Do you have an addictive personality?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Do you have an addictive personality?

Post by Wanderlust »

I came across this 'test' at http://www.menshealth.com/cda/quiz.do?s ... e793cd____ and while this type of general test can't possibly be accurate, it got me thinking about the subject of addiction, and if the 'addictive personality' is true, as in some people are more prone to getting addicted to something, regardless of environment. I am a fairly heavy drinker, but don't regard myself as addicted, but I also know that a trait of an addict is denial! I travelled in Vietnam with a friend who is an alcoholic and confesses as much, and the first thing he would do in the morning would be to have a drink, and he carried on for the rest of the day while I almost never drink in the day time; whether this is a crucial difference I don't know, but I just don't want a drink during the day. I guess I am interested to hear what other people's habits and views are, and not just about alcohol but (potential) addictions in general (e.g. exercise, dieting, shopping, drugs, computers etc), and what defines it as an an addiction rather than just something you enjoy?
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

hello mate!

Addiction is a whole field of psychology, and not one I took much notice of, although I am aware that there are such things as "addictive personalities"...ie some people are physically and/or mentally more subject to addictions than others. I know genetecists are looking at "inherited" addiction susceptibility and have linked it with alcoholism.

I am an addict, and have been addicted to my own particular favorite poison since 16.....a daily consumer.....get grumps when I have to go without.....all addict signs. Mine is a manageable and quiet addiction tho, so Im lucky I guess. Im also lucky I can go in most shops and buy my fix....20 deathsticks.

Addiction isnt a black and white thing.....there are scales of addiction. So whilst I drink every day Id shy away from saying I was an alcohol addict....I dont feel the need to drink every day, and dont miss it if i dont, like when traveling in some strict Muslim countries....my ex had a hell of a time in Iran.

Yes W, Id say your mate is an alcoholic if he drinks when he wakes up.....like I say I lived with one for 9 years, and employ another in the UK.....not an easy addiction to live with.....socially acceptable and insidious so a lot harder to cope with than other addictions.

A mate back home has what Id call a binge addiction. If there is his poison available he will buy a load and consume the lot in one night....go at it till its all gone. Its impossible for him not to do the lot. However he doesnt feel the need to go out and get more the next day. That to me is addiction but on a different level.

What really makes me laugh is when a health nut lectures me on my addiction. I smile and ask how their addiction to seratonin and adrenaline bursts is going......then point out that my fix hasnt killed me yet, whereas Jim Fix's fix killed him at a younger age than mine.

I dont throw stones at any addict, and cant understand this hypocrisy we have in the west where being an addict to some things means you get an "awwww" response whereas others get a "dirty addict" response......seems being an addict to taxable drugs is ok, whereas being an addict to non taxable drugs isnt.....

The Streets sums it up..... "The Irony Of It All"......
:cheers:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... t=lf&hl=en
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

sandman67 wrote: The Streets sums it up..... "The Irony Of It All"......
:cheers:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... t=lf&hl=en
Great Tune, loved that 1st Album.

Especially this Tune.
:dance: :thumb:

:offtopic: Sorry.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

When I was living full time in Asia I was drinking enough everyday to be firmly in the alcoholic bracket, I think it’s an occupational hazard of the ex-pat lifestyle.
Since I started working in Europe again I’ve had to almost cutout drinking during the working week as it’s not acceptable anymore, but I still drink as much at the weekends which apparently is a large enough amount to make me a binge-drinker.
I suppose going from alcoholism to binge-drinking is a step on the road to recovery!