tax at murphs

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Re: tax at murphs

Post by chopsticks »

STEVE G wrote:Yes, it's absolutely no different from drinking in every hotel bar in SE Asia that I've ever visited.
That's the distinction that needs to be made though - service charge & tax added on is usual for hotel bars and restaurants but not usually expected at a pub / bar especially if neighbouring bars are not doing it.
If it's called El Murphy's Hotel and Restaurant as opposed to Murph's bar then maybe that would explain it or, as Richard said, just have a clear pricing policy displayed to avoid any confusion when the bill is presented for payment.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

chopsticks wrote:just have a clear pricing policy displayed to avoid any confusion when the bill is presented for payment.
The last time I was in, it was for about 4 hours. There must have been well in excess of 150 punters (Expats and visitors, Thai and Farang), all having a great time - they were even dancing on the tables. I wasn't aware of any confusion at the end of the night when the band had finished and people were paying their bills. Nothing turns a head faster than somebody making a scene.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

Good to know they're getting it right then and providing a lively entertainment venue for all. :D

They're attracting a different clientele and drink prices become less of an issue.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

richard wrote:SJ as usual and many other posters are missing the points I've made. Off this thread now. Ta Ta :roll: :roll: :roll:
You were only asked some pretty basic questions about your claims, but as usual you decide not to back your own points up, and scurry off. Not really fair to the establishment you're criticizing, is it.

And your points have already been clarified on every page of this thread, hell you even posted just after Murf's original explanation of things a year back, where you're praising the running of the place, and 'agreeing 100%' that posts complaining about these very issues, were 'daft'. Here :? :?

SJ

richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

SJ

Is the alarm system business so bad that you now spend most of your time digging up old posts to then deliver them with an Torpedo?

Firstly, opinions change therefore something posted some months ago is no longer relevant as circumstances have changed

Secondly, my point I've been trying to make is a punter should be aware up front of what he/she is paying for

Thirdly, You run a business. Right? Do you when providing a quote say 'well sort of around 10K'?

Please let's cut the kindergarten crap and please accept that my message was

PUNTERS SHOULD KNOW UP FRONT WHAT THEY ARE PAYING FOR

Are we now going to open a new thread Super Joe vs Richard or Mr Plum?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Super Joe v Richard
That would be a bit of mismatch 8)
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Am I David or Goliath? :laugh:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

I am hedging my bets on this one 8)
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

dozer wrote:I am hedging my bets on this one 8)

Don't put your money on anything on a forum

I'll joust for a spell with people hiding behind a screen but a guy with balls will say what he thinks face to face over a beer or three

Only takes a gauntlet from Loxley to do it :laugh: and these days I can't be bothered with the junior league
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Before you 2 get locked in battle (and make me work overtime), can I do something I don't normally condone ie liken the situation to the UK eg:

- If I want work done on my car, the price given is VAT exclusive.

- If I want to undertake building improvements, the price given is VAT exclusive.

- If I want to buy something at the Oriental Supermarket, the price on the shelf is VAT exclusive.

I could go on, but such practice is common in the UK. I really can't see what the problem is. I think it was E-Dork who said it's a simple calculation, and I agree. It certainly isn't worth arguing about.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Richard wrote:my point I've been trying to make is a punter should be aware up front of what he/she is paying for
It's just a case of feeling whether one has been conned or not. Wherever you go you should be aware of what's it going to cost you up front. You then have a choice. Murf should get on this thread and spell it out otherwise he is going to lose valuable customers who are hesitant about his place. We all need clarification. Maybe he is doing so good business wise he doesn't care a sh1t. Stupid if he thinks that way
And as I pointed out last night, all this has already been clarified in this thread prior to your criticism and emotive words like 'conned', 'doesn’t care a sh1t':
NO service charge (never existed) – clarified by Murf over a year ago on here, and again on every page of this thread
NO cover charge (never existed) - clarified by Murf over a year ago on here, and again on pages 2, 3, 4 & 5 of this thread
NO surcharge on drinks anymore when band are on – clarified in 3 posts before yours, that Murf has said it stopped months ago.
VAT shown separately on bills is a legal requirement – clarified by Murf over a year ago on here, and again on every page of this thread.
So I asked you what is it you think people will feel 'conned' about seeing as all this had already been clarified?, and which other bars in town exactly let you know upfront what you're paying? That's all, simple questions really.

