The books and reading thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: The books and reading thread

Post by dtaai-maai »

sateeb wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:16 am Edit..Did a google is my friend and have downloaded a couple of books by John Banville. Anyone read his books?
No, but I've done a bit of research and downloaded a couple. Having said that, I think I might be more interested in the novels he wrote as Benjamin Black - I'm downloading Christine Falls now.

I love this thread, it introduces me to writers I would probably never have stumbled across. I don't always enjoy them, but that's not a problem. The only problem is that I already have more books in Calibre than I'll ever have time to read...
caller wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:58 pm All Boyds books are simply put, amongst the best.[...] Then when the price comes down a bit, I will get 'Trio' and then I'm up to date.
Have you tried Z-library? It's available there.
https://b-ok.cc/s/trio
This is the way
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Have read both John Banville and Benjamin Black - I'm sure I recommended them somewhere earlier in this thread.

He's excellent, writing under both names.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:49 am Have you tried Z-library? It's available there.
Thanks, but my security is warning me, against fear of death, to click on the link in their confirmation email!
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've been using that site to download books for months, its perfectly safe.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

sateeb wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:16 am /\ Thanks for the author tips, I will take a lookie.

I've forsaken the paper editions to save the forests and now use digital, thereby raping our planet of rare earth metals :naughty: :cheers:
If the books are used, the forest has already been raped.

I wonder if publishers have tried to print on synthetic material?

How can I replace toilet paper with a digital product.

In Majorca, I used fig leaves and dug a hole in the ground but that was before the digital age.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

buksida wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:14 pm I've been using that site to download books for months, its perfectly safe.
That's helpful, thanks!

I'll ignore the computer, if I am off line for a while it means the computer has self-destructed! :D

Edit - okay, I am in in. Its suggesting a donation of 10 dollars, for those that use z library, what does that actually get you?
Talk is cheap
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Probably unlimited downloads. If you want to download more than 5 a day then I change my VPN location.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:09 pm
dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:49 am Have you tried Z-library? It's available there.
Thanks, but my security is warning me, against fear of death, to click on the link in their confirmation email!
You can get 5 books a day without registering at all. No need to log in, just go to their site and download. Register and you can get 10 a day, and if you choose to make a contribution you can download more, depending on how much. But I find, somehow, I can manage on 5 books a day! :laugh:
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Okay, thanks for the above info. I guess its a bit like kindle. New books generally have to be paid for - fair enough. I will have aa good look around at some stage.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:28 pm Okay, thanks for the above info. I guess its a bit like kindle. New books generally have to be paid for - fair enough. I will have aa good look around at some stage.
No, not at all, you're missing the point entirely. I'm not registered, but I went to the site yesterday and downloaded 5 books free of charge, including the one you were talking about getting when the price comes down.
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:38 pmNo, not at all, you're missing the point entirely. I'm not registered, but I went to the site yesterday and downloaded 5 books free of charge, including the one you were talking about getting when the price comes down.
Okay, but it seems there is a 'fee' to download to kindle.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Then just download to your hard drive, and then transfer to your kindle.
EDIT: That's what I do - I use Calibre to acquire the book from my hard drive and then send it the kindle.
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:07 pm Then just download to your hard drive, and then transfer to your kindle.
EDIT: That's what I do - I use Calibre to acquire the book from my hard drive and then send it the kindle.
Thanks, I had no idea that was possible. I will look up calibre, which I have never heard of!
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Calibre has been mentioned on this thread before. It's an excellent program for managing your ebooks, does everything including converting them to moni files for kindle.
https://calibre-ebook.com/
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Now reading "Billy Connolly - Tall Tales & Wee Stories" - the downside being I have to do so whilst on the loo, as I continue to pi$$ myself :oops: :wink: :D

Superb read thus far and highly recommended!! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.