Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Re: Snakes in the garden

Post by Stargeezer »

HHF If I win a very big lottery, I may well come to your place and take it off of your willing hands. That is a very nice back yard that you have, snakes and all!! I have only seen a couple of snakes where my friend was staying at the south end of HH. In BKK during the floods I got to see a few water snakes but thankfully no cobras. It has been near -20c lately here so no danger of snakes in my back yard where I have about 1 foot of snow. 555
Harvey
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

HHF If I win a very big lottery, I may well come to your place and take it off of your willing hands. That is a very nice back yard that you have, snakes and all!!
Thanks but too late. I got tired of paying the bills to support the property and incrementally lowered the asking price until it finally sold. The snakes belong to the new owner now and I'm just biding my time until this new healthcare debacle settles down in the U.S. so I can calculate whether or not we can go home.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

hhfarang wrote:I'm just biding my time until this new healthcare debacle settles down in the U.S. so I can calculate whether or not we can go home.
Off topic I know but I thought you were planning to build a home in Isaan now
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Off topic I know but I thought you were planning to build a home in Isaan now
Done and dusted...(photo was before the gate and front fence metal sections were installed), 3.5 months from tear down of the old house to completion. We built it ourselves... my design, my wife hired the labor and we bought the materials ourselves... no more cowboy builders!

It is the finest home within 100 kilos... we will spend visits in it but we still want to go back to the U.S. for most of the year.
P1030061 (Medium).JPG
:offtopic:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
AllanH
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AllanH »

I heard about the ultrasonic snake repellers from australia and was going to get for Hong Kong, except it works by vibrations through the ground that scare snakes away and our fall into the garden from the trees and did not want a demented snake fearing for its life trapped in the back garden!

I do intend to get them when I come to live in hua Hin though and have appended a couple of websites I looked at here. Not sure if they deliver abroad and they all seemed to be mail order. But someone with a friend in Aus could start marketing them there in Hua Hin, they are solar powered and if they work sound like a great solution especially for that big garden :)

http://www.sureguard.com.au/products/Snake-Repellent
http://www.snakerepellent.com.au/
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

If you are unlucky enough to be bitten by a snake do the medical people need to know the species of snake involved before they came give anti-toxin?
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Best if you can photograph it with phone or camera. Don't risk getting bitten again. Note size, shape of head, color, markings, anything else that may help to identify it. Last resort is to kill the snake and bring it with you. Just remember that a dead snake or a cut off head can still bite you with muscle reflexes. In most circumstances they need to know what they are treating for, so yes, you need identity before treatment with anti-venom. It is best to call the hospital before going, to see if they have the anti-venom needed. If you are in an area where the chances of being bitten are high, or your work puts you in repeated danger, it is best to get a list of hospitals that carry anti-venom and which types.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Hua Hin hospital has anti venom but not sure about the others.
gandalfinthai

Lots of Snakes in my Garden - why?

Post by gandalfinthai »

I live in Samor Prong up near the mountain. I have been here for two years and in that time I have seen three snakes in my garden. Last night and today I have had to deal with a harmless Golden Tree Snake, an very large rat snake, and two unidentified snakes, one banded, the other small and white and a 5 foot long monocled cobra. Can anyone hazard a guess as to why I am suddenly being visited by a bunch of these creatures all at once?

Here is a picture of the tree snake in our small papaya.

http://alllifeisanart.tumblr.com/image/80861203879
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Lots of Snakes in my Garden - why?

Post by Lung Per »

Nice photos - but i only saw the green snake.
A friend is only one click away
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Lung Per wrote:Nice photos - but i only saw the green snake.
yep me to

:cheers: :cheers:
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Snakes generally avoid humans .They tend to move in closer with us if we are somehow helping them with an easy food supply or providing them with good nesting sites. If you have a good supply of rats, mice ,frogs, fish,eggs, baby birds or fresh water if in a drought area they will hang about.
Your place could be sitting on an old ancestral reptilian mating area and they will venture onto your place for this reason by instinct, or it might even be a case of you being just nice people and it's cool for them to want to hang around.
Complexity is so simply overrated
gandalfinthai

Post by gandalfinthai »

[quote=" or it might even be a case of you being just nice people and it's cool for them to want to hang around.[/quote]

That's it! Thanks.
gandalfinthai

Post by gandalfinthai »

Lung Per wrote:Nice photos - but i only saw the green snake.

I didn't get pictures of the others. I tried to get the cobra but the dog drove him off before I could return with my camera.
gandalfinthai

Golden Tree Snake (Flying snake) in my Papaya

Post by gandalfinthai »

Golden Tree Snake
Golden Tree Snake
goldentreesnake5045.6.jpg (132.24 KiB) Viewed 1022 times