Alternative route to Suvarnabhumi, Sukhumvit & NE

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
MartinHHG
Rookie
Rookie

Alternative route to Suvarnabhumi, Sukhumvit & NE

Post by MartinHHG »

Maybe this is common knowledge but new to me so it may be of use to some of you.

This route is not signposted, maybe because the toll booths are not open yet, but after Samut Sakhon but before you get to Tesco Lotus on Rama 2, there is a great new(ish) road.

When you see a sign for Phra Phradaeng highway 9, follow that route, within 10 minutes you cross a big bridge into Bang Na. First exit takes you to Sukhumvit near On Nut, soon after is the turn to the airport, and if you stay on highway 9, (Outer ring), it takes you to all routes heading out to North East.

Added bonus of toll booths not open last weekend.
baron_wastelanduk
Professional
Professional

new route

Post by baron_wastelanduk »

I didnt realise they had finished that flyover yet amazing its been half finished for as long as i can remember
that means you can in theory at bang na and turn right on the sukhumvitt road into on nut and then onwards into cowboy etc
CDK

there are three sorts of people in this world those that can count and those that cant
MartinHHG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MartinHHG »

I was staying near Ekkamai on Sukhumvit, I was there about the time I'd have been crossing the river on the old route I reckon. Depending on traffic on the old route this could save over 30 minutes going to Airport.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

MartinHHG wrote:I was staying near Ekkamai on Sukhumvit, I was there about the time I'd have been crossing the river on the old route I reckon. Depending on traffic on the old route this could save over 30 minutes going to Airport.
Not sure which "flyover" is being referred to? That route has been open since the new bridge was completed, about a year ago. It is good for the Airport, but if you are going to Sukhumvit, now that the new Industrial Ring Road is operating, Rama 9 Bridge has a lot less traffic and is probably quicker.

It has been toll free since opening, but those fancy new toll booths are going to put a stop to that! Just watch out for the correct name of the road.

http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php/200 ... oad?blog=5
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
MartinHHG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MartinHHG »

It may be that one that I'm referring to, I'm sure this bridge has been open at least a year but didn't know how to get to it! You get to it via highway 9 through an industrial area after leaving Rama2, this seems like a new road.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Martin, the bridge opened in November 2007 and the road you are refering to was actually finished before that, but the junction where you join it wasn’t and it was hard to find.
As you say, it’s been free up to now, but the toll booths are being built slowly.
The highway 9 Eastern bypass is also being developed more and when I came down there last month it looked like more lanes are being added to make it three lanes all the way to where you meet highway 1 near Wang Noi.
MartinHHG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MartinHHG »

Had a feeling most of it wasn't new but never knew how to use it, Thai friend took me that way and it was a blessed relief to avoid the usual jams and tolls.

When I came back I was traveling from Lam Lukka, East of Bkk. Followed signs to get on highway 9, then just stayed on it until I hit Rama 2 and sign for Samut Sakhon. Didn't time it but it seemed to save a lot of time and hassle.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

I always stay straight on and come off at port,do a left,past tescos then right and immediate left at carrefour into sukhumvit soi 26 .Will the OP route save me any time ? ie does it avoid the rama IX bridge which can be a bit slow sometimes .From my place in soi 88 I am normally sitting in the Dubliner ordering breakfast :munch: in 2.15-2.30 hrs with a cigarette and leg stretch break halfway included .

Crazy 88
MartinHHG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MartinHHG »

Too be honest I wouldn't like to say for sure as I am not familiar enough with the route you currently take and I'm not sure where the Dubliner is.

It seemed to me that I was turning into Sukhumvit soi 70 area, after about the same amount of time that I would have been crossing the river on the bridge near the KBank headquarters. Traffic on highway 9 was very light whereas that on highway 2 between the junction and the bridge and beyond is always heavy.

Give it a try next time, I would be interested to know what you think, I will certainly be using this route when I go to Bkk as I stay to the NE of the city and this road goes straight there.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

In that case it would be quicker depending on where I stay on sukhumvit .So thanks :cheers:

The dubliner is on the corner of washington square soi 22 on the main road .Great breakfast menu and usually easy to park behind .

Crazy 88
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

It's horses for courses!

Mr. C - for the Dubliner your routing is the best.
Martin - if you are going N.E. of the city then stay on the ring road 9

When in BKK I stay at Phra Khanong - so it's over Rama IX bridge and exit at the one after the Port exit - called At Narong.

I DID try going around 9 and coming in along Sukhumvit from the Bang Na end - twice - it was hell.

BUT from HH to Swampypoom airport you're generally better off taking 9 around to the intersection with 7 - At least until the toll booths open - which is not long to go !