The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Sabai Jai » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:28 pm

Regarding Thai bottled beers: I was told recently that Chang was a "Chemical" beer i.e. it is not Brewed / fermented but is basically; water, flavouring, alcohol and gas - does anyone know if there is any truth in this please? I've been thinking about the commonly found bottled beers recently Singha, Leo, Chang, Heineken, Archer etc. - anyone know if these are beers in the traditional sense, in that they are actual beer - fermented barley malt, hops and water..

I've been working as a Volunteer at some of the CAMRA beer festivals in London this summer which has made me more thoughtful as to what I'm drinking - However, looking forward to being back in Hua Hin from mid-October and a Glass of very cold Thai beer usually goes down very well.

Regards Sabai Jai

oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:49 pm

I have been to the Heineken brewery that is outside BKK and there, for sure, the beer is brewed the traditional way and on the tour, they said, again and again, that the process is identical to that in the Netherlands and that they have to send samples back home for analysis frequently.

buksida

Post by buksida » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:57 pm

Chang certainly tastes chemical - especially when you compare it to some of the brews you get at those UK festivals!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson

centermid7
Professional
Professional

Post by centermid7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:14 am

IF , , , "a Glass of very cold Thai beer usually goes down very well " then what are you worried about?

You didn't think you were going to get an objective opinion here did you ?

handdrummer
Ace
Ace

Post by handdrummer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:34 am

objective and opinion do not belong in the same sentence. At least, that's my objective opinion.