Another Alcohol Ban?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

richard,
From my perspective it isn't irritation that I can't get a drink (although it would be nice if the law was applied with more logic and consistency everywhere), but that Thailand and its people will suffer from the loss of earnings from those bans directly, and indirectly from tourists potentially choosing other destinations in the future - in an already poor high season (by all accounts) it will be the straw that breaks the camels back for some. The other side of the coin is how effective is it in achieving the stated goals of a sober electorate and preventing parties aimed at bribing voters? I would suggest it is about as effective as the attempt to conserve fuel by closing the petrol stations at 10 pm (which was sensibly thrown out eventually). Although I have no stake in this country in terms of voting rights or status, that doesn't stop me caring about the country and its people, as I would like them to have better lives, but this is not helped by stupid and ill thought out laws such as this one.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Wanderlust

I agree with you wholeheartedly

BUT we are powerless to change it. We have an option-- Take it or leave it. They have no option but to accept it or suffer the consequences

My rant is about 'know it all farangs' who think they can change things and winge about everything

I was taught many moons ago when I first came here to live that for every Thai problem there are numerous solutions.

I think I now know a little about Thai logic and have come to accept it after all TIT

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

laws

Post by redzonerocker »

Wanderlust wrote: Although I have no stake in this country in terms of voting rights or status, that doesn't stop me caring about the country and its people, as I would like them to have better lives, but this is not helped by stupid and ill thought out laws such as this one.
i agree with you in your way of thinking & with you 100%.
i do though agree with richard & i think his point is directed at those that seem to have the farang persecution complex.
it was bad planning & ill timed, but thats the way it is. its over now & life goes on regardless.
before anyone labels me with the "if you don't like it brigade...", i'm not one of those.as i've said before, having lived in several different countries, you sometimes have to accept things however odd,daft or unreasonable they seem.
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
buksida

Post by buksida »

richard, don't take this the wrong way but there is a slight difference between the following two scenarios:

1) being retired, having a steady and stable income from your home country and very little to concern yourself with should things go awry here or being a part time visitor with a base and income elsewhere.

and

2) living permanently for many years, working or trying to run a business, paying taxes, and raising a family in Thailand that is dependent on you being able to stay here.

Hence some farangs will probably rant a bit more than others regardless of their "knowledge" and no ... going "home" often isnt an option for many.

:thumb:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I was up in our place north of Nong Ki for the election period, and in the afternoon before the ban started, the police considerately turned up to warn the local shop that everybody had an hour left to get stocked up because they were going to have to enforce the drinking ban!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Buksi

I understand your comments

I have many friends here that have responsibilities to their businesses, family and have lived here many years

On the retirement front it also has a variety of scenarios

Some retirees have sold up and a return home would mean a downturn in living standards, additional expenses, lousy weather and a hostile populace. This is especially true of those that have been here 5 years or more.

Some who have not been here long, are young and fit enough to get a job at home or have property at home are in a position to pack up and leave

Personally I committed to selling up, investing in properties for my daughters and committed myself to spending the rest of my days in this idyllic kingdom . My exodus would mean what I said in paragraph 4. Besides I don't have a Polish passport!!!!

I guess it's really a question of where each and everyone of us is coming from and our individual circumstances

Having lived in Zimbabwe for many years, I have seen many casualties and hopefully our postings will give potential residents a clear idea of the pitfalls

Cheers and let's hope 2008 is not all doom and gloom. By nature I'm an optimist BUT in my ripe old age, a realist too now!!

HAPPY New Year to you. family and friends

:cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Following on from my last posting on this thread, something I wish to share with all and sundry about my optimistic nature

When I'm feeling down I read the following:

IF YOU THINK YOUR BEATEN, YOU ARE
IF YOU THINK YOU DARE NOT, YOU DON’T
IF YOU LIKE TO WIN, BUT THINK YOU CAN’T
IT’S ALMOST A CINCH YOU WON’T

IF YOU THINK YOU’LL LOSE, YOU’RE LOST
FOR OUT OF THIS WORLD WE FIND
SUCCESS BEGINS WITH A FELLOWS WILL
IT’S ALL IN THE STATE OF MIND

IF YOU THINK YOU’RE OUTCLASSED, YOU ARE
YOU’VE GOT TO THINK HIGH TO RISE
YOU’VE GOT TO BE SURE OF YOURSELF
BEFORE YOU CAN WIN THE PRIZE

LIFE’S BATTLES DON’T ALWAYS GO
TO THE STRONGER OR FASTER MAN
BUT SOONER OR LATER THE MAN WHO WINS
IS THE MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN

Hope somebody reaps some benefit from my message

Cheers :thumb:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A couple of days ago there was mention of a 15 day closure of places of entertainment such as bars out of respect for the passing HRH's sister. Did it actually happen?

If it did, what is the effect on the affected establishments if any?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Big Boy: Haven't heard anything about closure or bars etc. for the departed Princess.

We did, however, bump into a collegue at the government run university where we work today and she said that there would be no parties, or suchlike for civil servants for the 15 day period - they should be sombre.

The fact that most of them don't drink, or 'party' won't really affect them at all. They've just got to drag out all the black clothing from their wardrobes and do the respect thing.

I don't think that this will affect any of the bars/restaurants - they've been crucified enough from the election fiasco.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Was down in Binthabat today and it was business as usual as far as I could see.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's good news - another 'enforced' closure really could have been the final straw for both bar owners, and those who work there.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

I have heard the same as you BB!

It was the proposal from some over-zealously future PPP-MP.

Their idea was to close down all bars, pubs and other entertainment businesses for a period of 15 days, to oblige everybody all over the country to wear unobtrusive clothes for 100 days, and that officers should have to wear a mourning-crape additional for the same period of time to show respect for the passing of HRH's sister.

I think we all are able to imagine what will be happening, if these people are coming into power officially soon!
:roll: