(Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
PeteC

Re: (Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Post by PeteC »

Is anyone besides me having problems wearing a mask for any extended length of time? To me that means more than 1 hour! :banghead: Especially true if I have to wear my glasses as they steam up constantly.

The damn things drive me nuts no matter the material or the design. I can understand why there have been increased "outrage" incidents on aircraft if a mask mandate is in place, and it's a long flight. I can't even imagine trying to take 20 hour flights with stopover in airports where you have to wear a mask as well. :( I think the next long trip may be by cruise ship or freighter. :idea:

Yes, practice makes perfect and there are professions that must wear them all the time, Covid or no Covid. Hats off to those people as I don't think I could ever be one of them. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've worn a mask for extended periods, sometimes several hours with no problem. My daughter is asthmatic and needs to use her 'puffer' regularly and even though she has a valid excuse not to wear one, she tells me that it's no problem.

If it's a case of breathing in and the material sucks in to your face, try using a 'dome' under the mask which keeps it away from your face. My wife uses one and she says it makes a big difference.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They don't bother me, but I only wear the N95 (is that the right code) masks, which are moulded to keep them away from my mouth. My daughter has bought a plastic insert for her cloth masks that has a similar effect.

For Mrs BB (serious lung problems) I have bought her a mask with a built in rechargeable air filter, which blows clean air into her lungs. A little more expensive, but effective.

There are a lot of solutions out there, I think you have to shop around to see what suits you best.

While we're talking masks, I had a rare lunch out yesterday at Santa Fe in Market Village. We sat outside, doing a bit of people watching. I would say 95% were fully compliant with mask wearing. I only spotted one Thai not playing the game.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:02 pm They don't bother me, but I only wear the N95 (is that the right code) masks, which are moulded to keep them away from my mouth. My daughter has bought a plastic insert for her cloth masks that has a similar effect.

For Mrs BB (serious lung problems) I have bought her a mask with a built in rechargeable air filter, which blows clean air into her lungs. A little more expensive, but effective.

There are a lot of solutions out there, I think you have to shop around to see what suits you best.

While we're talking masks, I had a rare lunch out yesterday at Santa Fe in Market Village. We sat outside, doing a bit of people watching. I would say 95% were fully compliant with mask wearing. I only spotted one Thai not playing the game.
Fully compliant as in wearing the mask over the nose as opposed to the old chin diaper brigade I see far too often, mainly farangs. :cuss:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Like you Pete, they tend to steam up my glasses. I try to get the little metal tab tight on my (big) nose but I still get some fogging. Haven't had to use one yet more than a shopping trip (less than an hour) but if I had to it wouldn't be pretty.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

I want to breath, I want to breath.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

[MOD Edit] Comment removed.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I find them uncomfortable and I feel claustrophobic when wearing one.
The plastic cage does help quite a bit.
There are a few videos about how to keep your glasses from fogging up.
The cage works for me.
I do find myself becoming irritable after wearing one for an hour but I only go out for food shopping about every 7-10 days, which isn't much different than before the virus.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Especially true if I have to wear my glasses as they steam up constantly.
This guy says he has a fix for that. You can skip the first minute as it's just introduction and discussing what doesn't work. Reading the comments, it seems to be successful.

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think the climate has an effect on wearing a mask. The sort of changeable, sometimes muggy weather we are having now, seems to make it more uncomfortable for me with a mask than when the weather was more settled.
Talk is cheap
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I never wear a mask makes it imossible to breathe when you already have a problem breathing. Although I am exempt in the uk from wearing a mask, I do wear an NHS plastic visor. There is no excuse for anybody not to use some form of protection.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Have a look at all the lovely pathogens that are building up on your masks.

https://alachuachronicle.com/dangerous- ... ace-masks/
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Happy to be in an area where most, inclusive, do not comply. Guessing 75% don't wear a mask properly, if wearing. Since a farang (target wearing), I wear, but same as the 75%.

Had Po Po drive by me a couple times, when I forgot to put on for my morning walk, and they didn't bat an eye. The mask I do wear, is a novelty, Freddy Kruger-ish, and a bit more useless than the 'recommended' masks.

Personal choice, and I simply prefer not to. Puts nobody in danger, as social distancing is more important, if you believe that also. Healthy immune system is your best defense against all infections.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

nil wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:04 pm Have a look at all the lovely pathogens that are building up on your masks.

https://alachuachronicle.com/dangerous- ... ace-masks/
Don't wear a mask for more than 30 mins usually. Possibly an hour sometimes. So this study has no relevance for me.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

At least there is still the unwritten rule that masks don’t need to be worn on the beach. It’s like a pocket of normality.