Amazing Nature

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Big Boy

Re: Amazing Nature

Post by Big Boy »

I'd never used the feature before, but thanks, it showed the butterfly much better.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Spot on DB :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bear attacks in Japan are at a record high. Climate change and an aging population are making the problem worse

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/09/asia ... index.html

You see any Buks while there? Map of risk areas and photos at link.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Don’t need the slow-mo with this one!!

This was taken from inside my garden - the dogs had started barking and I thought it was a snake - I’d say that from nose to tail it was a good 2m long - beautiful.
buksida

Post by buksida »

PeteC wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:50 pm You see any Buks while there? Map of risk areas and photos at link.
We were warned about bears in Kamikochi but didnt see any.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:12 am This was taken from inside my garden - the dogs had started barking and I thought it was a snake - I’d say that from nose to tail it was a good 2m long - beautiful.
Certainly not something I get to see in the garden in West Wales!! Hell of a creature!! :thumb:

And the same applies to this little 'un...

"The skull of a colossal sea monster has been extracted from the cliffs of Dorset's Jurassic Coast.

It belongs to a pliosaur, a ferocious marine reptile that terrorised the oceans about 150 million years ago.

The 2m-long fossil is one of the most complete specimens of its type ever discovered and is giving new insights into this ancient predator.

The skull will be featured in a special David Attenborough programme on BBC One on New Year's Day."

Capture.JPG
(136.12 KiB) Downloaded 38025 times
More @ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67650247

:cheers: :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

The oceans. So calming yet so violently destructive. Mother nature has us all in the palm of her hands. :D

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Adding to the last post, remembered these two clips I watched recently. First one can skip to 30sec. No tsunami, shows the ocean retreating in actual waves just before.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

No "lost", Nature is certainly no joke and "Mother" or "Gaia" are not to be messed with - "Bitten on the Arse" can be and certainly is an understatement at times. Unfortunately, more payback to come our way the way we are doing things at the moment.....

On the other side though, there's always some light!! The photo below is taken from "Winners of The 2023 BigPicture Natural World Photography Competition" (link at end), so could well be put in the Photography Thread, but in this instance I feel better suited here for obvious reasons: -

"All My Children: Human/Nature Finalist. Chimpanzees share nearly 99 percent of their DNA with human beings. At the Lwiro Primate Sanctuary in Kahuzi-Biega National Park in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, this genetic bond is perhaps reflected in the relationships that form between orphaned chimps and their human caregivers. Wild chimps typically stay close to their mothers until they’re about 5 years old, so when a mother is killed by poachers, the separation can cause irreparable harm for young, developing chimps. Many of the orphaned chimpanzees brought to the sanctuary by Congolese wildlife officials arrive carrying both physical and emotional wounds. The healing at the sanctuary goes both ways: Some of the caregivers who feed, cuddle, and help rehabilitate chimps are themselves victims of sexual abuse who have found independence and employment working with chimpanzees. The photographer Marcus Westberg, who spent weeks at the sanctuary, said that caregivers treat the chimpanzees as tenderly if they’re human children, and the young chimps, likewise, often act like kids—alternately playful, mischievous, and vulnerable."
Taking Care.jpg
(143.6 KiB) Downloaded 37507 times
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2023/ ... on/674419/

All the very best for the New Year guys and gals - there are positive things in life!!

:cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Engineering and Technology Thread

Post by dtaai-maai »

Extremely rare white whale sighted off Thailand

Video shows the moment stunned tourists were greeted by a rare white Omura's whale off the coast of Phuket, Thailand.

The first living Omura’s whale was seen in the wild in 2015, but this is the first known sighting of what could be an albino of the species off Thailand.

The discovery, on 1 January, sparked a search by marine experts, who successfully tracked more of the rare whales - but not the white one.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Quite something - unfortunately the tourists (and Chinese) will flood in. Cracking on the Thai Tourist front, unfortunately not so much for nature methinks. :cry:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Astronomy, cosmology and space thread

Post by dtaai-maai »

Not sure where to put this - the 'weird' thread seemed a tad cruel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68017390
Dog with six legs has operation to remove extra limbs
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Astronomy, cosmology and space thread

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:05 pm Not sure where to put this - the 'weird' thread seemed a tad cruel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68017390
Dog with six legs has operation to remove extra limbs
Not sure if the astronomy thread quite fits either DM. :laugh:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, we'll try here then... :thumb:

Not been working on those "Flood Defenses" again have you DM.... :D :wink: :duck: