traffic Act, at Consett Magistrates Court on Monday.

Police caught Railton driving his car with the dog lead attached through the window, after being alerted in Stoney Heap Lane by a cyclist.

Magistrates fined Railton a total of £124 and gave him three penalty points.

Railton was disqualified from driving for six months as he already had nine points on his licence, three for speeding and six for an insurance offence.

Under the totting up procedure, he had 12 points and had to be disqualified.

In mitigation, his solicitor, Paul Donoghue, said: "He accepts it was a silly thing to do, borne out with an element of laziness."

He said Railton was driving slowly and that Stoney Heap Lane was a very quiet back-road.
(BBC)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A Vallejo teenager allegedly shot himself in the testicles Thursday afternoon, police said.

Police said the 17-year-old, whose name is being withheld because he's a minor, walked into Kaiser Permanente Vallejo Medical Center at about 5:45 p.m. with a gunshot wound.

The gun is still outstanding, police said, and the teen has not been cooperative.

PS: Sex change on the cheap? :shock:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

news

Post by redzonerocker »

this one is not exactly weird but surely pc politics gone completely off the richter scale :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage ... ticle.html

apparently the headmaster of this school also banned valentines day cards because he thought kids that didn't get one would struggle to deal with the rejection :shock: :shock: :shock:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

There a funny lot in Bristol Eh BB? :wink:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: News of the Weird - this just in!

Post by STEVE G »

Street signs warning Romanian drivers to be careful of drunken pedestrians lying on roads were erected by road safety chiefs worried about the "despairing" levels of accidents.

Officials in Pecica, a village town about 13 miles from the Hungarian border in the country’s west, ordered the bright red signs, complete with the phrase “Attention - Drunks”.

The 10 road signs, which also show a person crawling on their knees while clutching a glass in one hand, were erected in popular nightspot areas close to the city's bars and restaurants.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rians.html
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Chickens kill fox. :cry:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Strang ... 3115566323

I bet he didn't expect that.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hands off:

Hands off our Yorkshire pudding: producers.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wo ... producers/

(The West Australian)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!