Richard wrote:Maybe he is doing so good business wise he doesn't care a sh1t. Stupid if he thinks that way. Too many bar owners think ' we don't need the resident expats, they are cheap charlies'. Expats can be the bread and butter of a bar in low season. The secret in running any business is good will. Lose that and you are sunk
It had already been said in this thread that they're still doing 'credit crunch' lunches, offering value during the recession, and being loyal to local expats. You don't use the place which is fair enough, but you then post the above after reading these comments from locals who do. And Murf’s post last year clarifying all this stuff, where you posted straight after praising the running of the place, was all about what he's doing to keep prices down, and offer value for us. Here's some of what he said:
Since we opened(4 years) we have not raised our beer prices. During this time the gov. and our suppliers have had many increases but we have resisted passing them on to our loyal custom. Four years we ago were 10/15 b dearer then the local beer/lady bars now we are 10/30 baht cheaper. Due to the credit problems everyone is facing we also introduced our happy times. 99b breakfast and our credit crunch lunch.

What more do you want a place to do, how is this neglecting local expats exactly? It's all very easy to jump on here and criticise someone trying to run a business in hard times, but you at least owe them the courtesy of bothering to read the posts beforehand.

SJ
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

SJ

Once again :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: and please this time try and get the message without dragging historic posting into your posts

PUNTERS SHOULD KNOW UP FRONT WHAT THEY ARE PAYING FOR

Over to you Mr. P I don't have the patience to cross swords with a Kindervanker

This guys a waste of space. Alarming really

:neener:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Richard, in your last two posts you have completely disowned your previous emotive criticisms about 'doesn't care a sh1t', 'conned' and 'stupid', I wonder why :roll:
They are not historical, you made them in the last couple of days.

I'm not dragging historic posts in now, it's already part of this thread and being discussed by posters on every page so far, go and have a look if you don't believe me. It won't work if you keep your eyes shut though. The poster 'chelsea' even re-posted it in full specifically for you, with bright red text, just 2 hours before your 'conned' claim. Hardly historic.

You haven't managed to address a single point yet. You're quite old, aren't you?

SJ
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Old body-wise but not in my head

This thread is becoming a joke

Are you as a sponsor under some sort of protection agreement whereby you never get hit by us plebs and do the powers up high allow you to rant freely?

Anyway BACK TO TOPIC :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Sorry baby-face no more time from me to chat with Kinders. Need a doc to sort you? try the new BK hospital

Over and out :cheers: Very sad really

NOW CAN WE :offtopic: :offtopic: Shit I'm doing a mod jobbie
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Big Boy wrote:Before you 2 get locked in battle (and make me work overtime), can I do something I don't normally condone ie liken the situation to the UK eg:

- If I want work done on my car, the price given is VAT exclusive.

- If I want to undertake building improvements, the price given is VAT exclusive.

- If I want to buy something at the Oriental Supermarket, the price on the shelf is VAT exclusive.

I could go on, but such practice is common in the UK. I really can't see what the problem is. I think it was E-Dork who said it's a simple calculation, and I agree. It certainly isn't worth arguing about.
Yes these VAT exclusive prices are quoted in the UK by certain tradesmen. But NEVER in bars here - never in the majority of retailers (although the VAT is shown sepersately on till receipts) - and never by service providers such as hairdressers etc.
I know we can't directly compare the two countries, and this isn't an attack on any particular business - simply a discussion on what is a fair way to make charges which people will understand and accept.
But further to SJs' comment that it is a legal requirement in Thailand to show VAT seperately on a bin I've got to ask 'since when?' I was VAT registered there and was never told this. True the VAT rate was printed on the bins - but to say it is a 'simple calculation' to add 7% is rubbish.
Clearly most folks seem happy with the situation - fair enough. A few will be capable of doing the mental maths easily. Many aren't.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.