Permanent Residency

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The comment about a Singaporean (no offence Vince :wink: ) was that it is a known fact that Asians can get visas and permits easier than 'farangs'. Indians are a good example.

So if what you're saying is correct this 'Siam Legal' bunch don't know their arses from their elbows! I have contacts in the head office of immigration in Bangkok that maybe able to put me straight on it all so will take that route.

The rejection was on the grounds of a minor quibble with the 'social security' as I have had three different work permits since 2001 (but the same visa which has been extended consecutively every year since 2000). So, again, bamboozled by bureaucracy.

As we know from our local immigration office they don't exactly follow the law to the letter so it doesn't matter what is written on any website. Luck of the draw I guess ... I'll carry on pissing into the wind and report back on my findings.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

buksida wrote:The comment about a Singaporean (no offence Vince :wink: ) was that it is a known fact that Asians can get visas and permits easier than 'farangs'. Indians are a good example.
Can't really argue with that, sounds about right. Based on that, then the 20 Brits compared to 6 Singaporean's indicates to me then that they're not anti issuing them to Farangs, ofcourse we don't know how many from each group actually applied originally, how many we're well connected or whatever. We're guessing basically.
So if what you're saying is correct this 'Siam Legal' bunch don't know their arses from their elbows! I have contacts in the head office of immigration in Bangkok that maybe able to put me straight on it all so will take that route. The rejection was on the grounds of a minor quibble with the 'social security' as I have had three different work permits since 2001 (but the same visa which has been extended consecutively every year since 2000). So, again, bamboozled by bureaucracy.
Bureaucracy to you, incorrect documentation to them!?!?!? I'm basing my comments on the Immigration Department's own published criteria (I put a link in an earlier post to Malcolm), there's contradictions with the lawyers advice.

At the end of the day Immigration can do what they like, we are both clearly biased either way, neither of us know with any authority what does or doesn't occur with the issuing PR. End of the day it's up to the individual if they want to go for it or not, if I thought (and I don't) that it may prove crucial for me and family in the future I'd have a go for the sake of the 7,600 Baht application in a heartbeat, but understand others consider 'they're' anti-us and it won't be worth the effort.

SJ
buksida

Post by buksida »

Super Joe wrote:Bureaucracy to you, incorrect documentation to them!?!?!? I'm basing my comments on the Immigration Department's own published criteria (I put a link in an earlier post to Malcolm), there's contradictions with the lawyers advice.

At the end of the day Immigration can do what they like, we are both clearly biased either way, neither of us know with any authority what does or doesn't occur with the issuing PR. End of the day it's up to the individual if they want to go for it or not, if I thought (and I don't) that it may prove crucial for me and family in the future I'd have a go for the sake of the 7,600 Baht application in a heartbeat, but understand others consider 'they're' anti-us and it won't be worth the effort.
All terminology mate, twisting and turning of words, if things were as easy as you claim they are fewer people would have problems and there would be less barriers put up.

Agree with the bottom para, they can do what they like so even with that magic red book you still are not secure here as JG stated. Not worth the effort sounds about right!

I'll try another way though for research purposes and see if I get a completely different set of criteria!

Welcome to Toyland! :thumb:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

buksida wrote:All terminology mate, twisting and turning of words, if things were as easy as you claim they are fewer people would have problems and there would be less barriers put
Likewise re: 'twisting', I've never hinted at, let alone said PR would be easy to obtain, just pointed out the criteria is not about paying big taxes and working for big corporations, and Vincent confirmed that it's not just for the high-fliers. I've said other Immigration stuff is easy IF you meet the criteria, at worst it's extra copies or maps etc.
You've said said things like PR is useless, to you maybe, I've chosen to point out to readers how it may be crucial for some in the future, or how it can release large tied-up investments such as property etc, or release the 800k show money, no-one has disputed those points. I've read a lot defeatist talk and negativity about how it's too hard to obtain so why bother and the like.
Each to their own.

