Buying an airgun in HuaHin/Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Buying an airgun in HuaHin/Thailand

Post by VincentD »

The good thing about ceramics is that they don't damage heavy structures - the pellets shatter first.
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

VincentD wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:27 pm I still have that sniper airsoft thingamajig and the pigeons still stay clear of the roof. If you have one of those airsoft hobby shops around you in HH, bring your old one that fires ceramic shot, they can upgrade that to a stronger spring among other gubbins. Also get a heavier weight ceramic shot, this helps. I can hear the impact when the pigeons meet with the ceramics, but those buggers are hardy birds. Have actually done in one or two at close range so it's not to be sniffed at. My two bahts worth.
Don't think there is an airsoft shop in HH. The rifle fires true, but I reckon it needs a new spring and the chickens are clearly far dumber than pigeons (and mynah birds) that actually stay away! Ideally, I want to cull some of the roosters as they are beyond counting now and are out of control (noisy fckers too).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You need to find a skillful Thai chicken catcher. :D They may want those roosters for the fighting ring. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

These days, cooking pot more likely.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

As a side note, I have seen snare traps for smaller birds, I'm sure you can find similar for chickens. It's just a series of nylon(wire?) loops with stakes to embed them in the ground. Try those shops that sell all and sundry, and tell them you want to catch chickens. If anything, they'll point you in the right direction.
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

The problem is that the land is open and I wouldn't want to snare any dogs, rodents, other birds, or wildlife ... just those pesky roosters (sounds like a scene out of a cartoon, I know).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I am amazed they are surviving , unusual for free food to be running about in thailand, maybe find a Thai who would catch them for food.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I'm late to this topic, but some people seem to be saying it's possible to kill a dog with a shot from an air rifle?
All you will do is cause it immense pain and suffering. Unload one pellet into a dog's skull and it will run away and probably suffer horribly for months. Surely even a
.22 would not kill it outright?

What sort of people are suggesting that this is a proper course of action to get a good night's sleep or allow their own pet to wander around outside their property?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

404CJ
It's a10 year old thread Buksi revived because he wanted to scare off some chickens.

I won't advocate such a small calibre if you wanted to cull dogs. The person who started the thread is, I believe, long gone from the chat. He was quite adamant in that firearms were the way to go for the control of soi dogs. The rest of us disagreed.

In fact, we were discussing airsoft as a deterrent for the feathered fiends. Capture and cook was the other option being put forward.
Off topic (slightly)
I do not advocate use of firearms in the kingdom as it is a major nono and I am not fond of them either, though many Thais seem obsessed with them.
I am familiar with having an air rifle (Webley, then BSA .22) in the home when it was still allowed in Singapore and have a fair idea as to what kind of damage can be done.
Was also a marksman during military service and have seen what a larger caliber can do.
Back to topic.

Option one, Airsoft, plastic/ceramic 6mm pellets as a bird deterrent, they can cause pain but very little damage. People play with these things at specific parks similar to paintball.
Option two, capture and cook chicken.
วินเชนท์
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

There is only barely enough meat on a free range rooster to make it worth cooking . . . . I don't think I would even try.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes and yes, the loon that wanted to shoot dogs was a decade ago ... and the roosters are scrawny feral feckers that do nothing aside from digging up crops and screeching all day long.

I hate the idea of a big wall around the land, but it would be advantageous in this situ! Will try and get the rifle upgraded.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

centermid7 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:50 pm There is only barely enough meat on a free range rooster to make it worth cooking . . . . I don't think I would even try.
Chickens are good to eat, roosters are not good to eat. Tough and stringy. Their only purpose is to impregnate chickens.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Reviving this as we've still got the rooster problem, and they're multiplying (as is the noise and mess).

Since airguns are illegal for white devils, I've found an alternative in a PCP rifle (pre-charged pneumatic). These are readily available on Laz and appear to be quite powerful, at least where the plague of roosters will be concerned. They appear to fire the same lead pellets as a spring-powered air rifle and are largely used for vermin control (which would be the case here).

Anyone have any experience with them? I've never seen such a weapon outside of Thailand. How are they refilled? Do you need to buy a gas canister or replace the tank every time?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pcp-8 ... 14672.html

(Obviously, I would get a Thai to purchase it and do the trigger pulling, but they will be paid handsomely for returning some serenity to our property.)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Anyone have any experience with them? I've never seen such a weapon outside of Thailand. How are they refilled? Do you need to buy a gas canister or replace the tank every time?
If you scroll down the page on that link it shows some HP air pumps, which I would venture to say are for pressurising the gun.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'd never heard of PCP air guns before but I've just had a read and apparently you can charge them with a stirrup pump, as mentioned above, or from a diving tank.
They seem to operate at high pressure so I can imagine a lot of pumping!