Another Windows XP Problem

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
m_right
Guru
Guru

Another Windows XP Problem

Post by m_right »

I have tried VISTA and I hated it. I get by just fine with XP Pro BUT

My laptop was losing it so I bought a new one at Lotus. A compac. It was on special and a pretty good deal. I paid a little extra for a bootleg copy of XP because I have a licensed copy on CD which I planned on using anyway.

Now I have a big problem. Microsoft won't let me register the copy on the laptop. The update site doesn't want to authorize it even with my Key Code. I can't install over the one on the laptop because XP install says the one on the laptop is a newer version.

I would just reformat the hard drive and insatll XP new but the new laptop has a SATA drive which the XP install can't handle.

Since I paid for the XP license and I hate VISTA I don't want to install vista. The version of XP on the laptop right now really sucks. It is customized for Thais and it isn't supported.

Any ideas?
buksida

Post by buksida »

A bit confused by your post there, as you seem to be, but will try ...

Why would you pay for a pirate copy of XP if you already have a licensed disc?

No, M$ won't let you register a pirate copy - you need to format the thing and install your genuine one.

There are no problems with XP and SATA hard drives (I'm typing this on a computer installed with it on one).

XP is multi-language and there is no "Thai version", I suspect they have just set your keyboard and location to Thai - which is quite common for a laptop purchased in Thailand.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
SuperTonic
Suspended
Suspended

Post by SuperTonic »

Ok here's my theory. I think he's got an OEM version of XP and the pirate version is non-OEM, or the other way round. Either way, the keys are different.

If you get a matching version you can use a legit key in a pirate XP and all will be well, but where they're different, the key won't work.

So.. you've got a legit copy of XP? Great, install it (though beware Microsoft are eventually going to withdraw support for it, which means no security updates and even MORE viruses). Just use the original disk, not the pirate one.

Or.. do you not have the CD? Just a key on a sticker on an old computer and a recovery disk? In that case, it's OEM, and the license does not permit you to use it on another computer. Your solution here would be to find a good working cracked XP, or download an OEM version of XP to match your key and hope for the best, but it might not work.

If all else fails, take a look at http://www.ubuntu.com as it's a legal free alternative and it'll work fine on most PCs. PM me if you try it as I can walk you through any tricky bits.
Libraries gave us power, then work came and made us [url=http://linux.com/]free[/url]. What price now for a shallow piece of dignity?
[url=http://www.ubuntu.com]sudo apt-get install linux[/url]
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Just wondering what exactly you don't like about Vista? I have Vista and changed everything on it to look like xp (classic view)

I also turned off all the aero functions as they just slow things down and are pretty well useless.

After about 6 months i was flying around vista just as I was xp... :D
www.35mmview.com
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

buksida wrote: There are no problems with XP and SATA hard drives (I'm typing this on a computer installed with it on one).

XP is multi-language and there is no "Thai version", I suspect they have just set your keyboard and location to Thai - which is quite common for a laptop purchased in Thailand.
I'm typing on one too.

You are right that XP works with SATA drives but the installation CD's do not. I know it is weird but true. There are ways to do it but I don't have the resources.

The keyboard is not the problem. Most things are fine but the Thai versions of various software packages ,including Firefox, have Thai menus. As far as XP goes manyu thngs are in Thai and others n English. I didn't think possible either.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

SuperTonic wrote:
So.. you've got a legit copy of XP? Great, install it (though beware Microsoft are eventually going to withdraw support for it, which means no security updates and even MORE viruses). Just use the original disk, not the pirate one.

If all else fails, take a look at http://www.ubuntu.com as it's a legal free alternative and it'll work fine on most PCs. PM me if you try it as I can walk you through any tricky bits.
Can't install it. It won't install over the other version. I will probably have to reformat the hard drive somehow to erase the current version. Then I have the SATA drive isssue when I want to install from the CD. According to Microsoft I will need a floppy with the appropriate driver which is not on the CD.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

Randy Cornhole wrote:Just wondering what exactly you don't like about Vista? I have Vista and changed everything on it to look like xp (classic view)

I also turned off all the aero functions as they just slow things down and are pretty well useless.

After about 6 months i was flying around vista just as I was xp... :D
It was about a year ago and I can't remember the exact problems but they were many. I had trouble with the screwy security when trying to use some of my older files from other PC's. Poor performance etc.

Also I don't want to pay for Vista when I just paid for XP a few months ago.

If I didn't have some applications that can't run on UBUTU that I use all the time I would give up and move on.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I prefer Vista with it's snazzier looks personally, but my laptop isn't a relic. Image
SuperTonic
Suspended
Suspended

Post by SuperTonic »

If you really must use Windows I'd actually highly recommend Windows 7. Trust me, it's a massive leap forwards for Windows. The interface is lovely, the speed is vastly improved over Vista and it's a really nice package. You'll still need the usual windows assortment of firewall, antivirus, etc of course but there's really no escaping that short of moving to a UNIX-based OS.
Libraries gave us power, then work came and made us [url=http://linux.com/]free[/url]. What price now for a shallow piece of dignity?
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I had an OEM-version of XP on my Dell laptop. When the laptop died (it was sent to Bangkok for repair, but they could not get the parts to repair it) I installed XP from the recovery CD on another computer. I had to call Microsoft in Thailand and explain the circumstances and an english-speaking man leaded me through the whole process with entering many long keys. But it worked.
Last edited by pitsch on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I still don't see the problem with SATA drives and the XP installation disc, I set a machine up yesterday with one.

To remove the Thai you need to change your locale and language settings in control panel. For specific software such as Office you need to remove it and install the English versions.

Most stores will just load up their computers with the standard junk regardless of what the customer wants. This is often why it pays to buy a computer from a computer professional as opposed to a supermarket!

These guys maybe able to help further:
http://huahinmedia.com/huahin-computer.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
SuperTonic
Suspended
Suspended

Post by SuperTonic »

buksida wrote:I still don't see the problem with SATA drives and the XP installation disc, I set a machine up yesterday with one.

To remove the Thai you need to change your locale and language settings in control panel. For specific software such as Office you need to remove it and install the English versions.

Most stores will just load up their computers with the standard junk regardless of what the customer wants. This is often why it pays to buy a computer from a computer professional as opposed to a supermarket!

These guys maybe able to help further:
http://huahinmedia.com/huahin-computer.php
I've installed XP on a variety of machines over the years, and would concur that SATA isn't a problem.

Regarding the crapware, agreed, it's a major problem, which is why I always wipe and install my own stuff from scratch.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

i am slightly confused as to what is required, but if you install a thai bought copy of XP, but also have a legit key (maybe your original xp disc is scratched as mine is) you can change the thai key for your legit key

search on the net for KeyUpdateTool

Install your Thai copy, then run KeyUpdateTool, enter your legit code, reboot, and voila, your machine is now legit.

I have done this many times as my legit copy of XP was the victim of a DVD/CD drive coming apart....
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I was an XP fan despite using a pirated version

I found Vista hard to handle until I sat down with a guru who tuned it for me

Randy, what are areo functions?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
baron_wastelanduk
Professional
Professional

xp problems

Post by baron_wastelanduk »

if you are getting the problem where XP cannot identify the SATA drive access the bios F10 on compaq i believe and change the hard disk controller from SATA to ide
save and restart and u can then setup windows normally
CDK

there are three sorts of people in this world those that can count and those that cant