SJ
Last edited by Super Joe on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

SJ,
Just picking you up on one point - the fact that Imm can do whatever they want. Very true, but they're mostly fair within the confines of the law.
I just get the feeling - and it's no more than a feeling - that there's a lot more "latitude" regarding PR. That could be good or bad.
Yes, there are web sites that we can look at and get a general feel, but basically I think the decision about PR is out of Imm's hands. They'll process the application and give good advice, but there's a political agenda after that. That just seems to me to be way it is.
Married to Thai national for 5 years and earning 30k a month? PR is about the highest status any non-Thai national can get. I really can't see "decent" maried farangs on 35k a month getting the status.
I may well be wrong - and hope I am.
However, in a few years, maybe I'll try. I stand to lose 8k odd, but at least I'll have attempted it.
Also, it seems like I'd need to have worked here and paid taxes. I know the regulations don't stipulate that, but?
I've always got the retirement extension, or marriage, to fall back on, but realistically I don't think I'll get further than that status wise here. That's fine for now though.
I'll stand down from the "high flier" comments of a few days ago, but I just can't see that right now - married to a Thai national for almost 5 years, enough income from overseas, lived here for 11 years etc etc - I'd get past stage one.
I'm willing to give it a go though. The status does have benefits.
PS, I went on too long. It wasn't just one point.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

buksida wrote:The comment about a Singaporean (no offence Vince :wink: ) was that it is a known fact that Asians can get visas and permits easier than 'farangs'.
No offence taken :) .

Apart from the fact that Singapore is part of ASEAN, then yes, it is easier to get in and around the region. This, however, is assuming you are based in your home country.

When it comes to PR, I get lumped in the system just like the rest of the world. No preferential treatment here.

As an aside, do note that all is not equal within ASEAN countries. Had I decided at the time to settle in Singapore with my Thai wife, she would not be allowed to work. Full stop. Even with a university education and being an active and qualified ATC.
On the other hand, I *could* work here - at least within the limited job categories available. Part of that criteria is that you are doing a job that a Thai cannot do. I met the criteria and did work for a BOI promoted company for a while. With PR there are a lot less restrictions regarding choice of jobs.

I also came in with the mindset that I was going to settle here and therefore started on my homework early.

I'm still here after twenty years. And to add to Mr. Plum's thread (I've yet to vote) I'm happy to be here. :mrgreen:
วินเชนท์
tarakandi
Banned
Banned

Post by tarakandi »

I have PR, I applied in 95 issued in 96, and it was a long drawn out process, but worth it in the end

I know of at least 9 others in Hua Hin. The most recent got his in 2006, he used a law firm cost him around 350,000.

First they assessed whether he qualified and then once they agree to take the case you pay the fee in advance and then you sign a contract with the agreement that if you are not successful they will refund all except the official fees.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

tarakandi,
Were you and these successful applicants working and paying tax here?
tarakandi
Banned
Banned

Post by tarakandi »

Lomuamart

Yes I am paying income tax here and I am sure all the others are also.

My understanding is that your taxable income per month must be at least 60,000
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks for that info.
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

tarakandi wrote:Lomuamart

Yes I am paying income tax here and I am sure all the others are also.

My understanding is that your taxable income per month must be at least 60,000
are you american? cos i thought it varies for different nationalities.
50,000 for uk citizens i think.
or is that solely for WPs
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
tarakandi
Banned
Banned

Post by tarakandi »

Splitlid

I am British and yes as far as I understand it is 60,000 with a WP.
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

arrrrr, must have them the wrong way round then, so why was buksida told by a lawyer that it had to be 80,000? :shock:
seems the lawyer don't know what his talking about,as already suggested. :D
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
tarakandi
Banned
Banned

Post by tarakandi »

Splitlid

Yes it could be 80,000 now; but as I have said in 2006 I understood it to be 60,000.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Thanks to Tarakandi and Vincent for their info.

Splitlid I think you're referring to this minimum salary requirement per nationality to obtain a WP:

This is not the same criteria to qualify for PR, which is here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en ... ice_en.pdf
There seems to be different salary requirements depending under which catagory of PR you are applying under, they include 30,000, 50,000, 65,000 and 80,000. A 14 year old child can apply for example but there parent would need to prove 30k.
Reading an account of someone who went through the process, there's a points system, they may permit you to be a it under the minimum salary requirement IF you have other additional contributions, ie: been a Monk for a while, demonstrate charity work/contributions or other things that are a positive contribution to the country.
Also even though a person is here working (business), you can still apply under a different catagory than 'working/business', like for 'patronage of a Thai spouse'. Your salary may fall well short under the 'working/business' catagory but well above the minimum 30,000 Baht required for 'patronage of a Thai spouse', and this may score you additional points!?. You get 10 points for proving a biological child, 10 points for passing the Thai language test etc.

Quote from someone having gone through the process:
tax paid is only part of the overall points scoring process, so do not draw a link between amount earned and chances of getting your PR - I know 2 ex-pat Catholic priests who earn very little, and charity workers. None-the-less, they have a tax record, the point is the authorities do not use the amount earned (hence, tax paid) as a stand alone "go - no go" criteria.
SJ
Last edited by Super Joe on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.