Hua Hin to Cha-Am - Don't spare the horses! ;)

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Last word from me; the driver/rider who is supremely confident in their ability to deal with any given situation will always be undone by the idiots, incompetents, unobservants and the unexpected. Driving too fast will compound any accident and particularly for those riding motorbikes, whether they are the victim or the culprit. All of this applies tenfold in a country like Thailand where the general level of driving skill is much lower due to a variety of factors, the ease of getting a licence being a major one. I don't know if the lower speed limits in force here are because of these various factors but I would like to think so.

The indifference shown by Rider to both the law and the opinions of others on this thread does not cast either him nor the other bikers he speaks of in a very good light, which is a great shame, as bikers normally have a reputation for being more courteous and considerate than car drivers, and that has certainly applied to those I have known. Too many expats and tourists as well as Thais have been lost to the roads here, and often because of the belief of the driver/rider that they are better than the rest. The roads are not playgrounds for adrenaline junkies, and I would think the vast majority of experienced bikers would frown on such irresponsibility. Hopefully Rider's posts on here are just bravado and the reality is that he is much more responsible than the impression given, for the sake of all road users that might come into contact with him and his friends.

Now you can have the last word, Rider :thumb:
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Why thank-you Mr Lust :).

A strange force guided me and look what appeared:

JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

You were just trying to keep up with our delivery boy on his trip to Cha Am.

Catch his road trip to Cha Am here, starts 1 minute into this video.

Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

The roads are not playgrounds for adrenaline junkies
sorry Rider I agree with WL...and Im a long term biker

if you want to play at being Foggy go do it on a racetrack or unused road.

The main road, used by my missus, has enough Thai dickheads on it as is.....we dont need any more thanks.

:cuss:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Show me where I was 'acting like foggy' and I'll buy you a beer. Going in a straight-line, aware of my surroundings at 120-140 kph is not acting like a dick-head, dick-head.
The speed limit on that road is 100kph (extremely conservative), I grew up learning to drive and ride on the autobahns of Germany and the A roads of the UK so forgive me if I've ruffled some of the gentlefolk drivers out there ;)

Breaking the speed-limit by a measly 20-40 kph is hardly even worth the time of day compared to what I've seen in other countries. Some of you really need to wind your necks in and stop acting like your the confucious of motorists.
I swear some of you are sounding like wanna-be expat police.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin to Cha-Am - Don't spare the horses! ;)

Post by dtaai-maai »

dtaai-maai wrote: but he's talked himself down to 140 kph in recent posts.

It's so easy to get wound up, whether you're behind the wheel or behind the keyboard.
Oops, make that 120 :D
This is the way
miked
Professional
Professional

Post by miked »

rider
i have just wasted 10 minutes watching your video, Hua Hin/ Cha am. you call that fast.??? even a Bangkok taxi overtook you.!! my wife on her step through would have past you. i really thought you a serious biker. i think your sad.
miked
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Nobody's forcing you Micky :)
Good for you mate, I wasn't out to set a new world record but hey :D
Glad you're happy to go faster. Maybe the go-slow brigade will take note ;)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Wanderlust wrote:Whenever I am in the UK I use the motorways and normally drive near the speed limit
So you're the one - Jeez, I hope you don't sit in the middle lane as well! :)
Talk is cheap
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Rider wrote:Breaking the speed-limit by a measly 20-40 kph is hardly even worth the time of day compared to what I've seen in other countries. Some of you really need to wind your necks in and stop acting like your the confucious of motorists.
The point is some of us do break the speed limit by the speeds you suggest, we just don't feel we are being big and clever and need to tell people on a forum about it or post daft videos of it.
My last post but I think the general message is GROW UP, WE ARE NOT IMPRESSED .
Whoopee-do, you can ride a bike fast :roll:

SJ
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

miked wrote:...even a Bangkok taxi overtook you.!!
Did you get his number? I almost missed my flight last time I was back!
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Super Joe wrote:
Rider wrote:Breaking the speed-limit by a measly 20-40 kph is hardly even worth the time of day compared to what I've seen in other countries. Some of you really need to wind your necks in and stop acting like your the confucious of motorists.
The point is some of us do break the speed limit by the speeds you suggest, we just don't feel we are being big and clever and need to tell people on a forum about it or post daft videos of it.
My last post but I think the general message is GROW UP, WE ARE NOT IMPRESSED .
Whoopee-do, you can ride a bike fast :roll:

SJ
SJ,

What's daft about it? It's not for people like you, but for bikers who like to go fast and enjoy seeing other riders on the move.
I think the other forum members on HHAD who own sportsbikes, can go fast, rig up a helmet cam, and actually go out and do it are incredibly few and far between.
This isn't meant as an insult or bigging up myself. It's just stating facts as I see them.
If I was at the average age of HH expats I'd probably be in a car and of done all my wild sht already.
The thing is, I'm in my 30s, young at heart and like to go fast on bikes and do the crazy wild fast thing now and then.
If you've got a problem with that then don't bother posting cause I think that you, SJ, sound like an bitter biker-hating car driver IMO.

Right, that little rant over, onto some good news.
There's a biker tour next month taking place.
Setting out from Chonburi and going on a wide loop around Thailand.
For more details PM me and I'll give you the meet-up details.
However,
The trip leader (not me) is setting a pace of 140-160 kph speeds so make sure, if you're coming you've got a bike that can do that and has a good (200km) range at highspeed.
That's a little wild for some of you judging by the feedback but hopefully there's a few sportsbikers out there that'll be interested.
Safe riding out there :)
rig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rig »

Hi Rider, I spent 8 years in the London Ambulance service, it was almost a daily routine picking up 'hard' bikers weeping like little kids after they scratched their knees and hands. We found it rather amusing seeing these burly men crying only downside was when they hit someone else, then the triage system would put these hard men too the back of the que, hope you find help quickly when you come off in the middle of nowhere, oh, and you will, they all do ! :clap:
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

HuaHin to ChaAm - Don't spare the horses!

Post by margaretcarnes »

Thanks for that 'reality check' Rig. I worked on Orthopaedic wards admitting the messes that you guys scraped up. Even the professional speedway riders were regular casualties.
Unfortunately the reality doesn't mean much to the average biker until it catches up with them, which, as you say, it will.
There was talk one time of all learner bikers having to do a visit to the A&E wards but I don't think anything came of it. Having said that, one major cause of minor injuries was removed when the law changed on kickstart pedals, which would often make a tidy hole in an ankle!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Hua Hin to Cha Am dont spare the horses

Post by Arcadian »

Stephen Fry gave up his m/cycle when his cousin, a surgeon at Moorfields eye hospital, told him this story. A woman was waiting for a cornea transplant, the surgeon looked out of the window and remarked that it had just started raining, so a motorcyclist donor would be along any time now.